AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what will a de-coupled rdna(1) look like, without GCN ?

With full new-gen uArch rdna2, won't these new cards look close to what is being rumored, though..? It's not like they are pulling them out of thin air, there is more reality to these rumored specs, than can be dismissed, right?

So what will a de-coupled rdna(1) look like, without GCN ?

With full new-gen uArch rdna2, won't these new cards look close to what is being rumored, though..? It's not like they are pulling them out of thin air, there is more reality to these rumored specs, than can be dismissed, right?

Why do you think it will be a fully new arch? It seems likely to me that it will be very similar to RDNA 1 with the necessary tweaks to support VRS and whatever RT approach AMD has decided on. Are large improvements in general performance efficiency expected?

RDNA2 will have GCN in it just like RDNA1 does. The main point here is s/w backwards compatibility, mostly for consoles and it's not like using the same IA means much for the h/w architecture anyway.

Why do you think it will be a fully new arch? It seems likely to me that it will be very similar to RDNA 1 with the necessary tweaks to support VRS and whatever RT approach AMD has decided on. Are large improvements in general performance efficiency expected?
It's a narrative created by some hardware sites around RDNA1 launch, seeing how close it still is to GCN in many ways they created this story that it's a midwaypoint between GCN and "real RDNA", even when it seems pretty clear that RDNA is just evolution of GCN with different priorities brought front and RDNA2 will just improve on it

It's a narrative created by some hardware sites around RDNA1 launch, seeing how close it still is to GCN in many ways they created this story that it's a midwaypoint between GCN and "real RDNA", even when it seems pretty clear that RDNA is just evolution of GCN with different priorities brought front and RDNA2 will just improve on it

It's hard to define anything these days as a brand new architecture. Turing still has the DNA of Fermi, Maxwell and even G80.

I am expecting a whole new front end...

RX3o4Pd.jpg

How are they calculating +50% between GCN and RDNA1?

But this time without node change.
There will most likely be a node change, even when they didn't say specificly "N7+ EUV" they did say "enhanced 7nm" which can only mean either N7+ EUV or N7P, but since Navi 10 is already N7P it's unlikely they'd call that same node "enhanced 7nm" now when they didn't before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back