Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Hell, even the suit designs in Halo 4 and 5 were generally horrible.

It did seem like the conversation inside 343 went, "how do we make the hardware designs fresh and interesting?" "Let's take the worst elements of American car design!"

They seem to have nicely gone pack to their roots with the look of Infinite, which pleases me greatly.

Last edited:
It did seem like the conversation inside 342 went, "how do we make the hardware designs fresh and interesting?" "Let's take the worst elements of American car design!"

They seem to have nicely gone pack to their roots with the look of Infinite, which pleases me greatly.

Not just that but they also attempted to mesh Japanese Anime Mecha designs cues into some of the suits. Not a particularly good fit overall, IMO.

Regards,
SB

That's exactly what they did with Halo 4 and 5. Tried to deviate from what Halo 1-3, ODST, and Reach did...and Halo players generally hated it. Halo players wanted something closer to Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach in terms of both gameplay and storytelling. ESPECIALLY WRT the story.

Hell, even the suit designs in Halo 4 and 5 were generally horrible.

Regards,
SB

Actually I can't see that in Halo 4 at all. From visual problems, a ridiculous stupid plot, some bad underground level designs which felt like some trainee played with the toolkit, lack of open world feel, ridiculous stupid plot idea, boring enemies and the worst crime of it all, quick time events. That game aborted my interest in Halo.

I know they *tried* to innovate their mechanics evolutionary in Halo5 but it just felt old to me after Destiny. The general plot/campaign bored me overall. Halo4 and 5 had this soap opera/drama plot that is the opposite of what I expect from a Halo title, a *space opera* which blows you away in its grandiose scope.

I know a lot really liked Halo5's PvP but to me Halo has only really been about the campaign.

The suit design in Halo CE was pretty much a off-road motorcross jump-suit and helmet with those garish rainbow-like sunglass lenses for the visor. The enemies looked like tall men and midget inside a monster suit from a japanese B-level TV show like Power Rangers or Jaspion.

I often see people cling to purity over certain source material to the point of forgetting how terrible it waa in the first place. I get it, Halo's simplicity is part of its charm, and I definetely thing it is really cool to pay homage to that. Just don't say the original designs were good, because that is objectivelly absurd. Take your nostalgia glasses off.

Stahp. You're curdled.

The latest Sangheili & Ungoy look like they were stung by a bee.

Last edited:
The first halo was actually an excellent launch game in all regards, gameplay, graphics, AI, audio and even its multiplayer. It upped the bar also for console FPS gaming. On top of that the controls where amazing compared to about anything else on console.
Visually Halo was better technically then anything that gen, and that for a launch game on a all new MS console, their first.

Actually I can't see that in Halo 4 at all. From visual problems, a ridiculous stupid plot, some bad underground level designs which felt like some trainee played with the toolkit, lack of open world feel, ridiculous stupid plot idea, boring enemies and the worst crime of it all, quick time events. That game aborted my interest in Halo.

I know they *tried* to innovate their mechanics evolutionary in Halo5 but it just felt old to me after Destiny. The general plot/campaign bored me overall. Halo4 and 5 had this soap opera/drama plot that is the opposite of what I expect from a Halo title, a *space opera* which blows you away in its grandiose scope.

I know a lot really liked Halo5's PvP but to me Halo has only really been about the campaign.

Erm, you just listed some of the ways that 343i tried to change up the traditional Halo formula...which is what I was saying.

Destiny has a lot of good things going for it. Unfortunately as I play Warframe a lot. Destiny and Destiny 2 just ends up feeling like a worse Warframe. That said, Destiny 2 is definitely a good game. I don't like it as much as the Bungie era Halo games, however.

The suit design in Halo CE was pretty much a off-road motorcross jump-suit and helmet with those garish rainbow-like sunglass lenses for the visor. The enemies looked like tall men and midget inside a monster suit from a japanese B-level TV show like Power Rangers or Jaspion.

I often see people cling to purity over certain source material to the point of forgetting how terrible it waa in the first place. I get it, Halo's simplicity is part of its charm, and I definetely thing it is really cool to pay homage to that. Just don't say the original designs were good, because that is objectivelly absurd. Take your nostalgia glasses off.

Things like this are always incredibly subjective. I personally think the original design for Halo was excellent. It'd be a bit presumptuous to claim this is art, but such things (even art) is inspired by or borrowed from the everyday mundane. Andy Warhol's most famous painting being just recolored cans of Campbell soup cans doesn't make it less compelling for people that like it. Of course it's also considering highly mundane by others because it's just recolored cans of Campbell soup cans.

