Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

This reminds me of the times when only the rich could study 'cos they could pay their studies, and there were thousands of more intelligent people taht were poor but couldn't study

wrt studying we are in late stage feudalism

ft8bn9nq5x541.jpg

never been a fan of usa politics -conservative-republican, who cares, it's all about right, and they call it democracy-, also dislike the situation of the usa right now 'cos of....many things. But this is something extraordinary in such a country where if you dont have money you die earlier than others. This reminds me of the times when only the rich could study 'cos they could pay their studies, and there were thousands of more intelligent people taht were poor but couldn't study
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

After returning to Miami last month from a work trip in China, Osmel Martinez Azcue found himself in a frightening position: he was developing flu-like symptoms, just as coronavirus was ravaging the country he had visited. Under normal circumstances, Azcue said he would have gone to CVS for over-the-counter medicine and fought the flu on his own, but this time was different. As health officials stressed preparedness and vigilance for the respiratory illness, Azcue felt it was his responsibility to his family and his community to get tested for novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19.
He went to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he said he was placed in a closed-off room. Nurses in protective white suits sprayed some kind of disinfectant smoke under the door before entering, Azcue said. Then hospital staff members told him he’d need a CT scan to screen for coronavirus, but Azcue said he asked for a flu test first. Fortunately, that’s exactly what happened. He had the flu, not the deadly virus that has infected tens of thousands of people, mostly in China, and killed at least 2,239 as of Friday’s update by the World Health Organization.
But two weeks later, Azcue got unwelcome news in the form of a notice from his insurance company about a claim for $3,270.
In 2018, President Donald Trump’s administration rolled back Affordable Care Act regulations and allowed so-called “junk plans” in the market. Consumers mistakenly assume that the plans with lower monthly costs will be better than no insurance at all in case of a medical catastrophe, but often the plans aren’t very different from going without insurance altogether. Hospital officials at Jackson told the Miami Herald that, based on his insurance, Azcue would only be responsible for $1,400 of that bill, but Azcue said he heard from his insurer that he would also have to provide additional documentation: three years of medical records to prove that the flu he got didn’t relate to a preexisting condition.
o_O

Yep, if they had an event planned is probably postponed until the situation stabilizes a bit. Also, I think they may also push the launch back, to avoid mass gatherings of people on launch day or offer the console only through online retailers at first.

I'm not so sure Sony wouldn't have cancelled a public event either. The MWC was cancelled February 12. If Sony had an event planned for late February, at that point they'd be on time to not even send the invites.
Yes, but the invitations would have gone out late January in that case and we'd have known about it. The timeline for a cancellation needs to factor in people not hearing about it. If Sony decided to cancel mid February and no-one had heard about it, then the 3 week lead time would have the event timed around 7th March. If no-one had received their invitation, then the cancellation date would be for a later event, mid-March onwards, which also makes more sense as there was more reason to cancel.

Yes, but the invitations would have gone out late January in that case and we'd have known about it. The timeline for a cancellation needs to factor in people not hearing about it. If Sony decided to cancel mid February and no-one had heard about it, then the 3 week lead time would have the event timed around 7th March. If no-one had received their invitation, then the cancellation date would be for a later event, mid-March onwards, which also makes more sense as there was more reason to cancel.

Last time it was 20th February and the invitation where send on the 31st of January. Here if it was the 25 or 26th February the invitation would have been sent the 14th or 5th February. For example, LG cancelled MWC presence on the 4th. This is a little different because no one knows about the event.

Cancelling on the 4th or 5th of February would be IMO an unlikely call. MWC is a worldwide event attended by loads of people including lots of Asian presence. A PS event is a one day reveal with limited audience largely from NA and EU. So the bigger the event, the earlier the call to end it. With "over 100,000 people from 200 countries were expected to travel to Barcelona to attend the annual trade fair, which was due to start on February 24 and last four days," cancellation two weeks before hand made sense - it couldn't have been left any later, and even though Coronavirus wasn't classed as a WHO epidemic at that point, caution for an event that large made sense. The same need to cancel wasn't apparent for a PS reveal event. I think if a PS reveal event was planned end of February, it would have gone ahead, or be cancelled much closer to the event. There wasn't clear reason for it not to go ahead.

The MWC being publicly cancelled February 12th doesn't mean the decision wasn't made some days earlier. Difference from Sony being that the MWC organizing comitee would probably need to consult with many important guests and companies before putting out a formal communication, at least out of professional courtesy. Sony could have decided to cancel their e.g. February 27th event back in February 6th, give or take 5 days on either date.

Regardless, whether they delayed something before sending out invites or not is something we'll probably ever know. What we do know is they claimed they'd follow the same announcement schedule they did for the PS4, which was announced February 20th.
We're close to 3 weeks after February 20th and there's no sign of any announcement (not even invites sent as far as we know). Either way they're already significantly delayed from the claimed announcement schedule, which leads people to believe some delay took or is taking place.

