Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice points and l generally agree with most but l have one thing to say.....
If people didn’t sway or move then XBOX would be nothing, think about that.
Ive owned every PlayStation to date except the ps4 pro. I may consider Xbox for the first time.
yea I get that.
But it’s likely a combination of things coming together to make this decision. The value, the performance, perhaps you don’t care as much for the exclusives anymore, or perhaps you love certain 3P games more. or perhaps you just see more potential overall with the platform that you’re willing to forgo exclusive content.

There’s been a lot of work in XBox to right the ship. It’s not just one thing that they’ve been working on, and this is probably the biggest threat poised to Sony. They were just moving in all areas and not just power alone.

and that’s with what we know today, in 3 months time when they announce even further platform features it will really become something to sway gamers.

MS has been good at drip feeding information on their entire platform to get people to appreciate all the things they have been working on for this gen, to carry over to next. It’s a good way to stay in gamers mind and drip feed them one big feature after the next.

Sony could definitely have all the same features as well, but it’s going to come at people in a really condensed time frame if they don’t start marketing it soon. And some people might not think this is an issue, but i like to see it as cramming for a test vs studying content over a large period of time.

as discussion goes for MS, they have a long way to correct a lot of misinformation around their platform as well as introducing to non Xbox gamers their current platform.

sony will do well regardless. But MS is taking all the right steps right now to right the ship.

You know the biggest problem with this thread/board/site? People forget to look at the bigger picture because they’re too busy stroking the tech EGO.

yea I get that.
But it’s likely a combination of things coming together to make this decision. The value, the performance, perhaps you don’t care as much for the exclusives anymore, or perhaps you love certain 3P games more. or perhaps you just see more potential overall with the platform that you’re willing to forgo exclusive content.

There’s been a lot of work in XBox to right the ship. It’s not just one thing that they’ve been working on, and this is probably the biggest threat poised to Sony. They were just moving in all areas and not just power alone.

and that’s with what we know today, in 3 months time when they announce even further platform features it will really become something to sway gamers.

MS has been good at drip feeding information on their entire platform to get people to appreciate all the things they have been working on for this gen, to carry over to next. It’s a good way to stay in gamers mind and drip feed them one big feature after the next.

Sony could definitely have all the same features as well, but it’s going to come at people in a really condensed time frame if they don’t start marketing it soon. And some people might not think this is an issue, but i like to see it as cramming for a test vs studying content over a large period of time.

as discussion goes for MS, they have a long way to correct a lot of misinformation around their platform as well as introducing to non Xbox gamers their current platform.
sony will do well regardless. But MS is taking all the right steps right now to right the ship.

good points again, l feel if Somy holds out on info for too long and doesn’t deliver it’s going to be real big negative, if they do deliver then it’s going to be a huge positive.

if l had to make a call (or stab in the dark) on the PS 5 then I’d say Sony is having issues with the ps5, they either got caught off guard by Xbox or they're having problems with design/cooling/price.
Hope I’m wrong and they hit it out of the park.

if l had to make a call (or stab in the dark) on the PS 5 then I’d say Sony is having issues with the ps5, they either got caught off guard by Xbox or they're having problems with design/cooling/price.
Hope I’m wrong and they hit it out of the park.

I think Sony was aware of the 9 vs 12TF difference before anyone else, it's just they don't care because 99% of their customers don't.

I think Sony was aware of the 9 vs 12TF difference before anyone else, it's just they don't care because 99% of their customers don't.
We shall see...remember it doesn’t have to be a total win for Xbox, they just need to win by little bits all the time. Edit...(At every generation)

So according to this new guy "WhispersintheWind" on Gaf who claimed to have major third party dev friends and has now sent evidence to the Mod for verification said that apparently a recent leak 100% confirms PS5's specs. Although the devs didn't reveal any solid numbers to him, his personal opinion when deducing from what has been told to him gives a 11.5-13TF range. My hunch tells me it could be this one, which is very recent. That 4chan poster in the leak was the one who predicated the new PS slogan (“It’s time to play”) days before it appeared on the PSEurope Twitter account.
https://www.t3.com/au/news/insane-ps5-specs-leak-resurfaces-as-fans-wait-for-official-reveal
  • 13.3Teraflops RDNA 2 GPU @ 1.7GHZ with 60 CPU
  • AMD Zen2 8 core @ 3.4 GHZ (Sony is working on boosting to 3.7GHZ)
  • RAM 16GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4
  • SSD@5.5GB/S @ 1TB
  • Dedicated Ray Tracing and 3D Audio cores
  • DualShock 5 with haptic feedback, microphone and heart rate monitors.
  • Full digital backward compatibility with every PlayStation console and a library of thousands of games.
  • PSAI voice-controlled assistant.
Yes, too good to be true and all but Nike once told me Impossible is Nothing:LOL:.