Halo: Combat Evolved is closing in on 20 years. The designs in that game have aged much better, IMO, than many other games of the same era. The design is grounded and practical. It's something you could envisage as a potential future evolution of combat technology. IE - more grounded in realism than fantasy even though the entire game is fantastical.

Going back to it (playing), I still like the design, something I can't say for many of the games from the past 20 years.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Halo: Combat Evolved is closing in on 20 years. The designs in that game have aged much better, IMO, than many other games of the same era. The design is grounded and practical. It's something you could envisage as a potential future evolution of combat technology. IE - more grounded in realism than fantasy even though the entire game is fantastical.

Going back to it (playing), I still like the design, something I can't say for many of the games from the past 20 years.

Regards,
SB

I agree 100% on that, with reggards to the human tech. That simplicity and grounded-ness is what made Halo CE special then. It did look like some bland boring tech the american military would come up with. And that is why it was so immersive. I love that 343 seems to be going back to that with infinite.

But I don't see as much inspiration on the original's creature design, nor alien tech and architecture. It was as both bland AND unrealistic. It managed to be cheesy, but not fun cheesy, just boring cheesy. And it has gotten worse with age.

And I say all that despite the fact that I'm all for a fully nostalgic remaster of old classics with modern tech but absolute loyalty to an originals source. Paying homage not just to the end result, but to the feel and impression it caused at the time. But that has to be done with self-awareness, and that starts recognizing the weaknesses of the original source and deliberately choosing to own them up.
I've had wet dreams of a modern doom game with a real-time miniature of the protagonist's face on the HUD for example, and unapologetically 80's/90's heavy metal comic book design for all monstars, with no atempt at "MoDeRnIzAtIoN"
I've dreamed of a MK game with fully photorealistic 3D modeles of the original characters in exact replicas of the cheap-ass costumes the actors used for the first game's photo-shoots. Environments with a mix of perfectly convincing objects where they would have been photo/video cutouts of real-world objects in the originals with purposegully non-PBR old-school shader stuff to try to capture shitty 90's cgi for other parts of the scene. With even a simulated green bounce lighting around the characters silhouettea from a virtual chroma-key screen, just for the shits and gigs.
Embrace the camp, with all the good and all the bad. No compromises. I'd find a game like that hilarious, but I don't see it happening.

So since I know 343 would not have the balls to do that with Halo, so if they are gonna modernize here and there, then I think where they should care the least about mantaining the integrity of the original is the Mosters and Alian tech, because that shit was positively ridiculous.

I agree 100% on that, with reggards to the human tech. That simplicity and grounded-ness is what made Halo CE special then. It did look like some bland boring tech the american military would come up with. And that is why it was so immersive. I love that 343 seems to be going back to that with infinite.

But I don't see as much inspiration on the original's creature design, nor alien tech and architecture. It was as both bland AND unrealistic. It managed to be cheesy, but not fun cheesy, just boring cheesy. And it has gotten worse with age.

Yes. I do love the OG game because of the nostalgia but being honest the enemies and even the level design was not good, however it was probably one of the best FPS available on console and that time and that made it special, but there were much better FPS on PC already.

The best thing about Halo CE is still the MP. Halo 2, 3 and Reach we much better games. Halo 3 may be my favorite. I may replay Halo 2 soon now that the remastered version has come out for PC as well.

Edit: BTW I have not played any of the 343 games. I was told the story telling is good but not so much the game design. May give them a try if Infinite is good.

I miss the commentaries. It would have been nice to get some sort of insight into the awful stories of Halo 4/5 from their perspective at least.
after hunt the truth and all the fallout over H5 marketing. Yea. They ain’t going to repeat that. It’s going to be nadda till release.

after hunt the truth and all the fallout over H5 marketing. Yea. They ain’t going to repeat that. It’s going to be nadda till release.
idk if that would have mattered for a commentary on the cut-scenes and levels though. Even Halo 2 was rather hated (at the time) for having the split campaign and then the cliffhanger. The commentaries were good humoured while making fun of themselves in a way that made them seem more like normal people with some humility and self-awareness in retrospect.

idk if that would have mattered for a commentary on the cut-scenes and levels though. Even Halo 2 was rather hated (at the time) for having the split campaign and then the cliffhanger. The commentaries were good humoured while making fun of themselves in a way that made them seem more like normal people with some humility and self-awareness in retrospect.
Perhaps; then again perhaps it’s just better to keep it Ho hum and just release it. There are way too many opinions on how halo should play. They should just make it the way they want to and forget everyone else. They can evade that pressure from the community and just build something. That means we miss out on the little documentaries.

Back