Cancelling on the 4th or 5th of February would be IMO an unlikely call. MWC is a worldwide event attended by loads of people including lots of Asian presence. A PS event is a one day reveal with limited audience largely from NA and EU. So the bigger the event, the earlier the call to end it. With "over 100,000 people from 200 countries were expected to travel to Barcelona to attend the annual trade fair, which was due to start on February 24 and last four days," cancellation two weeks before hand made sense - it couldn't have been left any later, and even though Coronavirus wasn't classed as a WHO epidemic at that point, caution for an event that large made sense. The same need to cancel wasn't apparent for a PS reveal event. I think if a PS reveal event was planned end of February, it would have gone ahead, or be cancelled much closer to the event. There wasn't clear reason for it not to go ahead.
In late Jan to early Feb the whole Eastern Asian people were already aware of the serious outbreak of coronavirus.

It's very reasonable to wait and see how coronavirus spread.

Since it was serious in early Feb the effect of promotion will be restricted.

SONY probably reserved the invitation to the last minute (near Feb.10) and SONY found out that the outbreak
was more and more serious in Asia and it was not a good timing for promoting new products for holidays.

If Sony have had a PlayStation meeting in Feb, now the promotions would have been no effect because the outbreak happens in Europe..

Spain will be the next Italy sadly. The government here has been trying to hide the virus was growing beyond their control, for political purposes they've allowed a march for Women's Rights in Madrid last Sunday. On the other side of the aisle, the idiots of the far right party held a rally, also in Madrid, with more than 8.000 people, the rally was being streamed and everyone saw the secretary general of the party coughing, sneezing... Today it has been confirmed that he has the coronavirus.

Now hospital in Madrid are experiencing a surge in detected cases and there is a real worry there won't be enough IC units for everyone. F*** politicians, and the idiots that defend their political party like they were a football team.

Edit: Now there is a rumor circulating that two government ministers have corona virus like symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the past, I might not be the best marketer but I have been in business quite some time, and if I were Sony I would simply wait for the news to get a little bit better and then I’d drop the news.

Right now, there is nothing to do but wait until things calm down a little.

Otherwise they’d just be swallowed by the news about Coronavirus, and honestly right now people have better things to worry about than the PS5. As frustrating as it is, that’s my feeling.

In late Jan to early Feb the whole Eastern Asian people were already aware of the serious outbreak of coronavirus.

It's very reasonable to wait and see how coronavirus spread.

Since it was serious in early Feb the effect of promotion will be restricted.

SONY probably reserved the invitation to the last minute (near Feb.10) and SONY found out that the outbreak
was more and more serious in Asia and it was not a good timing for promoting new products for holidays.

If Sony have had a PlayStation meeting in Feb, now the promotions would have been no effect because the outbreak happens in Europe..

Like I said you can verify yourself LG canceled the MWC presence or then the 4th of February. The decision could have made before by Sony for a PS meeting and easier to make knowing there was nothing official.

and the idiots that defend their political party like they were a football team.
Actually defending your choice of politicians makes a lot more sense than a football team, since those politicians might actually be part of whatever changes or lack thereof your future holds, so it only makes sense to defend whatever you think is best party for your values.

Regardless of the past, I might not be the best marketer but I have been in business quite some time, and if I were Sony I would simply wait for the news to get a little bit better and then I’d drop the news.

Otherwise they’d just be swallowed by the news about Coronavirus, and honestly right now people have better things to worry about than the PS5. As frustrating as it is, that’s my feeling.
COVID2019 is certainly dominating all the headlines especially now that it's growing internationally as opposed to just being held in China

COVID2019 is certainly dominating all the headlines especially now that it's growing internationally as opposed to just being held in China
There's not much else to talk about as events we might talk about are being canceled because of Covid19.

There's not much else to talk about as events we might talk about are being canceled because of Covid19.
yea that's pretty fair.

COVID is doing all sorts of damage across the landscape. Considering how international this forum is, I do fear that eventually one of our members here will catch it given a long enough period of time.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for that person.

On the other hand, people might start getting numbed down of so many covid19 news everyday, all the time.

Eventually, people will be longing for any news that aren't covid19 related.

Actually defending your choice of politicians makes a lot more sense than a football team, since those politicians might actually be part of whatever changes or lack thereof your future holds, so it only makes sense to defend whatever you think is best party for your values.
I think the argument is more about partisan politics, that politicians tend to be more about Politics (the paid hobby of trying to run down your opponent's reputation faster and lower than they can run yours down) rather than doing what's right for the people of a country.

However, this isn't the RSPCA forum and discussion of religion and politics should be kept minimal in this thread.

Back