Which game would you recommend to start, to a person who never played a videogame? My choice is....

GTA 5. A total newcomer could just wander around the open world without being bothered much. As one becomes more accustomed to controls and all, one can start doing the missions.

Being kids GTA is off the table but mine pretty much started with Forza horizon, the crew and burnout paradise for this very reason.

Car shopping simulator as far as they are concerned they love it.

Until OP elaborates on who he was trying to get into gaming or whether it was a general question, then all one can give is vague answers.

I’d recommend also Zelda: BotW. It’s lovely just travelling around Hyrule.
I'm not sure, other games are so bad compared to it whomever tries this first would be thoroughly disappointed by almost every other game.
(We are so used to how limited and illogical games are that we don't even realise it, it's only by seeing other people play that you can *perhaps* grasp how illogical most games are.)
[Stuff like explosive not damaging static geometry, only begin able to climb on specific places, only being able to lite specific objects...]

I'm not sure, other games are so bad compared to it whomever tries this first would be thoroughly disappointed by almost every other game.
(We are so used to how limited and illogical games are that we don't even realise it, it's only by seeing other people play that you can *perhaps* grasp how illogical most games are.)
[Stuff like explosive not damaging static geometry, only begin able to climb on specific places, only being able to lite specific objects...]

IMHO the problem with something like Zelda is that it’s quite complex as a first game for someone, it needs to be simple or would scare them off gaming.

IMHO the problem with something like Zelda is that it’s quite complex as a first game for someone, it needs to be simple or would scare them off gaming.

Yeah, moving an avatar and camera is really daunting.

Heck, even simply walk and move your hands just like real life while holding motion controller is daunting.

Yeah, moving an avatar and camera is really daunting.

Heck, even simply walk and move your hands just like real life while holding motion controller is daunting.

? Zelda BotW is quite a complex game for a non gamer, surely you can understand that? Any open world game would be quite daunting. Being an amazing game (for gamers) doesn’t default a great first game for someone.

? Zelda BotW is quite a complex game for a non gamer, surely you can understand that? Any open world game would be quite daunting. Being an amazing game (for gamers) doesn’t default a great first game for someone.

That's why I used the word "daunting". Hmm, maybe it's not the right word.

Maybe "hard" is better fitting.

I think this is one of the reason why rich plank experience is so popular

Basic movement and even fighting the lower enemies in BotW is hardly daunting even for a non gamer. Most games are perfectly understandable and controllable by even a person who never has held a controller. They are games, designed for regular people. Most games are really quite simple to learn the basics.
I for example exposed a total non-gamer to Resident Evil 7 in VR. He mostly just walked around and looked around, with only one hostile encounter with which he needed assistance with controls (and failed, of course :)).

I can't find the blog post or article about someone making his girlfriend or wife try video games and talking about Breath of the Wild among them, I seem to recall that she found it a lot better because it was more logical, although she had trouble with the camera and barely controlled it she felt the game was a lot more beginner friendly.

Basic movement and even fighting the lower enemies in BotW is hardly daunting even for a non gamer. Most games are perfectly understandable and controllable by even a person who never has held a controller. They are games, designed for regular people. Most games are really quite simple to learn the basics..

Zelda is not simple...

Controls for a start (multi functional buttons);
https://www.gamereactor.eu/take-a-look-at-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-controls-on-the-switch/

Then let's talk about armor;
https://uk.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/Armor

And food/cooking (my son struggled to even figure out how to cook initially!);
https://uk.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/All_Recipes_and_Cookbook

I could go on...but personal experiences from gamers (ie people who play games - not those that don't);
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75136762

Back