So somehow without any actual numbers given to him he's able to double verify Actual Numbers. :rolleyes:
To be clear he's only getting verified for his contacts, not his opinions. But the least we can get from this is there's a good chance it's double digit TF if anything as he's pretty confident that 9.2 TF is nowhere close to be real.

We shall see...remember it doesn’t have to be a total win for Xbox, they just need to win by little bits all the time. Edit...(At every generation)

True, power differentional doesn't equate a 'win', see 6th gen. A 'win' during a generation doesn't mean being more successfull the generation after that either. Xbox was the new kid on the block with 24m sales, PS2 155m with more exclusives then PS4 could ever dream of, yet the 360 was as much a a success as the PS3 was. MS basically did everything wrong with the One release in 2013. I doubt they will this time. We have no idea how the 9th generation will turn out.

If your goal is to have 60 FPS game play then some more grunt IS going to make a different - all else being equal.

Exactly as you say, if all else being equal. Reaching 60fps target is more important then a somewhat higher resolution and/or settings. We can expect a Pro vs One X difference most likely. First party titles might end up with 30fps again unfortunately, if they want a true generational leap, ray tracing etc.
We already got a taste of next gen somewhat, Godfall and Hellblade 2, expecting much more then that and there will be dissapointments. It's not like going from PSX to PS2, or even PS2 to PS3. See gran turismo 2 to GT3/4, from a pixalated mess to what we got, or MGS1 to MGS2.

We will have to do with faster loading and ray tracing as the biggest leaps in graphics/visuals.

So according to this new guy

Old, seen it a while ago. Btw, 60CPU, i think the poster didn't do his/her homework before making the decision to become a developer ;)
A hint, look at the heartbeat monitor spec :p

In all honesty, i hope it's true for you, seeing how important that TF/spec is in all of your posts :)

Another thing, full digital PS BC for every playstation, does that mean we have to buy them or can we use let's say PS2 games i already own? That would be on another level.

From the article you posted:

With a mixed track record, it’s best to take the following with a hefty pinch of salt

Last edited:
But he would not know since no numbers were given to him.

Absolutely not. We've been over this before. Any such change would add a year to the release schedule.
I have missed the discussion, so sorry if i repeat it. But a full year would be what i had in mind.
Where i live the current situation is bad. Entire valleys quarantined, tourists send home, most people send home from work. Total lockdown.
If this lasts for many weeks, everywhere, i expect a serious economical crisis.
At the release window of next gen it may be even worse because still no vaccine so it will repeat once more.
People will have no money for entertainment and little interest. Adoption will be tiny. It would be smart to wait a year.

However - i did not know people can already preorder PS5? Then such delay is probably not possible. Also my speculation is based on the assumption PS5 would be only 7-8 TF.

Where i live the current situation is bad. Entire valleys quarantined, tourists send home, most people send home from work. Total lockdown.

Nowhere near as bad where i live, yet.

However - i did not know people can already preorder PS5?

Awhile ago already in sweden: https://www.mediamarkt.se/sv/product/_sony-playstation-5-ps5-1283580.html?rbtc=||||p||&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Kfji4aa6AIVxcmyCh0SDwD7EAYYASABEgJJtPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A thousend dollars (about) :p Specs say BC with PS4, not BC with PS3/2/1 as the above rumour claims. It says unknown release date.

I don't think a 9.2TF PS5 is a bad thing if Sony's aiming for a $399 price point. I get the whole console wars thing and each side wants to say they have the more powerful box, but I think once people see the actual games running on PS5 it will matter much, much less. The only way a 9.2TF PS5 turns out to be a blunder for Sony is if MS decides to take a substantial loss and match their price while also having a power advantage. Sure PS5 could end up being more powerful than some are speculating but I strongly believe Sony designed their console with a $399 price point in mind. Look at how successful they've been with the PS4, which was clearly built with that price point in mind. Why change your strategy if you're having great success? MS has every reason to come out swinging and be the aggressor this time around. They lost ground last generation and I could easily see that leading them to take a bigger loss to try and regain some of the userbase they lost. Phil Spencer has been very aggressive in general since taking over as head of Xbox. He's definitely refocused the brand back to games, and has earned a ton of good will from gamers with his approach. If I had to bet between Sony and MS for this upcoming generation as to which company would have a more aggressive design and be willing to take a bigger loss, I think that bet is pretty easy to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back