Formula 1 - 2020 Season

As they're already there, I don't see why they can't at least have closed-to-the-public but televised practice sessions. Dunno if the teams would want to show their hands with a qualifying if a race won't take place, but at least it gives us something to talk about.

As they're already there, I don't see why they can't at least have closed-to-the-public but televised practice sessions. Dunno if the teams would want to show their hands with a qualifying if a race won't take place, but at least it gives us something to talk about.
every other sport and cultural gathering are cancelling so f1 should be responsible and do it too

The race has now been officially cancelled.

IMHO too little too late. They should have cancelled way ahead and prevent teams and spectators to travel to begin with or run the race without spectators. Now everybody is already there, making canceling the whole thing seem a bit pointless. As in the damage has already been done.

My guess is that Bahrein is off as well now that it's not just spectators, but also teams having sick people. For now only McLaren but as they all travel together I'd be surprised if more cases don't pop up.

China was already cancelled and unless infections suddenly start dropping I won't be surprised to see Vietnam cancelled as well given it proximity to China.

I guess that means that with a bit of luck the first GP will be the Dutch GP in May?

Coronavirus: F1 moves summer break from August to March at April
Formula 1's summer break has been moved forward from August as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The new season has been thrown into disarray by the virus and F1 is working on plans to run as long a season as possible once races can be held.

Following unanimous agreement, the 'break' will be held in March and April, with teams choosing a three-week period in that time to close.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51950673

In other words one of the engineers has told management "hey we're also doing the same shady stuff" :D
I would lean more towards FIA telling them "you got to keep your DAS for this season, now bugger off", because none of the other Merc teams left :D

That or Merc came to the conclusion they think they can make better use of the same/similar loophole.

In other news, teams are now discussing delaying the 2021 regs to 2022. Not sure what to think of that. If they still implement the budget cap for 2021 I'd be all for it but otherwise I'm not sure.

Confirmed. 2021 regulations (not cars but regulations) delayed to 2022. Looks like they will freeze the 2020 chassis for 2021 as well so as not to create another chassis under the current regs.

Back