The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Been watching a Netflix series called Black Summer.
Due to this lack of attachment to characters, the sometimes long slow sequences, I can see this style not being very popular. I find I'm rather engrossed in it, the change is refreshing on what appears at surface to be very generic.

I'm enjoying this Black Summer series more than I thought I would, mostly from its focus on events and lack of character drama. I think I'm midway through episode 5 and will likely finish the entire 8 episode season tonight.

Netflix's series I Am Not Okay With This. It's fairly short (~ 140 minutes) and is broken down into 7 episodes of ~20 minutes after the 2.5 minutes of Ending Credits is stripped from the time. It's based on a comic of the same name. I had no knowledge of it, but found it enjoyable. It's on my watch list for if/when Season 2 or Part 2 drops.

It was a bit difficult to figure out exactly what time period it's set in, so I looked it up and it's set in modern day, despite the music queues from the 80s and a display of vintage items like VHS and Tape decks. It just doesn't show or focus on cell-phones and tablets except for a random mention here or there.

To fill my time until WW3 on 3.15.2020 I am now watching complete series of shows that I entirely missed when they were originally shown. At the time they were on I was completely busy with work and didn't have a DVR at the time or just didn't know about them.

First up: Veronica Mars

I binged watched S1 - S3 over 5 days - all 64 episodes, 40-45 minutes each. Originally aired from September 2004 to May 2006 on UPN. Now that I have done that the wife is watching it for the first time with me 2 episodes a night for the next 32 days.

https://thetvdb.com/series/veronica-mars

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/veronica_mars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Mars

Loved the show and was disappointed that it only lasted 3 seasons. S3's last episode ended with a cliff hanger so it looked like it should have continued so I guess the UPN network decided not to pick it up.

In fact, I now see that was a S4 pilot for the CW but the network didn't pick it up.
A pilot for season 4 that never got picked up. In this pilot Veronica has joined the FBI after college and is now working as an agent.

https://thetvdb.com/series/veronica-mars/episodes/1086491

If anyone knows where I can obtain this S4 pilot I would be very grateful

There also was a movie released in 2014 and a S4 reboot in 2019 that had the same main characters but since it was set 9-14 years later it didn't have the same feel and I was disappointed because of that. I know that they had to account for the years the actors aged and had to set it then because of that but the original 3 seasons where she was in high school and college were the most fun.

2014 Movie
https://thetvdb.com/movies/veronica-mars

2019 S4 - 8 episodes
https://thetvdb.com/series/veronica-mars/seasons/official/4

Last edited:
Altered Carbon turned out very good I think, really enjoyed it though the different characters didn’t quite manage the same intensity ...

I was pretty ok with I’m not ok with this as well, though a bit dark. The norwegian show Ragnarok was pretty decent too.

Castlevania continuous to be a pleasant surprise with the latest season.

Altered Carbon season 2 was around the same feeling for me as season 1. It's ok but the writing and characters are lacklustre. An enjoyable ride but little substance.

Altered Carbon season 2 was around the same feeling for me as season 1. It's ok but the writing and characters are lacklustre. An enjoyable ride but little substance.

For me the characters are even more lackluster than season 1.

The "gap" on the main character is gone. Totally gone.

I mean in the s1 he is the mind of person that can wear a serious clothing while lugging a pink backpack.

In the s2 he's your typical overly serious soldier hero guy.

Although thinking back, this could be the result of the events in the ending of s1... So his personality changes...

Btw the Harman world portrayed also too pedestrian. On s1 the world feels more futuristic mysterious

I thought the ending kind of saved the latest season of Altered Carbon, I'm still thinking about all the ramifications/implications/complications/strange new realities. If I'm doing that it had to have impacted me, and I loved the character progression of Poe. :love:

Trying to decide if Doctor Who jumped the shark or just became brilliant, I'm still sort of torn tbh.

Doctor Who continues down the sad decay spiral. They need to just stop, let it go a decade or two.

I was an avid viewer and fan during the Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat time as writers and showrunners. I used to look forward to the next episode now I don't even care.

Chris Chibnall is the absolute worst writer and showrunner. I feel no connections to any companions and the Doctor is not the Doctor at all.

This thread speaks to me as to why it now really sucks:

Why are so many people disappointed with Doctor Who Series 11?
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-so-many-people-disappointed-with-Doctor-Who-Series-11

Thomas Pool states it best:

Thomas Poole, Amateur Historian and Psychologist
Answered Nov 9, 2018 · Author has 176 answers and 89.6k answer views

The most annoying thing for most fans is that it doubles down on all of the things that have made so many potentially good films and shows go so wrong in the past two or so years.

A Female Lead (Because Diversity y’all): I think Jodie Whittaker is actually not a bad choice for the Doctor I think her character is a bit too much Tennant/Smith lite and the costume is a bit naff but She’s done pretty well and I think those shortcomings are more down to the writers than anything else. I actually think that a lot of complaints about most female leads recently (Being a Mary Sue, doesn’t need help from anybody, no flaws at all) actually make the Doctor a pretty good role for a woman. The Doctor is meant to be hyper intelligent, competent and adaptable, you can’t just complain about the Doctor being overpowered because honestly, that’s the Doctor’s whole schtick. That being said, it’s obvious to anyone with half a brain that they went with a female lead because diversity. We didn’t need a female doctor, it wasn’t necessary and to be frank, the Doctor is probably best left male. Those who complain about the lack of female leads generally also want to stop young boys being exposed to so many macho, gung ho action man male leads. In comparison the Doctor runs away, is a pacifist, uses his intelligence, empathy and diplomacy to solve problems and forgives genocidal maniacs who killed his people. He’s probably the best role model for young boys out there and making the Doctor a woman doesn’t really bring anything to the character.

