Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year Sony surpassed MS in performance by sheer luck since MS has poured resources on Kinect 2 and TV. With MS's resources and software expertise along with huge R&D spent in general on various solutions, I honestly doubt Sony would manage to reach yet alone surpass MS's offrring. It is amazing how well rounded it is this time around, incorporating various state of the art technologies. The thing doesnt sound like a beast only in numbers. Its all these additional solutions that improve efficiency by a large margin that are expected to immensely heighten image quality and variety on screen. And I am sure we have yet to hear everything.

Last year Sony surpassed MS in performance by sheer luck since MS has poured resources on Kinect 2 and TV. With MS's resources and software expertise along with huge R&D spent in general on various solutions, I honestly doubt Sony would manage to reach yet alone surpass MS's offrring..
Ergh, this just sounds like a bitter post like those around PS4 only being successful due to MS dropping the ball. Credit where it’s due, Cell for example was a beast if flawed CPU and had nothing to do with MS.

It is amazing how well rounded it is this time around, incorporating various state of the art technologies. The thing doesnt sound like a beast only in numbers. Its all these additional solutions that improve efficiency by a large margin that are expected to immensely heighten image quality and variety on screen. And I am sure we have yet to hear everything.

yep, both machines will be great

And 16gb of ram should be enough to move from the current standard of about 1k per meter to 2k. But that's just reaching "Good enough for sharp 1080p" most of the time, not the quadruple that you'd want for actual 4k. Still I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 ended up with the same.

I thought that virtual texturing mean that RAM should have stopped being an issue for texture density in this gen. Sampler Feedback Streaming means that anyone lagging on that will catch up?

Last year Sony surpassed MS in performance by sheer luck since MS has poured resources on Kinect 2 and TV. With MS's resources and software expertise along with huge R&D spent in general on various solutions, I honestly doubt Sony would manage to reach yet alone surpass MS's offrring. It is amazing how well rounded it is this time around, incorporating various state of the art technologies. The thing doesnt sound like a beast only in numbers. Its all these additional solutions that improve efficiency by a large margin that are expected to immensely heighten image quality and variety on screen. And I am sure we have yet to hear everything.
Wait, what year is it?

I think 11.6 is pretty new one, here is the TF stocks of PS5:
vMGXkwO.jpg

Shit, should have bought Sony stocks at 9.2. Are they still available in the market? Strangely they are not affected by Covid-19.

Talking about performance and price only

And? You essentially give no credit to Sony for the PS5, it was/is a great machine...only held back by the CPU but even today the games coming out look amazing and are not struggling like previous generations. The PS4 was a very well designed machine regardless of what MS did or didn’t do, even if you take out Kinect the machines are same price but PS5 is substantially more powerful.

Pre event Boxing hype info is there to sell fight get bums on seats. They do it early now because it matters.
Pre console hype is there to do the same thing.
If you want to sell something to someone you find a way of implanting that in their mind, the sooner the better.
Is it going to make a huge difference, ...
Is it going to make any difference?

PS5 isn't a 'new' product so doesn't need implanting. The public consciousness already has PlayStation implanted with it being one of the strongest brands in the world. The brand isn't presently fading away. I can't see any evidence that Sony needs to make a move now or that there'll be any fallout for them maintaining a prolonged silence, and it's easy to come up with situations where the late discussion is actually beneficial. eg. Coronavirus is ended, lots of misery wants to be got past, bam, here's the future, PlayStation, fun fun fun after all that quarantining and shitty bums.

I can see cases for a positive impact. I can't see any for a negative on being late. The only negative I can see is inadequate marketing and not enough noise, but that's not dependent on duration of that noise. As long as PS5 is properly marketed ahead of release, it'll do as well as if Sony had been talking about it for the past three years non-stop.

And? You essentially give no credit to Sony for the PS5, it was/is a great machine...only held back by the CPU but even today the games coming out look amazing and are not struggling like previous generations. The PS4 was a very well designed machine regardless of what MS did or didn’t do, even if you take out Kinect the machines are same price but PS5 is substantially more powerful.

