Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I don't think it's possible to ship a hybrid BDXL disc with four or six layers and have the standard dual-layer drives in existing Xbox Ones work by just reading the top two layers. The Xbox One consoles that includeBlu-ray 4K support should be fine though but what portion of the Xbox One console base that is I don't know.

I feel that hybrid media formats have always packed more problems than they solve, I remember they were a rare thing on Commodore 64/Atari 5.25" disks and Amiga/Atari ST 3.5" discs and everything after.

All hail the flipper :D

The Xbox One consoles that include Blu-ray 4K support should be fine though but what portion of the Xbox One console base that is I don't know.

So that's everyone with an One S or One X and only those with Launch model One that could be impacted. The One S released in 2016. During a January 2016 EA conference their CEO indicated Xbox One sold around 18 to 19 million units. So you have maybe 21 million original Xbox One units without UHD support.

What percentage of original Xbox One models are still in service?
I imagine a lot of those people upgraded to S, X, PS4, or Switch.
MS would have a pretty good idea since the things "phone home" every time you turn them on. Unless they're specifically set to Offline Mode.

What percentage of original Xbox One models are still in service?
I imagine a lot of those people upgraded to S, X, PS4, or Switch.
Why? It's a perfectly working console that hasn't had trouble with hardware failure. I expect almost all of them to be in service where people felt the S wasn't worth the asking money, or sold on to fund an S or X purchase, or donated to siblings/friends when an alternative bought.

Might be reading into this tweet too much but "Looks better than Gears has ever looked." sure sounds like it could have some feature that is not even on the PC?
If they are new enchantments yes; this would be a reasonable guess. Designing a feature set around cutting edge 12TF RT/VRS console should be notable and above a majority of PC players. Now that the console will arrive, these features may be well worth pursuing.

"97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations." Beat that Sony :runaway: Lol can't wait for the fanboy numbers game this gen. This was another good one "Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing." :runaway:

Thats great... but maybe not so great.
I honestly didn´t got the context!

I think it´s great that the RT has no impact on the GPU performance. So that the 12 Tflops will be fully available when using the RT.
But the RT is equivalent to a 13 Tflops card... And it is stated:

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone,"

Now... As I understand it, this may not be so great as it seems. Apparently they are saying the RT performance is equivalent to a 13 Tflops card doing it on software.
This is not much better than a Titan X doing RT, and about RTX 2060 to RTX 2070 performance.

Those cards are not really capable of RT at 4K!

More data is required!

I think it´s great that the RT has no impact on the GPU performance. So that the 12 Tflops will be fully available when using the RT.
Just make sure you understand that just like with Turing, it's the BVH structure stage of RT (ray intersection tests) that is accelerated separate from the shaders, but the rest of the RT work is still done by the regular cores. There's no "RT for free", just faster than normal.

Very Nifty info about how they might have HDR support for all BC titles by using what was learned when working on Gears 5 with ML (quoted from ResetEra @ https://www.resetera.com/threads/al...evs-testing-unlocked-fps.175356/post-29935577 ).

EvilBoris-HDTVtest said:
I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.

I think I'm most curious about the power consumption and noise level the PS5 and XBSX achieve. Hopefully not noisier than PS4 Pro if provided with a nice open area with 70F ambient.

This is really making Sony look miles behind...I expect Sony to make some noise soon.

On topic, the love the loading and game switching..,but does anyone know if it will work between profiles? That’s a big pain this gen, having to completely restart a game if someone else launched it. But then, as games will load so much quicker I doubt it’ll matter much.

Loving the performance level, who thought we’d be getting 2080 levels this gen?

This is really making Sony look miles behind...I expect Sony to make some noise soon.

On topic, the love the loading and game switching..,but does anyone know if it will work between profiles? That’s a big pain this gen, having to completely restart a game if someone else launched it. But then, as games will load so much quicker I doubt it’ll matter much.

My wild guess is they're using a game cache that is specific to the machine. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some sort of issue when switching profiles causing the games to "spazz" like they do today. Hopefully they get that worked out in time. I've had a game or two spazz out when my controller disconnected but the second player's didn't -- I might as well had switched profiles entirely, but at least it only kicked out to the title screen of the game.

Back