Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU's where crap. GPU's not that crappy, mid end offerings for the time perhaps, somewhat below. XSX will be mid-end if we get big navi and ampere this year. Many are comparing RTX2000 series from 2018, by the time will be over 2 years old, a 3070 will be matching a 2080/S, at the least. Perhaps a 3060 will match the consoles.

Zen2 8 core, most likely comparable to 3700x, a long shot from the best amd has to offer right now. No idea what the clocks will be but probably they wont boost to 4ghz or higher. Maybe a 3.2 to 3.5ghz baseclock.
in regards to consoles, well, it wasn't meant to imply they had bad GPUs and CPUs on consoles, but AMD overall, including the PC market. Before Ryzen and until the RX 570-580 (which were decent but not comparable to nVidia, I have a RX 570...taking dust but it was a very good GPU for 1080p), times were very dark for AMD, and even if I was -kinda- an AMD guy, their CPUs weren't interesting, now they are a technological orgasm, and their GPUs were good overall for mining and little else. Over bandwidth, over power consumption, teraflops monsters with little substance... nVidia still reigns GPU wise, but imho, Intel CPUs are now a lot worse than AMD's. Less secure, Intel cant manage to make competitive CPUs below 12nm -they have a huge problem there, maybe they will switch foundries- , their CPUs are less efficient, and cost a lot for what they offer in comparison to Ryzen.

They need some kind of revolution there 'cos I can see them in trouble.

has anyone noticed Halo CE is available for purchase on Steam and on gamepass PC? Some friends are saying that it has improvements over the Xbox One version. The description of the game says it also has HDR. Cant wait to play it at 1440p, 144fps -my monitor's refresh rate, 165Hz could be done with overclock but meh- and HDR,, but I highly doubt it is implemented. It's not implemented in Halo Reach for now, and it would be spectacular in that game, specially when you carry Cortana, those scenes with HDR have to be a sight to behold.

March 4, 2020

That is fantastic. Dynamic resolution is better than VRR 100% of the time, IMO. Then use VRR to avoid screen tearing when it drops from say 60 to 59 FPS occasionally.

It's too bad iD couldn't expose this functionality to players in the game. Other games on PC do it, so it's not like they couldn't have. Shame. But being able to mod game's on PC allows for things like this which is fantastic.

Regards,
SB

March 4, 2020
superb! I am going to go with the 144Hz file -my monitor's true native framerate, though it can be overdriven, I prefer not to-. Thanks @Dictator ! The files he uploaded here can save you quite a bit of time tweaking. I completed Doom on a laptop with a 1050Ti a year ago, wish I knew of this. Now that I have a 1080 on my desktop computer I am wondering what's the full resolution framerate will be at 1440p, but even so, games can be pretty inconsistent in that regard if you want a perfect framerate. Plus, I am currently playing via HDMI -DisplayPort is usually better, but HDMI is great for my monitor too- and that means no Freesync on nVidia gpus, so this is welcome. Still, playing Wolfenstein Youngblood and the likes, I rarely experience framerate issues at 144Hz without Freesync.

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https://pastebin.com/u/Dictator93&redir_token=Y-PXM0EXIhe5EV7rCgnIUT6sU8l8MTU4MzQ0NDY5N0AxNTgzMzU4Mjk3&event=video_description&v=GS_PhWP9YQI

upload_2020-3-4_23-14-17.png

That is fantastic. Dynamic resolution is better than VRR 100% of the time, IMO. Then use VRR to avoid screen tearing when it drops from say 60 to 59 FPS occasionally.

It's too bad iD couldn't expose this functionality to players in the game. Other games on PC do it, so it's not like they couldn't have. Shame. But being able to mod game's on PC allows for things like this which is fantastic.

Regards,
SB
gotta try VRR with Yakuza 0 on PC, but back into today's DF video, oddly enough he mentions that the game ran sooooo badly on the RX 580 for some reason. I wonder why, 'cos Doom has always been a showcase for AMD and Vulkan together, a combination that seems to fly in every game that implements Vulkan if you have an AMD card. It's quite odd.

gotta try VRR with Yakuza 0 on PC, but back into today's DF video, oddly enough he mentions that the game ran sooooo badly on the RX 580 for some reason. I wonder why, 'cos Doom has always been a showcase for AMD and Vulkan together, a combination that seems to fly in every game that implements Vulkan if you have an AMD card. It's quite odd.
I think there was a driver regression or something in the latest? IDK, it ran really poorly while other games ran fine!

I think there was a driver regression or something in the latest? IDK, it ran really poorly while other games ran fine!
amd drivers...., their biggest Achille's heel as of late, other than that they are doing fine. I redownloaded Doom 2016 today, gotta try that mod and your files. 144fps in Doom 2016 with a GTX 1080 instead of a laptop's 1050Ti...., cant wait. High settings -I barely notice the difference between High and Ultra in games- and native 1440p...buffffff. Perfection. Only HDR is missing but all the tick for greatness are enabled.

On another note, it's been 2 days since the game was released and we have this after a couple of days????

March 4, 2020
tested it, and it works like a charm! It doesnt make a big difference for me 'cos the GTX 1080 at 1440p and a Ryzen 1500X can keep 144fps like 99% of the time. Yet, when you defeat an enemy with the right stick, sometimes it drops to like 95 fps and I don't have Freesync available via HDMI. This never happens when I use the mod shared by Sebastian, which keeps the game running at 144Hz all the time.
I wonder if I could use this mod in Wolfenstein Youngblood. It is the same engine, right?

Halo aged rather well, considering that almost 20 years have past since then.
glad to know that @hptupolev worked with DF for this video, he knows about everything when it comes to Halo.

This is, like Reach, one of those game that runs well at 4k. I have a 4k monitor and this one at least would deserve a try on it. However, except from time to time, I would never use a 4k monitor having a good 1440p monitor as I have.

4k has several issues for now, imo:

- does not impact as much as a good HDR or other effects. You can tell a little difference, not much.

- so many pixes-->lots of bandwidth

- another problem of so many pixels is that to really enjoy it I think that you need a 40" monitor. In the 28" 4k monitor i have if I don't zoom up to 150% everything looks soooo tiny, unusable

- Current cable/bandwidth standards at 4k are not yet very compatible with HDR, high framerates, 10bit color, etc., at the same time, until a new Displayport comes out or the new HDMI is standardized

- today everything is limited to 4k 120 fps maximum, from what I see, not appealing.

Etc etc etc etc. It's kind of laughable when you see 8k mentioned and aside from resolution the game plays so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back