Back to the future?, sry just had to since you used PS5:D

I have no idea what am I supposed to discuss with you here. You are assuming I am implying Sony made a bad design for PS4.
I am talking about the performance/price in relation to competition.
Regardless how well designed the PS4 was, the One's hardware choices were affected by the fact that Kinect 2 was going to be packed in as standard which took a portion of the BOM cost and was supposed to be factored in the retail price.
Why are you so annoyed by the possibility that MS has produced the better hardware this time around?

I have no idea what am I supposed to discuss with you here. You are assuming I am implying Sony made a bad design for PS4.
I am talking about the performance/price in relation to competition.
Regardless how well designed the PS4 was, the One's hardware choices were affected by the fact that Kinect 2 was going to be packed in as standard which took a portion of the BOM cost and was supposed to be factored in the retail price.
Why are you so annoyed by the possibility that MS has produced the better hardware this time around?

Im not annoyed at that and have no idea why you think that. You said Sony only did well with PS4 because MS went with Kinect 2 right?

Well, even if you take Kinect 2 out of the equation you have the same price but PS4 with a significant power advantage.

As such, Sony did a good job with the PS4 regardless of MS with One. The only area they could have done better was cooling (and CPU).

Im not annoyed at that and have no idea why you think that. You said Sony only did well with PS4 because MS went with Kinect 2 right?
Show me where I mentioned anything about sales or success in my post.

Well, even if you take Kinect 2 out of the equation you have the same price but PS4 with a significant power advantage.
Ahm.....yeah? Because you cant factor out Kinect 2 when the One was designed?

Show me where I mentioned anything about sales or success in my post.
I meant power, you initially said Sony only beat MS (in power and price) due to Kinect 2.

.....yeah? Because you cant factor out Kinect 2 when the One was designed?
Im confused, the Kinect 2 BoM was $75 from memory. So the One BoM was roughly the same as PS4...as such Sony made a more powerful machine for the same/similar BoM, or am I missing something? You’re suggesting MS deliberately underpowered One because Kinect 2? But still paid the same price?

Last edited:
I meant power, you initially said Sony only beat MS (in power and price) due to Kinect 2.

Im confused, the Kinect 2 BoM was $75 from memory. So the One BoM was roughly the same as PS4...as such Sony made a more powerful machine for the same/similar BoM, or am I missing something? You’re suggesting MS deliberately underpowered One because Kinect 2? But still paid the same price?

How are you this confused?

There is a launch price that's set to hit a certain target. In that price, a portion of the BOM has to be set aside for Kinect 2. That means the BOM budget for the main console is reduced.

The competition doesn't have that burden so they can allocate the budget towards the main console.

How are you this confused?

There is a launch price that's set to hit a certain target. In that price, a portion of the BOM has to be set aside for Kinect 2. That means the BOM budget for the main console is reduced.

The competition doesn't have that burden so they can allocate the budget towards the main console.
Both machines (Kinect excluded) have the same/similar BoM.

IIRC shortly after launch when they dropped Kinect they had RRP price parity.

Both machines (Kinect excluded) have the same BoM.

IIRC shortly after launch when they dropped Kinect they had RRP price parity.
Yes, but reason why they went with DDR3 RAM in the first place was to guarantee Kinect/TV stuff working as intended. This in turn resulted in bigger die but less compute, and things spiralled downwards after that.

Had MS engineers given a budget to design 360mm² chip with 2TF as first requirement, you would likely see same design as with PS4.

Yes, but reason why they went with DDR3 RAM in the first place was to guarantee Kinect/TV stuff working as intended. This in turn resulted in bigger die but less compute, and things spiralled downwards after that.

Had MS engineers given a budget to design 360mm² chip with 2TF as first requirement, you would likely see same design as with PS4.

Thanks. Although the PS4 RAM was quite a bit more expensive...so going with that RAM allowed them to have more CUs.

Still unsure how Sony making the right choice was sheer luck, but there you go!

Last edited:
I asked my Google assistant how many TF the PS5 has and depending on different ways of asking the question, she answered 8, 11 and 13.3, I was not able to get her say 9.2:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back