Valve announces VR-Only Half Life: Alyx. [2020]

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Yeah, teleporting avoids (sidesteps?) motion sickness. They’ll almost certainly allow for free movement, too.

holy molly! ALYX is actually a full-blown 60USD game!
I though it was short experience 20 USD game due to steam regional pricing.

New gameplay video

Is that movement style a thing in VR games currently? It's very jarring and unimmersive. And once you're moved to that spot you're kind of stuck there in those combats. It's like an on-rails shooter almost. Do not like.

It's in a lot of them, yes. Personally, I don't like it (for the reason you stated) and always pick free movement where possible. A quick Google suggests that to be an option for this game.

Yeah, teleporting avoids (sidesteps?) motion sickness. They’ll almost certainly allow for free movement, too.
As someone who hasn't really played VR much I wasn't really aware of this but makes sense, thanks.

It's in a lot of them, yes. Personally, I don't like it (for the reason you stated) and always pick free movement where possible. A quick Google suggests that to be an option for this game.

There's 3 movement modes for the game.
  • Free movement with the analog stick.
  • Teleport movement (to combat motion sickness for many people).
  • Slide movement. This is basically teleport but you slide to the new position instead of just appearing there.
Regards,
SB

Aww, no room scale unlimited walk locomotion :(

It feels awesome in tea of God. But I guess it will destroy the carefully crafted level design....

There's 3 movement modes for the game.
  • Free movement with the analog stick.
  • Teleport movement (to combat motion sickness for many people).
  • Slide movement. This is basically teleport but you slide to the new position instead of just appearing there.
Regards,
SB

Huh, I was unaware of that distinction between the latter two forms of locomotion. Probably because I only ever bother with free movement.

Aww, no room scale unlimited walk locomotion :(

It feels awesome in tea of God. But I guess it will destroy the carefully crafted level design....

It'd probably destroy the level design when you went thudding into a wall. Or careering down a gully. Depending on your IRL setting.

Oops nevermind. I missed that there were some new posts after the video. Weird forum software.

Huh, I was unaware of that distinction between the latter two forms of locomotion. Probably because I only ever bother with free movement.

It'd probably destroy the level design when you went thudding into a wall. Or careering down a gully. Depending on your IRL setting.

Unlimited real life walk locomotion won't make you thud a physical wall. As the game will automatically change the corridor turns, etc to fit the level into your play area.

That's quite cool but obviously extremely restrictive for game design.

Yep. The level must be designed in chunks and to be enjoyable when experienced randomly. So item placements, enemy placements and logic, all need to be cleverly weaved together.

Btw this makes me remember left 4 dead that originally was designed with procedural level design by the AI DIRECTOR. So each level will be made of many chunks that can be on different places on each run. Depending on what the ai directir thinks will give the best game experience to the players

In the end, valve cut that out and only left the procedural item (and tank?) placements

Yep. The level must be designed in chunks and to be enjoyable when experienced randomly. So item placements, enemy placements and logic, all need to be cleverly weaved together.

Btw this makes me remember left 4 dead that originally was designed with procedural level design by the AI DIRECTOR. So each level will be made of many chunks that can be on different places on each run. Depending on what the ai directir thinks will give the best game experience to the players

In the end, valve cut that out and only left the procedural item (and tank?) placements

That's basically how Hellgate: London (the original) did it. Not sure if the current game (which isn't the original game) still does that.

It's also similar to what Remnant: From the Ashes does.

Regards,
SB

Half life alyx is now out, anyone got it?

Thank you for noticing it got released! Just purchased, waiting for download to finish :) Will report back once I have tried it out.

edit. 48.3GB. that is going to be a ... .... while ... ... come on bits, you can do it, run like the wind!

Back