Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said before that I don't think the xsx BC upgrades would be doing things like shader replacement, out of the box for all games.
But what about taking x enhanced games, since they've already been signed off, should be able to have a simpler time getting signed off again for something like this.
And how much performance does it take to add RT in this fashion?

Performance is a question of optimization. Anyone who includes a bolt on RT mod in 3 days or less...

Bolt-on RT should also be the less performance vs native RT implementations.

Performance is a question of optimization. Anyone who includes a bolt on RT mod in 3 days or less...

Bolt-on RT should also be the less performance vs native RT implementations.
Yeah, but in regards to BC you can't do native.
So was wondering what the performance is like using re-shade.

This could really make some old BC games look even better than just x enhanced by itself.

You’re forgetting that Sony helped them design Navi so expect another 2tf just from that. Thus 9tf becomes 11tf. Easy math.

And? A 52-56 CU gpu shouldn't be limited to 1725 MHz if a 44 CU counterpart can boost above 2 GHz. They are both RDNA2. There is a 80% difference in CUs between the lowest end Navi and the lowest binned 40 CU Navi 10 part. Yet only a 20% difference in frequency. How you get to a 20% jump in freq between the two gpus when the difference in CU count is only around 15-25%.

Thats magic math.

Yeah, but in regards to BC you can't do native.
So was wondering what the performance is like using re-shade.

This could really make some old BC games look even better than just x enhanced by itself.
I’m surprised they were able to bolt on DXR.
I would have assumed that would require a re-compile.

On subject of memory prices...Double digit price increase.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20200310VL202.html

Memory contract prices to see double-digit increases in 2Q20: DRAM and NAND flash memory contract prices are expected to register double-digit increases in the second quarter of 2020, driven by growing demand for data centers, and enterprise-class SSDs and other applications, according to industry sources.

McFly's RT is all screen-space. It takes depth and color buffers and ray-marches over them. There is no DXR
hmm, that's one hell of a bolt on.

I'm not sure if this is feasible for BC for MS. You'd have to build a generic solution into the VM wrapper to perform this feat. Sounds nuts.

Even if it were technically possible; I don't know if studios would allow them to do this.

So the only BC titles getting any sort of ray tracing affects added, could be at most, the ones that already have them built in with DXR today.

Yeah, agree. I have not tried any of those SS RT mods myself, but i guess it's no real option to pimp up older games.
I assume it's easy to show a video where all looks great and improved, but there should be cases where the result feels unstable and bad.
Because devs have no control over this, it's not possible to assure delivered quality.
Probably it will remain in the realm of modding, so a PC exclusive 'feature'.

Odium is up to no good again with his riddles and one possible interpretation could be PS5 is packing two sets of different CUs. One primary set of 16 CUs being raytracing capable, the other secondary set has 36 CUs that acts just like normal CUs so put them together you get 52 CUs in total. He also hints clock speed could go as high as 1750Mghz and 16Gb ram with 512gb/s bandwidth. So 11.64 TF all said and done.

Is the objection in reference to the old 14+4 suggestion that there were some CU separated and physically different?

The more everything is identical and all data paths equal, the more it can dispatch with maximum occupancy. They'd need a really good reason to split it in two types of CU.

Even if it were technically possible; I don't know if studios would allow them to do this.
That's the reason I said it would be for some of the currently x enhanced titles.
They had to get them signed off to enhance them they way they have, on a title by title basis.

So it would be a general implementation, but tailored for each title the way they currently had to for the x enhanced ones, and get re signed off.
They also had to thoroughly play test them to make sure they held up, but they did it.

No way they could do it as a general all BC games though.

That's the reason I said it would be for some of the currently x enhanced titles.
They had to get them signed off to enhance them they way they have, on a title by title basis.

So it would be a general implementation, but tailored for each title the way they currently had to for the x enhanced ones, and get re signed off.
They also had to thoroughly play test them to make sure they held up, but they did it.

No way they could do it as a general all BC games though.

Would need quite a tailoring. Quake 2 RTX was an artisic mess.

Would need quite a tailoring. Quake 2 RTX was an artisic mess.
Was that reshade or actually native?

That vid just got me thinking if they plan to do something similar to their x enhanced games. Where it's only for specific titles, and what is possible in that scenario.
As unlike general BC, they have to get specific sign of on the improvements they make, and do more detailed play throughs I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back