Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't they? How would AMD even try to make a complex CPU/GPU function test without using their primary OS/Driver platform these days? These drivers might only use their generic function blocks though.
Would a generic driver give a good understanding of the relative performance of the hardware though?

So, basically Flute and the "unknown" APU are running Windows (Dx11 and Dx12), which means they have Windows drivers.

Regards,
SB

So the PS5 will run on Windows?

Their Horizon port suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Didn't PS4 also have widows drivers?

Probably a lot easier to just run their generic drivers on it with minor changes if required to get it operational.

Aren't pre production kits just PC's designed to mimic the console?

IIRC PS4* has an ARM based security chip on the board that prevents the loading of other OSes.
* the original allowed linux installs, they fixed it in the PRO and Slim

If the unit they're using isn't locked down yet they can run whatever OS they want.

A generic Windows install verse Sony's tuned custom BSD-Unix OS probably isn't the the best indicator of actual performance.

Would a generic driver give a good understanding of the relative performance of the hardware though?

The "extra features" might squeeze more performance out the GPU which probably requires extra game/driver support or mean less load for the CPU. But I would expect the generic driver would give reasonable results vs. AMD PC GPUs.

You're talking about this, from january?

He assumed it was XSS at the time so we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions.
I know what he assumed it was, but the name of APU was hidden. I thought it was XSS as well, but issue is 16GB of RAM and I doubt XSX has 256bit bus. That, in addition to 4GB of additional RAM, would likely mean too high costs for chip compared to XSX.

If PS5 is running ~5600XT GPU (~8TF) performance the article about them struggling with costs makes a lot of sense. Knowing that they know Series would be ~12TF (even back at the time of the article due to MS claiming 2X over One X), then they probably knew hitting 399 is a must. So costs spiraling towards $470 would then become a real issue. The entire article can make sense a variety of ways, but it most readily makes sense in that context.

I'd guess though they would try to hit 2.0 GHZ to close the gap. The article also mentioning expensive cooling.

PS March 13. Clock is ticking, PS5 you cannot hide forever!

If PS5 is running ~5600XT GPU (~8TF) performance the article about them struggling with costs makes a lot of sense.

Come on!, give Sony some credit for what they have managed to do with gaming consoles in 25 years. 8 TF does not make any sense for next generation. That is not the high jump they want to achieve.

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future," said Kodera

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-still-three-years-off-says-playstation-boss/1100-6459155/

It can hide until September.

What happens in September?

What I'm speaking of is more concrete leaks, of some form or another. I believe they WILL leak out. The closer we get to release date the harder the specs will get to hide. The more final dev kits filter into dev hands etc.

When will that big leak be? I dont know. April? Anyways it's not like Sony will not do a reveal at some point. I guess no E3 does remove a possible drop dead type of date...

Come on!, give Sony some credit for what they have managed to do with gaming consoles in 25 years. 8 TF does not make any sense for next generation. That is not the high jump they want to achieve.

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future," said Kodera

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-still-three-years-off-says-playstation-boss/1100-6459155/

Ehh, a few things. It's all filtered through the lens of the competition. 8-9TF only looks bad because we know Series X is 12. Sony did not know that while they were developing PS5. 9TF probably seemed like a perfectly reasonable mass market target. Probably is! Series X is also more like a boutique, high end product possibly, that is stretching the limits. Whereas PS5 would be squarely aimed at the mass market. If Xbox was also 9TF, none of this would be an issue.

Also the total package of PS5 with the much more powerful CPU, the SSD, and the 8/9+ teraflop GPU on a more advanced architecture, 16GB GDDR, is good. You are really jumping from 1.3TF One and 1.8 TF PS4.

lol 8tf ps5 must be the wettest Xbox fanboy’s dream ever, the more reasons they try to convince themselves of such a reality the harder I’m gonna laugh at them once it’s revealed to be a 11.6tf console;).

lol 8tf ps5 must be the wettest Xbox fanboy’s dream ever, the more reasons they try to convince themselves of such a reality the harder I’m gonna laugh at them once it’s revealed to be a 11.6tf console;).
I'm going to laugh at those who decided on an arbitrary number of TF without any idea of what it represents graphically, those who expect others would fall for their preemptive fake outrage set piece.

Last edited:
It can hide until September.

Or maybe even 2021 because...Covid-19.

While the consoles are still likely to come out at the end of this year, there is certainly a possibility that countries dealing with the virus could be disrupted to a point where a 2020 release may not be feasible.

The consoles are basically reliant on China, Korea, and Taiwan. They are also reliant to a lesser degree on Japan, the US, and... Trying to remember if it's Malaysia or Singapore where AMD has some things done...

While China appears to have things under control I don't think it's the case yet for Korea.

Taiwan appears to have things under control, but it remains to be seen whether their attempts to prevent the virus from entering their country and their medical response will be able to prevent it from breaking out there. It looks encouraging there so far.

