Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how the goalposts are moving for that O'dium guy. First it was a little bit over or a little bit under 11 TF. Then it was about 10.5 to 11.5 TF. Now it's 11.5 TF +/- 0.25 TF? :D

Soon, it'll be a little under or a little over 12 TF? Then 11.5 to 12.5 TF? Then 12.5 TF +/- 0.25 TF? :D

Regards,
SB
There's been development lately tho, Sony just ordered a new thermal system and by now he's pretty confident they're hitting 11.5TF ish and going forward on that basis it's possible to hit even higher. Although he's been very adamant it wont go above 12. Not saying I 100% believe that guy but all this does sound reasonable.

There's been development lately tho, Sony just ordered a new thermal system and by now he's pretty confident they're hitting 11.5TF ish and going forward on that basis it's possible to hit even higher. Although he's been very adamant it wont go above 12. Not saying I 100% believe that guy but all this does sound reasonable.

Redesigning console airflow in the last year is quite a bold and incredible move.

Usually they're done in parallel with the SOC, but maybe were seeing something special here.

9% CPU and 6.6% GPU upclock before 5 and 3 months before release. None of the hardware was changed for 3 years besides ram density.

Adding a new cooling solution in final year would be amazing.
MS knew they were gonna be weaker years before release tho, so without abandoning the Kinect plan they wouldn't temper too much with revisions I suppose.

MS knew they were gonna be weaker years before release tho, so without abandoning the Kinect plan they wouldn't temper too much with revisions I suppose.

Any revision to their SOC means 1 year+ delay, and old SOC would be tossed out. Takes 3 years for a console to go from paper to launch.

Redesigning console airflow in the last year is quite a bold and incredible move.

Usually they're done in parallel with the SOC, but maybe were seeing something special here.

Or desperate?

A new cooler may mean a new case, a new case means other component might move and need redesign as Sony uses bespoke drives and psu etc.

Where's this cooling revamp info coming from?
but the biggest thing I’ve been told, was that the target specs on a near final revision for ps5 was 10.5-11.5, and they were having trouble hitting that upper limit due to heat being a concern. It was then reported after that, that Sony had invested in a higher cooking cost per bom, and I would bet my bottom dollar on both heat issues being present later. But yeah, the values I keep hearing there are the same, and those are, let’s be honest, totally realistic in all areas, with regard to comparing to the bom cost, the target that they are aiming for, and the fact that common sense would dictate that some things being said around here are highly unlikely without melting some marshmallows
1f923.png
9tf? No, just no, it was an older target they were working on ages back, year+, they had worked on and tested but then changed plans at some point hence why there is evidence for it but it won’t be the final design. 9tf is just as silly as 14 lol

So this O'dium guy is pretty certain PS5 would hit 11.5TF all said and done give or take 0.25TF, I say that's a fantastic scenario if true.

Credible sources, like Jason Schreier of Kotaku, has been saying for a while that devs familiar with both nextgen consoles have said they're both in the same ballpark, with one having an advantage on GPU and the other I/O, but fundamentally nothing earth shattering separating them. Whether PS5 is 11.5 Tf, 14Tf or 10Tf, in terms of graphics you're in the realms of diminishing returns but a few teraflops of compute can be used to do other interesting things. Maybe we'll actually get games with good cloth and hair physics on all characters.

Whether PS5 is 11.5 Tf, 14Tf or 10Tf, in terms of graphics you're in the realms of diminishing returns but a few teraflops of compute can be used to do other interesting things.

This is where Lockhart still makes me a bit twitchy. If that compute is used for something related to core gameplay in a title, Lockhart doesn't have the headroom to support it. Which mean 3rd parties won't use compute for gameplay impacting stuff.

It remains to be seen if compute will be used in that way for PS5 first party titles though. I'm not really sure what the use case is beyond cosmetic stuff.

It remains to be seen if compute will be used in that way for PS5 first party titles though. I'm not really sure what the use case is beyond cosmetic stuff.
Dynamic stuff. Fluid/matter simulation could be a game changer in some titles, creating new game mechanics.

I love how the goalposts are moving for that O'dium guy. First it was a little bit over or a little bit under 11 TF. Then it was about 10.5 to 11.5 TF.
Oh wow. That's completely different. Lol that guy really is moving goalposts!
I mean going from little bit over/under 11TF to a full 4.5% over/under 11TF?
The nerve on that guy!

/s

Now it's 11.5 TF +/- 0.25 TF? :D

Source?

I've been following his posts for a while and I haven't seen a single post with the claims you mention here.
His claims are: first party Sony developers told him 10.5 to 11.5, and obviously they'll go as high as they can.

Here's an idea:
- Character assassination attempts should at least come with proper reference links and full quotes. Posts like this are just bullshit.

I think that's a reasonable concern.
This is where MS as a platform maker, and Win DX maker comes into play.
They should be discussing and seeing where the industry is going and what their researching.

The question is how many games are truely like that (may be corner cases) , how far away are they, how much overhead is required.

Let's say it's 4-5 years away. That's close to a next gen or mid gen possibly.
If Lockhart had to lower effects (including quality of say physics) , and resolution down to 720-900p. By that time, if its bothering people then upgrading to xsx would be in their budget.
But I'd expect that if their still playing on a 1080p TV they would stick with it.

If it's closer than 4 years, then I still think people who bought a Lockhart would still be ok with a reduced experience given all the other benefits etc. Still think it would be the exception rather than the rule though.

Edit:
Probably worth saying what I'm basing some of my thoughts on.
  • Current gen had relatively poor CPU's and async capable GPUs and not seen it used much in terms of non scalable work loads.
  • This gen could've had pc exclusive / PS4 that used gpu in that way, never really happened.
  • Next gen will have capable CPU's.
  • Will it limit some corner cases that just can't be scaled down, possibly but how many cases is that compared to the market penetraction and expansion that an entry machine could give?

Last edited:
Oh wow. That's completely different. Lol that guy really is moving goalposts!
I mean going from little bit over/under 11TF to a full 4.5% over/under 11TF?
The nerve on that guy!

/s

Source?

I've been following his posts for a while and I haven't seen a single post with the claims you mention here.
His claims are: first party Sony developers told him 10.5 to 11.5, and obviously they'll go as high as they can.

Here's an idea:
- Character assassination attempts should at least come with proper reference links and full quotes. Posts like this are just bullshit.
Ok that +-0.25TF came from me interpreting his words :), I got the impression it's around that 11.25-11.75TF ballpark. But yeah he's definitely not being shifty deliberately like some are suggesting, it's an ever evolving matter but the only way it's going is up.

I don't see how any third party dev would be privy to any changes to the hardware regarding cooling. Yes they will obviously have performance targets and so forth but I get very sceptical when they start talking about design decision that only the hardware guys at AMD and Sony would know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back