Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They show off their raytracing solution, built together with AMD for native DXR hardware support. 30 to 50 % more efficient (depending on workload/use case) than RTX implementation of DXR. RDNA2 was created exclusively for Microsoft and high power Radeon GPUs, includes deep learning AI for upscaling, animation interpolation..."

The leaker does not know interpolation does not need AI, special hardware, or even a skilled programmer. Assuming he does not know anything about AMD or MS either.

Sony could have simply guessed wrong. At the time the decisions about the design had to be made a lot of these variables were unknown. Last time, Sony gambled on the 8 GB of RAM and it paid off. This time, maybe their decisions won’t payoff. I don’t know.

I bet Sony didn’t think MS would allow the Xbox division to build such a large chip for XSX. All indications were that hardware wasn’t that important to MS.

The whole impression might be off currently.
If we calculate MS TF with this formula: (Lockhart TF * sells + Anaconda TF * sells) / overall sells,
Sony might end up still having the lead with 9 TF.

Edit: so... maybe Sony tries to wait upon Lockhart announcement before they want to announce a lower spec. PS5? Would give a much better impression then.

Last edited:
"They show off their raytracing solution, built together with AMD for native DXR hardware support. 30 to 50 % more efficient (depending on workload/use case) than RTX implementation of DXR. RDNA2 was created exclusively for Microsoft and high power Radeon GPUs, includes deep learning AI for upscaling, animation interpolation..."

The leaker does not know interpolation does not need AI, special hardware, or even a skilled programmer. Assuming he does not know anything about AMD or MS either.

If we calculate MS TF with this formula: (Lockhart TF * sells + Anaconda TF * sells) / overall sells,
no i would disagree with that.

AI animation interpolation is amazing.
It can definitely do a lot better than your algorithms can at interpolating between different animations and much more realistically.

You don't need AI for upscaling/resolution either but here we are

AI animation interpolation is amazing.
I know there is upcoming and promising work on procedural animation based on learning from motion capture, for example. But wouldn't you phrase this differently than simple 'interpolation'?

hmmm... the first one, interpolating pixel art is hart. Becasue there is no skeleton. So saying 'I can interpolate pixel art sprites' will give you attention.
But if you just say: 'Hey, guess what! I can now interpolate Animation for 3D characters!!!'... will only give you a laugh.

The second also seems unrelated to interpolation - it's about generating animation from scratch.

But no point to argue.

hmmm... the first one, interpolating pixel art is hart. Becasue there is no skeleton. So saying 'I can interpolate pixel art sprites' will give you attention.
But if you just say: 'Hey, guess what! I can now interpolate Animation for 3D characters!!!'... will only give you a laugh.

The second also seems unrelated to interpolation - it's about generating animation from scratch.

But no point to argue.
I'm not sure if he's using interpolation as a substitute for animation generation.

Edit: so... maybe Sony tries to wait upon Lockhart announcement before they want to announce a lower spec. PS5? Would give a much better impression then.
But what if MS planning release lockhart in early 2021? i personally think it's possible, because when the console launch, price isn't really that effective since most buyers are die hard fans or rich family.

Azure ray-tracing? Maybe for baking static GI. I could see being a game dev and using the cloud to bake out lighting information, but not for calculating anything in real-time while gaming.
NVIDIA seems to have something similar in the works:

Streaming Graphics with RTXGI

We go behind the scenes of our research tech demo showing the RTXGI SDK running asynchronously on a server. By computing lighting updates on the server, we provide dynamic real-time global illumination for a thin mobile PC or XR client. Our technique generalizes easily to multiple clients and is robust to high network latency. Our demonstration is a proof of concept of ray tracing as a service.

https://developer.nvidia.com/gdc20-show-guide-nvidia

I'm not sure if he's using interpolation as a substitute for animation generation.
Listening for some minute, seems he does not use this world. Calling it 'data driven animation', or... IDK. But they will come op with something that sounds new, different, and progressive.
Maybe he catched up the rumor before the marketing teams came up with something fancy. We will see in 3 days... :)

But what if MS planning release lockhart in early 2021? i personally think it's possible, because when the console launch, price isn't really that effective since most buyers are die hard fans or rich family.
Yeah, that's quite likely. Still no confirmation about Lockhart.
But MS has to confirm it some time before SX release. Otherwise it would not be fair for their player base to pick the model they want.
So it would be a safe bet for Sony to wait for this?

But MS has to confirm it some time before SX release. Otherwise it would not be fair for their player base to pick the model they want.
Agree they will confirm it before SX release(if lockhart do exist), but it's not like they need to announce lockhart long time before SX release.
Like if MS announce lockhart in TGS for fun:LOL:, is Sony not showing PS5 in TGS too? or they will quickly grab the PS5 from Sony's HQ to TGS event's location:LOL:?

If they announce all of that on AMDs financal call, after they have shown SOC shot before Sony's CES conference and released specs in February (saying how they are transparent and other should be), then I will assume they still hold grudges from 13'.

In any case, its a bit too much for me to accept this leak as it was not posted on 4Chan but, its in 2 days so we shall see.

While I still doubt lockhart exists as a consumer console. I doubt they would announce it inside of the launch window if it is not going to be available until later. The only way you upset the fan base is by upgrading a product or lowering price within the launch window.

So if Sony is waiting on a lockhart announcement then they probably waiting past the series x launch.

I agree that a staggered release makes the most sense for Lockhart. There's enough hardcore XBOX fans out there to keep demand really high in the first year. The following year when sales dip slightly they release Lockhart with a budget friendly price, continuing to bring people into the Xbox ecosystem at a much higher rate than if they had not released a cheaper console. Personally where I have multiple Xbox's in my house I could see picking up both consoles. XBSX will be my main console and depending on how many chores my son wants to do he's probably getting Lockhart instead of XBSX :D (Provided Lockhart really does exist)

Ok guys. So you say i might have to wait on Lockhart specs even longer than for PS5. Much longer. Although the lowest specs matter the very most. Thank you! :D

The speed bins are very much the same idea as processor binning - operational voltage & power consumption. It may not be impossible, but the question is the impact to yields and production volume.
It's what boutique brands are doing with overclocked gpu memory and ddr4 memory, but none of these are going through the rigorous JEDEC testing with all the necessary margins. They bin themselves.

Obviously doing their own binning wouldn't work with a console. They have no secondary product to use the failing chips, nor any guarantee of how many would pass in future productions and from different suppliers, nor enough data about silicon aging and stress at higher voltages. So they would need to ask memory suppliers to create a custom binning process at a custom clock/voltage just for them. Not crazy, but there must quite a narrow use-case where it's less expensive to ask for custom bins than just getting the higher standard grade.

If they want to multi-source easily, it will have to be the standard binning of 14, 16, 18...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back