Regards,
SB

If PS5 is running ~5600XT GPU (~8TF) performance the article about them struggling with costs makes a lot of sense. Knowing that they know Series would be ~12TF (even back at the time of the article due to MS claiming 2X over One X), then they probably knew hitting 399 is a must. So costs spiraling towards $470 would then become a real issue. The entire article can make sense a variety of ways, but it most readily makes sense in that context.

I'd guess though they would try to hit 2.0 GHZ to close the gap. The article also mentioning expensive cooling.

PS March 13. Clock is ticking, PS5 you cannot hide forever!

But, if (theoretically) Sony intended a 399 console and prices went up to 470, why do you consider this a problem when facing Microsoft? Is Microsoft imune to the same prices increase?
By the same logic, since both are affected by Covid, if the Microsoft console was 499, it should also now be near 570.

But, if (theoretically) Sony intended a 399 console and prices went up to 470, why do you consider this a problem when facing Microsoft? Is Microsoft imune to the same prices increase?
By the same logic, since both are affected by Covid, if the Microsoft console was 499, it should also now be near 570.

If Sony's "rumoured" price problems are related to 18Gbit GDDR6, yield at 2Ghz or their "custom" flash solution then MS might not share the same rumoured problems.

But then it's a bit pointless discussing "rumoured" price problems of imaginary price targets...

Meanwhile at Sony HQ: Lets work out another, stronger SOC. Corona gives us enough time for it.

I think that's indeed very probable and would explain the silence.

Why?
A handful of internet forum warriors. The rest of civilisation doesn't care in the slightest.
1) Because silence isn’t doing Sony any favours, and hype is going towards Xbox atm.
Why spends millions on marketing if this doesn’t count?
2)Yes the majority of people will buy what they want but power does matter if other attributes are close.
You might be surprised, enough may swing to make a difference.

1) Because silence isn’t doing Sony any favours, and hype is going towards Xbox atm.
Why spends millions on marketing if this doesn’t count?
2)Yes the majority of people will buy what they want but power does matter if other attributes are close.
You might be surprised, enough may swing to make a difference.
it will make a difference, sure, for those who love third party games or if the difference is dramatic enough to sway people. But I don't believe in the latter as being weighted as heavily.
As long as Playstation is anywhere in range, even as far as 33% down (the difference between XBO and PS4), the games will sell the system.
Sony has managed GOTY hit, after hit after hit. There are a subset of people that are drawn to those games. No amount of graphical difference is going to make up for lost content.

There is a subset like myself who mainly only enjoy MP gaming, in which Xbox is a better fit for me, but if you're looking for those single player experiences, you're going to see a lot of people not give a damn about the power difference. (ideally MP is also where you want the most power honestly speaking this makes the most sense - higher frame rates, resolution etc)

And with the cost of these coming consoles, it's not going to be cheap to own both.

I don't believe the lack of marketing is a result of necessarily being fearful of being down on power (though it would obviously help to be the power leader) but I largely suspect that Xbox's platform now to the future is providing value in a way that could detract the messaging around Sony's strength around exclusive titles. There's just a lot of value there for relatively nothing. You can fund a full family of gaming for very little and have a selection of titles for different age groups in an increasingly large library spanning 4 generations with what looks to be enhancements of all sorts.

So while Sony may come across as the quality king, some people are going to be really drawn by the AYCE model. They are likely working on platform plans before they need to announce any of their hardware, whereas Microsoft's platform plans are fairly well known as they are already in place, so they only really have hardware to talk about.

it will make a difference, sure, for those who love third party games or if the difference is dramatic enough to sway people. But I don't believe in the latter as being weighted as heavily.
As long as Playstation is anywhere in range, even as far as 33% down (the difference between XBO and PS4), the games will sell the system.
Sony has managed GOTY hit, after hit after hit. There are a subset of people that are drawn to those games. No amount of graphical difference is going to make up for lost content.

There is a subset like myself who mainly only enjoy MP gaming, in which Xbox is a better fit for me, but if you're looking for those single player experiences, you're going to see a lot of people not give a damn about the power difference. (ideally MP is also where you want the most power honestly speaking this makes the most sense - higher frame rates, resolution etc)

And with the cost of these coming consoles, it's not going to be cheap to own both.

I don't believe the lack of marketing is a result of necessarily being fearful of being down on power (though it would obviously help to be the power leader) but I largely suspect that Xbox's platform now to the future is providing value in a way that could detract the messaging around Sony's strength around exclusive titles. There's just a lot of value there for relatively nothing. You can fund a full family of gaming for very little and have a selection of titles for different age groups in an increasingly large library spanning 4 generations with what looks to be enhancements of all sorts.

So while Sony may come across as the quality king, some people are going to be really drawn by the AYCE model. They are likely working on platform plans before they need to announce any of their hardware, whereas Microsoft's platform plans are fairly well known as they are already in place, so they only really have hardware to talk about.

nice points and l generally agree with most but l have one thing to say.....
If people didn’t sway or move then XBOX would be nothing, think about that.
Ive owned every PlayStation to date except the ps4 pro. I may consider Xbox for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back