Zelda: Links Awakening

Bought and just finished this game... WOW... it's amazing.
Its a remake from a 1993 Gameboy game. And it's incredible how well the game stood through time.
The game is huge, and besides the map and dungeons, has locked parts that you can only access later with new gadgets you get by advancing in the game.
It has great puzzles, great design, it's a full fledged Zelda game (although Zelda is not present in the game), and got amazed that the Gameboy, although with worst gfx, had such a great game back in 1993.
This game explains quite well how Zelda got his reputation of a great game so early on. If I'm not wrong, this is the fourth Zelda game ever created, and the first on handheld

I had already played Zelda games on Wii (Skyward Sword), and DS (Spirit tracks), as well as on Switch (Breath of the Wild), but even so this game surprised me. None of the previous games I played were from 1993, and created on a gameboy.
And seeing how good this game was, was really, really surprising... I highly recomend.

Anyone else played this?

Zelda-FOFO.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Legend-of-Zelda-Links-Awakening-How-to-Move-Rocks.jpg

Next Image: Gameboy and Gameboy color on the left. Switch on the right.

lmptlsl-1

Last edited:
I would consider buying a Switch for that. My first Game Boy game(& the only one I ever finished) was the DX version.

Tommy McClain

The DX was the gameboy color version, right?

I just read this game was created by the Nintendo team on spare time... Incredible! The game is just awesome!

Wich one is that? Cannot remember even though I finished the game recently.
the one where you need to get item A, then trade for B, then trade for C and so on.

oh and my right joycon stick is still broken, so ZLA is the only game i can play (it ignores right stick). So im doubly annoyed hahaha.

the one where you need to get item A, then trade for B, then trade for C and so on.

oh and my right joycon stick is still broken, so ZLA is the only game i can play (it ignores right stick). So im doubly annoyed hahaha.

There arent a lot of places you can go to trade. All trading is made on the city house.
There are a couple of exceptions though, with some houses outside of cities.
The most dificult place to find is on the beach, where you find your sword. There is a wall you need to bomb to open a cave. That cave will give access to a place where to trade the final item and get the boomerang.
As for when to trade, and what to trade, if you have a useless object... you have to trade.
Is the object is good, you will need to use it to reach other places. And when you get stuck again... time to see the new places you have to trade.

The DX was the gameboy color version, right?

I just read this game was created by the Nintendo team on spare time... Incredible! The game is just awesome!
So during the non-working hours? It is hard for me to imagine anyone in the industry finding spare time during the expected working hours.
Unless there is spare working force

So during the non-working hours? It is hard for me to imagine anyone in the industry finding spare time during the expected working hours.
Unless there is spare working force

To be fair the game was rather simplistic with smaller scope than a mainline Zelda game. And also take into account that game development back then was significantly less complex and time intensive compared to modern day games.

A "AAA" game back then might have had a huge team with over 10 people on it (most were smaller than that). A "AAA" modern game can have 100's of people working on it.

Still pretty cool, though. :)

Regards,
SB

To be fair the game was rather simplistic with smaller scope than a mainline Zelda game. And also take into account that game development back then was significantly less complex and time intensive compared to modern day games.

A "AAA" game back then might have had a huge team with over 10 people on it (most were smaller than that). A "AAA" modern game can have 100's of people working on it.

Still pretty cool, though. :)

Regards,
SB
Doesnt matter how simplistic the original was. The new one has a level of refinement that requires lots of work even if it is not a AAA title

Doesnt matter how simplistic the original was. The new one has a level of refinement that requires lots of work even if it is not a AAA title

Well sure, but I was only addressing the fact that the original was started as an after hours project by some staff (specifically Kazuaki Morita) at Nintendo before later becoming an actively developed Nintendo title. So yes, it is cool and interesting. But it was possible because development was much simpler then.

The remake was a full blown Nintendo project.

Regards,
SB

Well sure, but I was only addressing the fact that the original was started as an after hours project by some staff (specifically Kazuaki Morita) at Nintendo before later becoming an actively developed Nintendo title. So yes, it is cool and interesting. But it was possible because development was much simpler then.

The remake was a full blown Nintendo project.

Regards,
SB
Oh you meant the original game was made during their spare time? I thought you were talking about the remake

Back