A Diverse cast (Because we need dark skin and women to not be racist): I don’t mind having a diverse cast per se but the reasons for it have to be related to telling the story and not just for the sake of diversity. I would prefer that instead of focusing on hiring actors for their skin colour or including disabilities or cancer just for those extra diversity points that they write characters with greater diversity of thought and then hire whichever actor best suits the role. The main point of Doctor who is to tell morality tales and explore current issues or potential future issues in a way that is entertaining and not overly taxing or preachy. Focusing on the way characters think and how they agree or conflict with the Doctor (and indeed the villain) makes for a far better story. It would be far more interesting to have someone with High Functioning Autism or a properly written Psychopath be a companion and see how they deal with conflicts and ethical conundrums. On a positive note I think Yaz actually has great potential in this respect. Despite being unable to stop seeing and hearing Constable Habeeb from ‘The Thin Blue Line’ whenever she’s on screen I think that, properly handled, her idealism and stubbornness could be written into some interesting interactions and conflicts with the Doctor and the other companions.

Over the top political commentary: Leading on from the point above Doctor who is about introducing ideas and making you think about various solutions. What it shouldn’t be is blatant, beating you over the head with a hint hammer levels of obvious. The straight white man bashing is tiresome and ridiculous. Yes, we know Trump’s mean but are you seriously so unimaginative as to make a blindingly obvious facsimile of him a villain. One good episode that demonstrates how to properly handle ethical issues is when the Doctor and Donna first encounter the Ood. Donna isn’t a black woman relating to the slaves because she’s black, she’s someone who enjoys and takes her freedom for granted being confronted with the idea that a so called advanced civilisation could lobotomise and sell off intelligent and gentle beings. The message is clear but it’s presented in a way that makes it a watchable and enjoyable sci-fi show.

Bad/pandering writers: Whatever your opinion of Broadchurch Chibnall is a bad writer for Doctor Who. He doesn’t get what the fans want, how to pace a Who script or have the range to deal with the fact that Doctor Who can be pure sci-fi on week, a tragedy the next and pure horror the week after (Two excellent Horror episodes being Blink and Midnight, compare that with Chibnall’s giant spiders). Chibnall also seems perfectly happy to just go along with everything listed above that annoys the fans and not do anything different.

I think at this point people have accepted that this is the cast we’re going to have and don’t really dislike them that much as characters, they just want good episodes, interesting writing and less attempted political indoctrination

Last edited:
I thought the ending kind of saved the latest season of Altered Carbon, I'm still thinking about all the ramifications/implications/complications/strange new realities. If I'm doing that it had to have impacted me, and I loved the character progression of Poe. :love:

Trying to decide if Doctor Who jumped the shark or just became brilliant, I'm still sort of torn tbh.

yeah, i even almost shed tears with some of his scenes.

yep, Docrot Who this season is werd. The 5 sidekicks also inconsistent. Sometimes they are awesome, sometimes some of them simply forgotten by the episode, sometimes they are annoying, sometimes they are worse than side characters.

BTW - Why haven't we talked about Avenue 5 on HBO? The season finale is tonight and last week's episode almost had me wet my pants I was laughing so hard!

Aside from everything else, it's humor can get so dark so fast as well as all the hilarious throw away lines. ("Like that guy who shat himself at the Superbowl, who was that?", "Daniel Radcliffe?", "Yup, that's the one")

You can tell Armando Ianucci is heavily involved in the production of Avenue 5. Very dark and satirical, even if the SF geek in me rolls his eyes at some of the illogical plot points.

You can tell Armando Ianucci is heavily involved in the production of Avenue 5. Very dark and satirical, even if the SF geek in me rolls his eyes at some of the illogical plot points.
well he did create it, direct the first episode and has story credits for all episodes so i would say he is the primus motor

LTTP, watching Amazon series Hunters. Great so far. High quality production value. In the middle of it, episode 5. Unfortunately the end twist was already spoiled for me, but it's still a good journey worth taking.

I can see how some might find the topic offensive, so no judgment if its not for you.

I’ve given Chibnall two series to prove himself now. I think that’s more than fair. I honestly had some hope at the start of this year. Spyfall wasn’t perfect, but it was a more promising beginning than before. Then the series devolved into more political preaching, wafer thin characters, weak acting and plotlines. But for all that, nothing comes close to the damage this story has done, and will do.

I’ve loved Doctor Who for half my life, but I feel like it’s a good time to step away now. I’m sure I won’t be alone judging by the reactions so far. I won’t be buying any merchandise. Even from the classic era or Big Finish. Sorry, but I cannot support the BBC. I just hope one day someone who actually respects the show’s history prior to this era can come along and retcon Chibnall’s damage in the same way. Not only will he see how it feels to have his contributions messed with, but hopefully all the fans he’s lost can get the show they loved back.

Doctor Who?

Doctor Who No More.

Doctor Who?

Doctor Who No More.

That says it all for me.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/2nd-opinion-part-1-the-timeless-children-doctor-who-no-more-93329.htm

I have now deleted all of Season 11 and 12 episodes and will be keeping Season's 01-10 to remember when Doctor Who was enjoyable to watch.

Back