Linux is a pile of shit

They are giving a giant shit sandwich I have to eat. Nothing to be grateful for.

Then do not use it. You have paid nothing and you have the right to expect nothing. And why do you think anyone would help you when your attitude when you get help (in form of software) is to complain and insult the people who gave you help (the developers of said software)? If I ran a consulting business I would charge you double because you seem extremely irritating to work with.

I think I have found the problem

headless server = a server without a terminal/monitor device connected to it

So you are trying to change the resolution of something that does not exist

hmmmm I wonder what the issue could be :LOL:

The fact that you keep talking about consultants pretty much says it all. What kind of job did shittydev do if it requires a goddamn consultant to do something simple as change the resolution. That is basic functionality. It shouldn't require any skill.

I think I have found the problem

headless server = a server without a terminal/monitor device connected to it

So you are trying to change the resolution of something that does not exist

hmmmm I wonder what the issue could be :LOL:

Linux, obviously. Just because there isn't a monitor connected doesn't mean you wouldn't want to connect to the TTY that would show up if you did connect a monitor. Think about applications such as VNC. Windows for example doesn't care about this. Yank out your monitor and Windows will gladly allow you to set whatever resolution you want if you connect with VNC because why not. But Linux is a whining little bitch that for whatever reason just has to make life difficult because its whole display server is screwed up and incapable of just allowing users to set a simple resolution instead of defaulting to 640x480.

It's not headless if it has a head (monitor). If it was headless you'd just ssh to it
inux, obviously. Just because there isn't a monitor connected doesn't mean you wouldn't want to connect to the TTY that would show up if you did connect a monitor. Think about applications such as VNC. Windows for example doesn't care about this. Yank out your monitor and Windows will gladly allow you to set whatever resolution you want if you connect with VNC because why not

If the server has a head (monitor), it is not headless. Use ssh to connect to the server.

Assuming the server is b0rked and you have to connect a monitor to work on it, do that and get sshd running, then connect using ssh.

If you really have to do extensive work on the machine in the TTY and can't live with 80x25, change VGA resolution, it takes all of five minutes on google (cjo helped you already).

Why do you have to do this? You clearly lack the qualifications. This entire thread is you bitching about your own incompetence.

Cheers

Except changing the resolution in grub doesn't work, I already tried that. It breaks software that connects to tty1 when no monitor is connected.

Yeah sure blame the user. I might be an idiot but that doesn't make Linux any less shit. An OS should help the user get shit done, not make its users spend years of trial and error just to get mundane everyday crap working. 2019 for fuck sake, software should be designed with at least some usability in mind.

Figure out machine installation via pxe boot&chef/salt/puppet. Better yet bring services in via docker. Never spent another day manually configuring machines once automation scripts are done.

Some news relevant to us gamers

A post on BetaNews says Canonical is backtracking on their plans to scrap 32-bit support in Ubuntu. It seems this would mean Valve will be able to continue to support this Linux distro in Steam. Word is:
Thanks to the huge amount of feedback this weekend from gamers, Ubuntu Studio, and the WINE community, we will change our plan and build selected 32-bit i386 packages for Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04 LTS.
We will put in place a community process to determine which 32-bit packages are needed to support legacy software, and can add to that list post-release if we miss something that is needed.

https://betanews.com/2019/06/24/canonical-backpedal-ubuntu-linux/

There's very slanted reports on what actually happened and kneejerk reactions from Valve without understanding what Canonical had said. They never said they were removing or scrapping 32bit support.

But you know, let the factually bankrupt sensationalist headlines and fanatic responses capture all the attention.

Another day in Linshit paradise.

How shit can it get? As shit as iptables. Fucking hell somebody went out of his/her way to make it as crap as possible. Due to the genius way Linux works you can't listen on lower ports without root privileges. So basically all your industrial equipment outputting logs require you to run your software with root privileges OR use iptables to redirect incoming ports to a higher port. Except iptables does an utter shit job. It's just another Linux thing that is fundamentally broken. Try redirecting your port. It can work, because I got it working. But try using the same rules on a different system? Nope. No fucking way that will work. Same settings working across systems? That would make too much sense. Better have some random shit decide whether it will work or not.

Oh and another awesome function of iptables is the inability to reorder rules. If your nat rules aren't at the top, and by the way there is no way to actually see this unless you cat the iptables rules file, which you won't see mentioned anywhere, it won't work. But if you enter your rules in the "wrong" order, nat gets fucked to the bottom and you are just sitting there wondering why the fuck its not working. Really awesome feature, makes trying to troubleshoot problems very easy as well.

yijkes. iptables nightmare.
last time i used iptables was last year when i was going to do some kind of caching thru a PC or something. Gave up after stuck for 2 hours trying to make any sense of it. In the end i used caddy reverse proxy to route the thing combined with a few more apps i dont remember.

Due to the genius way Linux works you can't listen on lower ports without root privileges. So basically all your industrial equipment outputting logs require you to run your software with root privileges OR use iptables to redirect incoming ports to a higher port.

... Or just set the capability CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE on the executable and avoid all your headaches?

Have you considered that the reason that you are having such a hard time is that you have no clue, refuse to entertain the fact that you have no clue, and therefore do not seek advice?

I didn't actually remember the exact name of that capability, so I just typed "linux listen on low port" to google and it's the first result.

Also, iptables rules do work the same everywhere. If they don't, PEBKAC.

Or just use much easier tools like CSF or UFW to manage your firewall, which of course uses IP tables but doesn't require a massive learning curve.

Back