Heartbeat Sensor on Dualshock 5

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Oh, a new thread I haven't read yet!

*click*

donald-glover-fire-gif-12.gif
Is that you bringing cake?

Now there's a solution looking for a problem.

I still can't fathom this persistent manufacturer intent in spending money to research, develop, manufacture and ship hardware that does not have a clear purpose. This goes for all of Sony's cameras, which were at least cheap and optional, Kinect, and the DS4 touchpad.

Expecting consumers to recoup those investments when paying for their console in the 'hope' that some developers may do something interesting with the tech seems crazy. There are plenty of known, tangible technical barriers limitations holding back developers, why no focus and invest more in solving those. :-|

The motion sensors? I expect that it should have cost a lot of money in the controller. Millions of units small per small cost in each should amount to millions that could have been spent elsewhere.

This is my point. You say spent elsewhere but where? This is them trying to be innovative but as I've alluded to in most my posts it's not easy and most ideas don't really hit it big but people assume it's easy and that all resources should just be put to what works? Also I'm sure the consumer eats lots of the cost when buying new controllers in fact aren't accessories priced to have high margins.

So as long as a choice benefits you, you don't care how sensible it is or how it's inclusion affects everyone else? That's narrow-minded thinking.

How did it effect everyone else though? Less battery life yes but that's a small thing. All your arguments are based on hind sight where I'm arguing from when they made the decision, what if PSVR blew up and they sold 50 million of them and one of the reasons was because the price was reasonable because people didn't have to spend an extra $50 on a new controller?

It's easy looking back and saying oh that was stupid but much harder to predict what's going to happen going forward and yes it's much safer sticking to what you know works but for me it's very boring.

Once again I will bring up Tesla, most people though it was crazy and it would never work and they almost went bankrupt many times but now they have the potential to be massive.

I still can't fathom this persistent manufacturer intent in spending money to research, develop, manufacture and ship hardware that does not have a clear purpose. This goes for all of Sony's cameras, which were at least cheap and optional, Kinect, and the DS4 touchpad.

It's an egg chicken situation the feature has to be there for the developers to use it.
Also because games come out on different platforms which probably won't have said feature they don't over commit to these ideas. I find it refreshing that they still attempt different things though.

Also it doesn't mean it's taking resources away from the important things you mention.

Also it doesn't mean it's taking resources away from the important things you mention.

You have a budget of X, if you are spending some of that money on a heartbeat sensor it means less spent elsewhere.

The same goes for developers implementing a gimmick as a feature.

There are accessories that have shown promise, but it doesn't mean it should be bundled unless you want that to be the focus of your device. I think kinect was a great accessory, but a failure as a bundled feature.

This is my point. You say spent elsewhere but where?
They've already added haptic feedback on the triggers. ;)

How did it effect everyone else though? Less battery life yes but that's a small thing.
Don't forget the annoying glare on the TV, and the fact it didn't do what it was supposed to.
All your arguments are based on hind sight...
No, these were the arguments at the time.
where I'm arguing from when they made the decision, what if PSVR blew up and they sold 50 million of them and one of the reasons was because the price was reasonable because people didn't have to spend an extra $50 on a new controller?
You're assuming that the DS4 choice was ahead of a PSVR plan. That was a 3 year lead time - did Sony really think to start installing a device only needed 3 years from invention? I don't think so. I think the design was for better motion tracking, regardless of PSVR. That then didn't amount to anything, but PSVR at least justified it in the end.

Alternative, just like the introduction of the original Dual Shock, Sony could have released a controller with light bar and motion control, and then sold an optional motion-capable one that still functions as a normal controller. Those interested in PSVR could buy a second controller with motion abilities included.

Now you can argue about increased costs as you say, and perhaps the inclusions of those features were necessary for PSVRs relative success, but then at least you have an up-front justification. "Why on earth are Sony putting in a big lamp at the front of the controller? Oh, it's for VR control down the line."

If biosensors have a similar future, it should be justifiable, rather than just throwing in something new in the hopes it might go somewhere. Well, I suppose it doesn't have to. It's a business decision whether to try chucking stiff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Gamers are still entitled to protest though. ;)

It's easy looking back and saying oh that was stupid but much harder to predict what's going to happen going forward and yes it's much safer sticking to what you know works but for me it's very boring.
I can agree with that. Doesn't make the opposition argument dumb or wrong though. ;) I think the majority here argue the middle ground:

1) do nothing and wait for someone else to take risks and innovate
2) analyse options and go with those that seem solidly justifiable, avoiding the more esoteric options when there's isn't a clear use case.
3) admit you've no idea what can or cannot work and just try absolutely anything and everything

2 probably has the best balance of risks and rewards. 3 adds costs and rarely works (even well considered ideas like motion controls rarely find mainstream adoption) and 1 limits growth of your business if you can't sell something new to entice customers.

You have a budget of X, if you are spending some of that money on a heartbeat sensor it means less spent elsewhere.

Yes but the $1-5 dollars extra for these features makes it worth it where spending the same on the mainstay features really aren't going to make a difference.

I do doubt that Sony will use the biometric sensors patent though. I'm happy about the triggers though that sounds interesting.

Yes but the $1-5 dollars extra for these features makes it worth it where spending the same on the mainstay features really aren't going to make a difference.

Component/manufacture cost could be between 1 to 5 dollars yes. The resources and time for development behind a possible heartrate monitor much and much more though, which could very well ended up in something more usefull.

I do doubt that Sony will use the biometric sensors patent though. I'm happy about the triggers though that sounds interesting.

Ofcourse they won't. The triggers are more usefull, and can come to good use in many games. Will most likely get a DS5 for the pc.

Component/manufacture cost could be between 1 to 5 dollars yes. The resources and time for development behind a possible heartrate monitor much and much more though, which could very well ended up in something more usefull.

More useful as in what? They would obviously invest in something more useful if they knew what it was.

I think the majority here can't believe this thread is up to 4 pages and counting for what is basically a shrug and whatever topic.

That's because it's the only new thing some think might be PS5 related. They're thirsty.

I think you can buy quite a bit for $500 million dollars, but I'm old I remember when you could buy a Coke for 25 cents.

I think you can buy quite a bit for $500 million dollars, but I'm old I remember when you could buy a Coke for 25 cents.
That's unfair on XBat's argument. $5 more GPU isn't going to make a meaningful difference - $5 of anything regards core hardware per unit isn't generally going to make a big difference, whereas $5 adding something that wouldn't otherwise be present is a huge difference in terms of hardware offering - if it never gets used though, that's a different matter. ;)

$5 more on cooling could make a huge difference on entire system performance.
To certain extent, yep. Also maybe for the longevity of its cooling performance.

The horrible TIM they used for launch ps4 and launch ps4 pro doesn't stay tip top for long. Resulting in louder fan as it ages despite the air on exhaust doesn't feel as hot, so it need to work harder. And a business opportunity for servicing ps4...

$5 more on cooling could make a huge difference on entire system performance.

$5 dollars was the upper end of my range and I doubt whatever they add if they do will be that expensive. I doubt spending that much more on cooling would add much better performance.

It still is.
Why is it? I got a lot of captures from my sessions especially ones involving challenges and competitive play. Youtube is filled with captures
Its probably the single feature that actually privided tangible benwmefits. It really helped build a community

$5 dollars was the upper end of my range and I doubt whatever they add if they do will be that expensive. I doubt spending that much more on cooling would add much better performance.
Maybe not performance, but quietness, definitely. The cheap-ass paste they use in these things has been shown to be very poor by those who take apart their consoles and use Arctic Silver or similar. Could also add some removal dust filters.

Back