HDMI To Vga Cable Whats the point

Davros

Legend
I recently bought one because I wanted to try LucidLogix Virtu GPU Virtualization It didnt work, upon research I discovered that hdmi does not output any type of analog signal whatsoever so not only did the cable not work but there is no way it could possibly work - so what is the point of making such a cable in the first place?

There was a point about 10 - 8 years ago when Legacy TV sets lacked HDMI while other consumer devices required HDCP to play anything above 480p. Now everything has HDMI instead so the need has lessened. Anyone who needed such a device typically picked up the HDFury. It had options to convert HDMI to Component.

Sorry brit but there wasnt a point to to a cable with hdmi one end and dsub on the other, it can not possibly work
If your going to claim it was to connect to a converter then it makes no sense for a hdmi to vga converter to expect vga input

I had a friend who had an old Dell that had onboard video and VGA and DP out. His VGA port borked out and he wanted to know if there was a DP to VGA adapter and to my surprise there was. Turns out he wasn't the only one with a problem like that, I had no clue they existed or why they'd need to.

Found an HDMI to VGA one by the same folks, and it's even cheaper!

Stupid things, but damned useful stupid things when you run in to some ancient technology like how Orangpelupa mentioned. Also did not know they made USB to video outs, we live in odd times. :|

that works because its active it has an actually digital to analog chip in it (it wont do analog to digital)
I have something similar for displayport to dvi (eyefinity required that the displayport adapter had to be active) dont think nv surround has the same limitation
I will probably end up buying a hdmi to dvi adapter since there is no need for an analog conversion and a passive adapter should work
monitors have vga+dvi-d
graphics card has dvi-d+displayport+hdmi

Last edited:
I decided to connect via hdmi to dvi-d since no analog conversion is needed
according to nvidia an active adaptor is not required for nv surround
So I bought one of these (interestingly its now £3.98 up from £2.99 a few hours earlier when i ordered it - result ;) )
r9H0ra5.jpg

y4aiNUo.jpg

It's also very popular with people upgrading to Vista ;)
Cta1HSh.jpg

Since i was there i decided to order a few other cables I needed
Pci-e 8pin extension - just for aesthetics it looks a lot neater than the 2x 6+2 pin cable I'm currently using especially for a gfx card that only needs an 8pin connection
N5nEH9F.jpg

And finally I bought a displayport cable, a bit on the expensive side but it does come with a free hat
Z77arf5.jpg

So My cable arrived and it works fine in windows desktop, but as soon as i click on surround spanning options and the put a tick in the span displays with surround in nvidia control panel
the control panel disappears.
This appears in event viewer :

Faulting application name: nvcplui.exe, version: 8.1.940.0, time stamp: 0x5d8935a6
Faulting module name: nvcplui.exe, version: 8.1.940.0, time stamp: 0x5d8935a6
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000028f8d5
Faulting process id: 0x29f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5fd59f1afd70f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.956.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj\nvcplui.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.956.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj\nvcplui.exe
Report Id: f04532fe-519f-4892-93d6-91a6a6c34c3b
Faulting package full name: NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.956.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj
Faulting package-relative application ID: NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel

Back