Which game would you recommend to start, to a person who never played a videogame? My choice is....

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Resident Evil 2 Remake. Without a shadow of doubt whatsoever.

The game is sooooo good. If I ever meet someone who never played a videogame, and they wanted to start playing games, this is the game that would certainly never fail their expectations. Fun, Claire is lovely, intriguing, interesting...plays and runs like a charm -at least on PC-.

When a newcomer started to play the game, I can already imagine them going...like: "Wowwww, the game looks like a movie". "No no no no! Escape, girl!". "This is beautiful". "I gotta find that door's key". "Wow, it's incredible how games are made nowadays":

I would introduce them to something simple like a 2d mario game.

RE2 might be a great game, the problem is that it isn't designed to be played be people new to gaming. So controls, gameplay concepts etc. while making sense to you and me, chances are somebody new to gaming is just gonna go wtf is this? too difficult, not fun. That is ignoring that the whole scary zombie thing kinda has to be your thing as well to be enjoyable.

Something like Mario otoh is pretty simple to get into while introducing players to some basic game concepts while still offering a fair amount of depth and challenge (if you look for it). Presentation is also easy to understand, usually it is very clear where you need to go, who the enemies are etc.

GTA 5. A total newcomer could just wander around the open world without being bothered much. As one becomes more accustomed to controls and all, one can start doing the missions.

Probably something like Super Mario World or Mario 64. Something easy to play and have fun with it. With the delight of discovering new things and secrets and a touch of magic.

I've been thinking of games to introduce my 4 year-old to playing on a gamepad.

Something tells me RE2 Remake may not be the best choice.

I've been thinking of games to introduce my 4 year-old to playing on a gamepad.

Something tells me RE2 Remake may not be the best choice.
Lego games. Find a franchise they are into (Jurassic World, Harry Potter, Marvel, Star Wars, etc) and play the games co op. That way you can carry them through the game but your kid can move and be a part of the game with you. Skylanders works for this this as well, or the console versions of Disney Infinity (PC version has no multiplayer), but they are harder to get nowadays. If you want to go old school, any of the older Gauntlet games. When my daughter was 4 we played Gauntlet IV on Sega Genesis every night for months.

Uncharted, it’s easy to pick up and play and has likeable characters with humour etc - the ideal game for a non gamer

If it's a somebody I like, mario 1, because it's a classic, and pretty easy to play (not so to beat) & fun. Or Detroit on ps4/pro. Pretty simple, nice visual, nice story.

If I want to mess with them, Dark Souls :eek:

Playroom vr where you just touch stuff
VR girlfriend where you just touch stuff
Oculus OOBE where you grab robot hands and dance with it

As for a complete game... Hmm... Yeah Detroit is pretty good.

Dark Souls 2. If they can make it through that, they'll make it through anything.

Ratchet & Clank for the fact that it's a pretty good blend of a few different genres - so it would introduce them to 3D platforming, 2.5D platforming, melee, shooting, and puzzles - whilst being quite forgiving.

What age is the person? What kind of content attracts said person? What kind of movies does he or she like?

Back