Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Not good.
After the email, the complaint said, top officials, including Lynn Johnson, the assistant secretary for the Administration for Children and Families, “admitted that they did not understand their mission,” and that her agency “broke protocols” because of the “unprecedented crisis” and an “‘all hands on deck’ call to action” by Dr. Robert Kadlec, the top official for public health emergencies and disasters.

And the US is in trouble here now as well.

Why are people surprised? Isn't it common for most virus' to be able to infect the same person again?

More interesting is whether there is any change if resistance the second time a person gets infected or whether it hits the same or harder.

I think it's important to be prepared, take precautions. Which is what our government is now telling us. But spreading mass hysteria and fear is a no go. We are far from that point.

Why are people surprised? Isn't it common for most virus' to be able to infect the same person again?

More interesting is whether there is any change if resistance the second time a person gets infected or whether it hits the same or harder.

The fear is that if the virus got "low mode" so the phase is no-symptoms but infected, symptoms, looks good for 2 weeks, symptoms again.

Sorry I don't know what the right term for that in English

Edit:
Btw my government says the latest flu death Indonesia was due to flu was not COVID19 but swine flu.

They also recommend to keep praying strong but here I am, ditching Friday prayers to watch sonic.

To my defense: I forgot today is Friday

Last edited:
I already talked about that. People need to stop finding reasons to terrify themselves - it does more harm than good. Scroll back through the discussion and see the other data, and see there's no proof of anything to be scared about (unstoppable diseases that you cannot be cured of). Of the 14% of Chinese who have tested positive after being discharged, none have so far developed symptoms.

There are a lot of unknowns. Single data-points do not paint a good picture. It's like looking at a single corner-piece of a jigsaw puzzle and thinking you know what the whole picture is going to be. Human beings are very complicated, diverse, and individual. They react biologically in different ways to different things. Looking at the response of one individual and extrapolating to the whole population is unreliable. The totality of data so far points to

1) the vast majority of people just suffering mild cold symptoms
2) mortality is concentrated on the elderly and those with other conditions:
upload_2020-2-28_10-32-54.png
3) a small portion of those infected and assumed free of the disease are later testing positive, though largely without showing symptoms.

Any and every anomaly is going to make headlines, but the are just part of the whole discovery process.

Some reinfenctions are actually expected, happen to have an epidemologist friend who is working on contingency measures.
Hmm. I feel the need for proof you even have a real 'epidemiologist friend' and you'll be banned if just making it up. ;)

*Renames thread to "Baseless Covid19 Speculation" thread*

I was literally asking the guy if I could share his name, lol.

Anyway, the WHO has published a new report: https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Recommendation for the public:
1. Recognize that COVID-19 is a new and concerning disease, but that outbreaks can be managed with the right response and that the vast majority of infected people will recover;
2. Begin now to adopt and rigorously practice the most important preventive measures for COVID-19 by frequent hand washing and always covering your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing;
3. Continually update yourself on COVID-19 and its signs and symptoms (i.e. fever and dry cough), because the strategies and response activities will constantly improve as new information on this disease is accumulating every day; and
4. Be prepared to actively support a response to COVID-19 in a variety of ways, including the adoption of more stringent ‘social distancing’ practices and helping the high-risk elderly population.

Points out a key issue:
Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China.
These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans. Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures.

Points out a key issue:
Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China.
These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans. Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures.
This is where factually correct info is paramount. Scared populations (with guns) seeing this as a plague will seek to break quarantine to escape contraction, and end up spreading the disease, requiring aggressive enforcement - See The Last Of Us...

It's worth noting that the Black Death/Bubonic Plague, the most monstrous disaster humanity has ever known, was never cured, but survived through effective quarantine. It's thus important to ensure people are able to quarantine. People forcing themselves in to work because they don't get sick pay or similar is jeopardizing everyone for the sake of some economic constructs. The burden of good health should lie with everyone, not the individual.

There's actually a good argument that if everyone was able to self quarantine over every contageous illness, flu and colds themselves could be contained. It's only the problem of people mixing with social groups while infectious that causes them to spread. Economically, it'd probably be cheaper for a country to pay sick people to stay home than to have them go to work and reduce the effectiveness of everyone.

Of concern now is the first case in the UK not originating from abroad and not clearly related to any confirmed coronavirus case. I think once you get one such case, it's a given that there are other unknown infected wandering around.

As has been demonstrated already by chinese data, fatality rate is very low for otherwise healthy people. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try to ensure a slow spread in order to minimize strain on medical facilities. And of course, quite a few, primarily elderly people aren’t otherwise healthy, but fearmongering is both unjustified and unhelpful.

Not sure if it was posted yet, but some israeli company believes they might be just weeks from human useable vaccination against SARS-CoV-2.
They had been developing a vaccine against another coronavirus infecting birds (so for chicken etc), which has similar genetic code to the new coronavirus infecting humans, which apparently made it relatively easy to modify the vaccine against it.
https://www.newsweek.com/coronaviru...ad-israeli-science-research-institute-1489694 and gazillion other sources

Back