Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
some talk on both consoles starting around ~17:30

edit: ray tracing performance on RDNA2 may not be that great
edit: he works out the CUs on XSX using the frequency from leaks
edit: he believes that PS5 will be 9.2 TF at 2Ghz. (or at least he doesn't seem to refute the gap in raw teraflops)
github had no frequency and I believe that's the only source he's using. He's using github to speculate about what he thinks is possible with big navi.
An odd video from Jim.

Odium is so obviously full of shit it's hilarious.

That said he's kvetching on about March 5, so that's something. Announcement of pre-announcement one presumes. But basically it gives us something concrete to look at/be wrong.

Date I've heard is March 5th for *something*. No I don't know what, other than it will be "interesting". I assume it could be AMD show related, and as this is from a guy more in line with PlayStation than Xbox, I would guess PS5 wise. It could be related to some new spec details though. While plans change due to the virus, I'm gonna hold him to that, as he's trustworthy. I would be very shocked if not, and he hasn't said anything to the contrary. After I posted some hints to this, suddenly everybody started posting about the AMD show and MS, so who the fuck knows. Maybe, maybe something else. Check the post history.

Info I've heard is relating to TF count will piss a lot of people off but oh well... Remember ages ago I mentioned they were trying to get to 11.5 and ran into a few thermal issues stopping them and were higher 10, then I was backed up by a few other people on that case that heats were a bit higher than they would like, so couldn't push any higher? Well, they fixed the thermals. The down side is that they are a bit more noisy now, the upside, is that the current TF clock his end, is currently 11.6. HOWEVER... There is talk that they may have to adjust the GPU profile if the heat isn't performing up to scratch. There are certain thresholds they don't want to go over, because more heat = more issues, obviously, so while the heat isn't an issue as such right now, they may have to drop the clock to reduce the noise. Now, a slight drop can create a large db reduction while being unnoticeable to everyday performance, so if they dropped it to lets say 11.5, or 11.4, you wouldn't exactly see anything ingame. This is the most up to date info I have, and its from a first party dev. Again, check my post history, most recently today and yesterday, for the 11.6. I'm sure I don't have to explain that 11.6 versus 12 is a god damn mirror image, and that once you factor in the better SSD and other things Sony's end, you are looking at two consoles neck and neck where it really DOES come down to software.

Oh man, this is hilarious to even read. This guy has the most intimate details of what Sony engineers are up too...these insiders are truly fanfic writers.

Last edited:
Tommy Fisher was always a fraud. Never vetted and very quickly full of BS in his statements. O'dium is vetted (at Era) and a known developer.

Odium doesn't have a verified tag when I went there and observed his username for the first time 5 minutes ago? Not that as I've stated before, a verified tag especially on GAF (seems more muckrackey site) means much to me, as the person could be a verified game tester or Gamestop clerk.

Rangers "That said he's kvetching on about March 5, so that's something."

As we all know now AMD Financial Day is the 5th so it's pretty likely *something* coming from that will at least be news worthy IMO. He can use any type of news no matter how small or insignificant to claim he had a correct prediction.

Odium is so obviously full of shit it's hilarious.

That said he's kvetching on about March 5, so that's something. Announcement of pre-announcement one presumes. But basically it gives us something concrete to look at/be wrong.

Oh man, this is hilarious to even read. This guy has the most intimate details of what Sony engineers are up too..
I'm starting to think a bunch of xbox fans got together and decided to show just how gullible some people can be and it's working brilliantly. VFX did a 180 in minutes, timtam did the same, odium is an xbox guy also.

It had frequency though, for Oberon and Arden.
He's been using 1700, not 1675, since he got wind of it. People are also suggesting the 1675mhz is mem chip speed. Would be a slightly under clocked 14gb chip, but I haven't kept up with it since last night so I'm not sure they've decided what is what.

He's been using 1700, not 1675, since he got wind of it. People are also suggesting the 1675mhz is mem chip speed. Would be a slightly under clocked 14gb chip, but I haven't kept up with it since last night so I'm not sure they've decided what is what.
Nope, its intra-GPU bandwidth. Data is messy, but its same formula used for Oberon and from numbers, it is obvious 2.0GHz is used (and 1.675MHz for Arden).

IMO it makes 0 sense to downclock 14Gbps. Sony downclocked highest binned chips, not what is now considered mid tier memory module.

Well, yea, but all listed parts are available publicly, SOC id is not.

So? That has no logical implication to it not being listed. The arrangement of other components is so specific that anyone looking at it from a position of knowledge would know they leaked it. A SoC ID would do nothing to change that unless it was wrong.

So? That has no logical implication to it not being listed. The arrangement of other components is so specific that anyone looking at it from a position of knowledge would know they leaked it. A SoC ID would do nothing to change that unless it was wrong.
We will agree to disagree. I dont know which SOC ID they use for specific stages of hardware, but I assume leaking exact ID is not the same as saying they are using Samsungs 16 GDDR6 chips or Phison controller. On top of it, I dont find it important anyway, since it wouldnt really tell us much. You could as well ask him to take a screenshot of production line, its bogus nitpicking of relatively low down leak. In fact, if he leaked correct SOC ID I assume it would be direct firing and his post would bring much more heat then it really did (it didnt).

