Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they are on the move. They have one powerful SKU, so whatever MS prices Lockhart makes no difference to them, they will go toe to toe with XSX.
Yeah I guess you're right, unless people still into that PS5 Pro rumor.
Also Tommy mentioned Raytracing is faster on PS5 too,
RayTracing Accelerators: PS5>X1 (PS5's RT works by using acceleration structures and algorithms much like nVidia's RTX cores)
I haven't caught up with all of today's videos but can anyone describe what XSX's RT function is like, is it similar to RTX's?

The ball is decidedly in Sony’s court now!! Wait - did MS confirm the price??
No, but it might not be as expensive as originally imagined. A 360 mm² SoC isn't massive. It seems manufacturing tech can make a 12 TF monster still in the realms of affordable. RAM capcaity isn't huge, so won't be massively expensive. NVMe drive will cost reduce rapidly. I reckon $499 like XB1X.

Also none of this talk is baseless. Probably all factual XBSX talk shouldn't be here.

Factual Xbox Seies X discussion here.

Last edited:
*khm* *khm*

In defense of a Gospel :
  • Confirmed 320bit bus
  • Confirmed chip with 56CUs
  • Confirmed RT/VRS
  • Confirmed Arden codename
Now, considering XBX had 4 more active CUs then retail one, perhaps this is why we can find 56CUs there. In my defense, 325MHz difference was seen as one of issues with the difference between the two, as I had hard time reconciling MS would go for such low clocks and low exploatation of die if Sony could get to 2.0GHz (for non believers, I can find the post).

If Git showed 56CU chip, and we got 64, I would have been more impressed by critics ;)

Now, if PS5 is 13.3TF, Sony can respond nay moment, so all we can do is wait.

But I thought Sony always had same chip and clocks in dev kits as in retail, no? We know XBX had full die enabled (44 v 40 active in retail).

No, no, no...

From what I read, GIthub stated 56 active CU... Not 56 total.
Same as PS5. 36 active, not 36 total.

No, no, no...

From what I read, GIthub stated 56 active CU... Not 56 total.
Same as PS5. 36 active, not 36 total.
Tbh it said 3584 shader units theoretical, and since OBR theoretical and measured matched, it was assumed they match with Arden as well.

Now, truth be told, MS did have full chip active with dev kits compared to their retail, cut down version, but AFAIK Sony never did. They always had same chip as in retail.

Still...56CUs on die, 320bit bus, 560GB/s for GPU, Arden codename. Seems like it got alot of things right ;)

In the video they talk about the soc being used in Xcloud, and running 4 X1S games on the single soc.

Wonder how much economy of scale there is to ordering, not just for the console but for the cloud from the start.
Especially with the benefits that xsx gives in terms of ssd etc. Memory could be costly though.
But running 4 compared to the 1 currently must be a net win.

You should give credit to Phil Spencer when he already implied 12TF back in December, sadly since he's not verified in era or gaf people don't trust him at all.

After today, the 9/12TF seem very real. One could say that github wasn’t final, but very much close to it.

But almost no one guessed this. That is why he gets credited. Why water that down?:LOL:

Almost every ’leak’ has been around 12tf, and around 2gb/s for the ssd. He didnt guess the ssd even.

If PS5 SOC is 50mm2 smaller than xsx I guess SONY really aims at 2GHz or more.
You are referring to AquariusZi post about 300-350mm²? Yea, I was thinking the same.

Funny how people said he must have been wrong as XSX is "400mm²".

He also said yesterday there will be Navi 2 card with similar size to Navi 10, but with considerably better performances. I guess ~15% on clocks and ~15-20% in IPC.

In the video they talk about the soc being used in Xcloud, and running 4 X1S games on the single soc.

Wonder how much economy of scale there is to ordering, not just for the console but for the cloud from the start.
Especially with the benefits that xsx gives in terms of ssd etc. Memory could be costly though.
But running 4 compared to the 1 currently must be a net win.

At the moment they squeeze 4 standard XBone MB's into a shelf. They might even do better with XSX. Power should be fine. Shelves can go well above 4x300W? Not sure about cooling.

You are referring to AquariusZi post about 300-350mm²? Yea, I was thinking the same.

Funny how people said he must have been wrong as XSX is "400mm²".

He also said yesterday there will be Navi 2 card with similar size to Navi 10, but with considerably better performances. I guess ~15% on clocks and ~15-20% in IPC.
I don’t see this article. Link please?

Almost every ’leak’ has been around 12tf, and around 2gb/s for the ssd. He didnt guess the ssd even.
No they weren't. That is my point. Everyone said 12TF flat out. No one said "12.1TF" or "52CU@1.82ghz" except for this one person. Especially so for the SSD.
What did he get wrong?

What did he get wrong?

He did get things right, like others, but also wrong, like the ps5 feb reveal that never happened, or the lockhart thingy.
He could have been telling the truth, we wont know yet. Also, thats the xsx specs, we know MS is much more forward with their plans then sony.
If anything, the ms reveal today doesnt change much for the ps5, as both github and insider got things roughly right.

Sony just seems much more secretive about their console, i highly doubt any insider knew so much and that accurate that early on.
But time will tell, maybe ps5 will be 15TF (or what was latest verified leak), just have to wait, great times ahead.

I think if you believe the recent insiders that PS5 is around ~11-12 tflops and couple that with the 2GHz clock rumors, that could be achievable with a 44 CU GPU.

Add 4 more for redundancy and keep the bus to 256-bits, and I think you end up with an SOC thats around 320mm.

So only way 560GB/s would be enough for 12TF chip would be this arrangement. Expecting similar from Sony? Price for their memory could be higher then MS if they go with 16Gbps, let alone 18Gbps.
The only reason they would go with this over the same memory speed for all memory is to cut cost. The bandwidth isn't additive so they just want to hit 560GB/s for at least the most used bit of memory. Maybe originally planned on 20GB at full speed but cut to 16 with the rise of memory costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back