Ori And The Will Of The Wisps @ 2020-03-11 [XO, PC, XGP]

ItmeJP just switched to the PC version and I have to agree with him, it looks even better. ARGH, Release the game already. PWEASE!

Regards,
SB
hehehehe, hehehe downloading already on gamepass PC, 15GB is what the preload weighs.

All I have to say without spoilers is this is a brilliant game. It's a fair bit different from the first game with different focuses. So far it's less punishing than the first game but still extremely satisfying.

You can also see how it shares some design influences with Hollow Knight. This may or may not be intentional as Hollow Knight was another exceptional platformer.

Movement, control responsiveness and control feedback might just be the best of any platformer. It feels REALLY good and it is so satisfying. Referring back to Hollow Knight, it makes Hollow Knight feel sluggish in control response, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Couldn't stay awake long enough last night to play. About to try it when kids are in bed. Can't wait.

Tommy McClain

Really gorgeous like the first one and very responsive. Hope I get further in this than the first one.

Great so far. Had to stop to get some sleep. Interesting that
Sein is no where to be found. Evidently this known way back but as I didn't read any previews it was new to me. Evidently ge's part of the Spirit Tree at the end of the first game & they didn't want rip him back out for the sequel.

Tommy McClain

Great so far. Had to stop to get some sleep. Interesting that
Sein is no where to be found. Evidently this known way back but as I didn't read any previews it was new to me. Evidently ge's part of the Spirit Tree at the end of the first game & they didn't want rip him back out for the sequel.

Tommy McClain

And thank god for that decision. That thing made combat in the first game so mindless and detached. It was the original's weakest part.

And thank god for that decision. That thing made combat in the first game so mindless and detached. It was the original's weakest part.

I'm not sure I would say it was the weakest part. But then again I think the game was a perfect masterpiece. LOL

Tommy McClain

I'm not sure I would say it was the weakest part. But then again I think the game was a perfect masterpiece. LOL

Tommy McClain

I meant the initial combat type. Spam the attack button for the random navi navi thingie to shoot at the nearest enemy. It did not make for engaging gameplay. The other mechanics, charging like into projectiles and bouncing them in the oposite direction, or the one throwable thing added in the dlc, were pretty great. Good platformer mechanics are those thar exacerbate the act of plat-fucking-forming. They involve spacial awareness, jumping, navigating the environment, momentum, gravity, etc. Those are the things we play a platformer for, so combat should involve that. Ori's magical fairy attack made use of non of that. It was essentially a blast anything near enough, but only one at a time.

Holy FARQ, I didn't think they would be able to get me like they did with the first game. But gdamnit they surprised me and got me crying...er I mean, threw so much dust in my eyes that I have to wipe away a lot of tears.

Gdamn them! The feels.

Also, the music is sooooooo good.

Regards,
SB

I have been able to play for 20 minutes or so via Gamepass (so hey, it's free, since I got that for free). It's some of the best graphics I've ever seen, on a 2d-ish game. That the sound is dolby atmos gets me aflutter too since I have a new Dolby Atmos sound bar. I feel like the HDR is the first to show off my TV too that I have really noticed. Bright flares on the screen I feel like couldn't be replicated on a typical 200 nits SDR panel.

Pretty much same experience here. Got the feels too.

I first played on my X1X & HDR TV & 5.1 surround sound in the living room the first couple of hours. What an experience! The next couple of plays I decided to play in my bedroom on my XB1S, SDR TV & just headphones. Not near as nice of an experience. Digital Foundry is right, the little hiccups in performance was a downer. I've gotten used to it, but I think I'm going back to the XB1X.

How far is everyone? I reached the Wellspring Glades & working my way up the big structure. ;)

Tommy McClain

Pretty much same experience here. Got the feels too.

I first played on my X1X & HDR TV & 5.1 surround sound in the living room the first couple of hours. What an experience! The next couple of plays I decided to play in my bedroom on my XB1S, SDR TV & just headphones. Not near as nice of an experience. Digital Foundry is right, the little hiccups in performance was a downer. I've gotten used to it, but I think I'm going back to the XB1X.

How far is everyone? I reached the Wellspring Glades & working my way up the big structure. ;)

Tommy McClain
Still in the very first shrine where you save the game. No problems -PC version running at 165fps- save for a couple of odd sound glitches which I think got patched ever since. Resident Evil Remake is taking up all my gaming time. Love that game so much.

Tommy McClain

Huge spoiler territory here, so don't read yet. You likely haven't gotten to this part yet. I'll also make it as vague as I can in case someone accidentally clicks on it.

Last warning, this is a HUGE spoiler.

I'm just a bit after the point where a certain main character dies. I still can't believe those bastards at Moon Studios killed that character off. /sob.

Still, I can see where they are going with this, so I'm expecting a happier ending, gosh darnit.

I'm going to guess this is around maybe half way through the game? Maybe less?

Regards,
SB

@#$%@#$@#$, damn, my MB in my PC decided to die on me and I won't get the new one in until the end of the week probably. And I'm getting close to the end ARGH.

Also, had just gotten to another tear jerker scene...

And they went and killed off another NPC that I had grown fond of. /cry. DAMN THEM!!!

ARGH, at this point I'm fully preparing myself to be crying...er wiping all the dust out of my eyes, when the end game scenes play.

Game is soooo good. It's not often I feel like 100%-ing a game (especially platformers that I rarely play), but I might just attempt to do that for this one. Although I probably won't succeed, some of those speed challenges are tough.

Regards,
SB

:love:

You should finish it on Xbox. ;)

I so loved the last one I 100% it. This one is looking hard enough I might not be able to do that, but I'm going to try. Taking my time on it & absolutely loving it. Just wished I had more time. The last 5 weeks have been brutal with my time being taken up with family matters. Hopefully it will settle down this week & I can get back to playing.

Tommy McClain

:love:

You should finish it on Xbox. ;)

I so loved the last one I 100% it. This one is looking hard enough I might not be able to do that, but I'm going to try. Taking my time on it & absolutely loving it. Just wished I had more time. The last 5 weeks have been brutal with my time being taken up with family matters. Hopefully it will settle down this week & I can get back to playing.

Tommy McClain

I'd be tempted to if I still had my XBO. :) But waiting is a small price to pay to finish this gem.

In general, I find the platforming in this one to be more forgiving than the original, but the complexity is starting to ramp up as they introduce more and more ways with which to navigate levels. But with that, they are also providing things to make traversal easier as well. This is a very small spoiler so not wrapping it in a tag (I will if someone complains though). At the point I'm at now they've just provided me the ability to launch my own projectile that I can latch onto. OMG, it's nice being able to do that whenever I want.

I still haven't had an escape sequence as tough as escaping the tree with the rushing water in the first game, for example. While I'm not done with the game yet, that sequence came early in the first game.

OTOH - boss fights can be really difficult. The one I just fought which led to my previous post where I got a LOT of dust in my eye (man my eyes were watering so much because of the dust) was WAY harder than the previous ones I fought. I watched one streamer get stuck on it for hours. They also had a lot less life and energy than I did when I got to it.

But man, I was so hyped after I killed it...that adrenaline rush and payoff. And then I came crashing down with the cutscene that followed because of all the dust I got in my eyes. ARGH!!!

Anyway, game is sooooo good.

Regards,
SB

Back