Again, I will repeat myself, only reason that leak was interesting was because it was first to actually post alleged details of PS5 dev kit which would be using actual APU. When it was posted, people called BS because it was too early to release actual APU based dev kits. What happened just month after that was Flute benchmark leaking and Sony actually sending V dev kits to developers. This is sole reason I find it interesting (alongside using 18Gbps chips, having 256 bit bus and die size matching 36CU + Zen2).

Things posted in it were unlikely to be true. Its too early for APU based dev kits to be released, yet now we know Sony did in fact release them mere weeks after the leak ,and had actual APU for months. It was also unlikely for them to use 256 bit bus and memory that was at the time only in sampling stages, yet now we can say with good amount of certainty that is what they are actually using. Die size was said to be too small because it didnt fit more then 50 GCN CUs (remember, back then Navi wasnt even announced), but Oberon shows 36CUs and whats more, height of die size he estimated pretty much matches Navi 10 chip.

This would all not be interesting if we knew what die size Navi 10 is, but we didnt, we got that info in June.

So, alot of little things add up with this rumor. It doesnt have to be true, since as I said,we have other few which tell us much more and they are verified leaks.

Last edited:
We will agree to disagree. I dont know which SOC ID they use for specific stages of hardware, but I assume leaking exact ID is not the same as saying they are using Samsungs 16 GDDR6 chips or Phison controller. On top of it, I dont find it important anyway, since it wouldnt really tell us much. You could as well ask him to take a screenshot of production line, its bogus nitpicking of relatively low down leak. In fact, if he leaked correct SOC ID I assume it would be direct firing and his post would bring much more heat then it really did (it didnt).

Again, I will repeat myself, only reason that leak was interesting was because it was first to actually post alleged details of PS5 dev kit which would be using actual APU. When it was posted, people called BS because it was too early to release actual APU based dev kits. What happened just month after that was Flute benchmark leaking and Sony actually sending V dev kits to developers. This is sole reason I find it interesting (alongside using 18Gbps chips, having 256 bit bus and die size matching 36CU + Zen2).
The SoC ID format was known at the time thanks to Komachi, and it followed the understood format of AMD codenames already. Someone who could understand the power delivery seemed over designed would be able to appreciate that fact. The production line comment is just an absurd strawman.

Nope, its intra-GPU bandwidth. Data is messy, but its same formula used for Oberon and from numbers, it is obvious 2.0GHz is used (and 1.675MHz for Arden).

IMO it makes 0 sense to downclock 14Gbps. Sony downclocked highest binned chips, not what is now considered mid tier memory module.
Gotcha. Thanks.

The SoC ID format was known at the time thanks to Komachi, and it followed the understood format of AMD codenames already. Someone who could understand the power delivery seemed over designed would be able to appreciate that fact. The production line comment is just an absurd strawman.
I think your entire argument is absurd. You are asking why the guy, allegedly working in QA department of Sony semi custom chip manufacturer, didnt post actual SOC ID number since he posted everything already?

I told you, for same reason someone like Klee went to great lengths describing highly classified next gen video game which, according to him, his friend brought on his private USB to show him, and telling people specs, yet not telling us "He works at Ubi/R*".

I think your entire argument is absurd. You are asking why the guy, allegedly working in QA department of Sony semi custom chip manufacturer, didnt post actual SOC ID number since he posted everything already?

I told you, for same reason someone like Klee went to great lengths describing highly classified next gen video game which, according to him, his friend brought on his private USB to show him, and telling people specs, yet not telling us "He works at Ubi/R*".
You don’t find it the least bit convenient that a leaker neglects to disclose the thing that is most easily able to determined to be false? Ok then.

You don’t find it the least bit convenient that a leaker neglects to disclose the thing that is most easily able to determined to be false? Ok then.
And the one that could get not him, but entire company in trouble, guaranteed? At that point he would have pretty much leaked the entire system with identification that would give him legitemacy and spotlight from pretty much entire internet?

I dunno, I found it much less convenient then guys leaking stuff left and right for months without ever actually giving concrete data, yet they are taken for absolute authority.

In the end, we are going into circles about leak that pretty much makes no difference one way or another. We already know all that about PS5 through other verified leaks, so dont see whats the big deal? He might have made it all up, but you have to hand it to him - he got few things very right before anyone was aware of them (which is first thing I check when looking at these kind of rumors).

He could have taken an easy way to grab headlines and put stuff like dual GPU, GTA VI being exclusive etc. but he posted super boring info no body actually cared about. Funny.

And the one that could get not him, but entire company in trouble, guaranteed? At that point he would have pretty much leaked the entire system with identification that would give him legitemacy and spotlight from pretty much entire internet?

I dunno, I found it much less convenient then guys leaking stuff left and right for months without ever actually giving concrete data, yet they are taken for absolute authority.

In the end, we are going into circles about leak that pretty much makes no difference one way or another. We already know all that about PS5 through other verified leaks, so dont see whats the big deal? He might have made it all up, but you have to hand it to him - he got few things very right before anyone was aware of them (which is first thing I check when looking at these kind of rumors).

He could have taken an easy way to grab headlines and put stuff like dual GPU, GTA VI being exclusive etc. but he posted super boring info no body actually cared about. Funny.
Again, your scenario is nonsensical. Someone who can understand that VRMs are over designed for an application would have the knowledge to distinguish a unique identifying serial number from a product code. If they were posting that much accurate information about the other parts on the board, Sony would already have the information they needed to hunt down the source. The only thing they’d risk by posting the SoC product code is being proven false by subsequent leaks of the correct product identifier string.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back