Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposed vetted industry professional from neogaf:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...leaks-thread.1480978/page-1074#post-257071638

"Alright people. One last time..

I heard that there are 2 consoles per company. The mid-gen refreshes are going to be introduced at release so that these consoles can run the entire 7yr cycle.

XSX that was released yesterday is the top end one. 12TFLOPS
There will be a base Xbox Series X that is slower than that one.

Sony is releasing 2 PS models. The base PS5 is 9TFLOPs . Their other one is also top of the line to compete with XSX top dog.

This all makes sense now as to why people are getting mixed numbers for each of the platforms.

I also heard that the top of the line models will be expensive. No pricing but I would guess around $600.

Also no dates on when the top models will come out for PS5.

My guess is that they are going to release both models at the same time.

This is ALL I know and won't be fishing for anymore info."

VFX_Nonveteran is just covering his ass if Sony has another machine (second sku) that's a premium model. He's full of it. Anyhow, Sony having two models ready for launch is nothing new. This was rumored last year.

https://winfuture.de/news,111252.html
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-5-pro-launch-with-base-playstation-5/

VFX_Nonveteran is just covering his ass if Sony has another machine (second sku) that's a premium model. He's full of it. Anyhow, Sony having two models ready for launch is nothing new. This was rumored last year.

https://winfuture.de/news,111252.html
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-5-pro-launch-with-base-playstation-5/

His posts are kinda all over the place saying they may launch a Pro model at the same time as the base model...then saying it might not come out until a couple of years.

He also says XSX and PS5 Pro might be $600 or $800...so...

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...leaks-thread.1480978/page-1074#post-257071638

I heard that there are 2 consoles per company. The mid-gen refreshes are going to be introduced at release so that these consoles can run the entire 7yr cycle.

Sony is releasing 2 PS models. The base PS5 is 9TFLOPs . Their other one is also top of the line to compete with XSX top dog.

This all makes sense now as to why people are getting mixed numbers for each of the platforms.

I also heard that the top of the line models will be expensive. No pricing but I would guess around $600.

So let me guess VFX veteran works for a movie or CGI type studio? Unlikely such place has much access. So many of these insiders are probably very tangentially related to consoles at best. That's why being "vetted" means little to me. Of course even within companies there would be vast differences in access, but a programmer for say Ubisoft is much different than someone who works in a tangentially related small firm like a "Vr firm".

The few people important enough to actually know a lot are likely sure not scumming around posting regularly for clout on Neogaf and ResetEra. Of course on the flipside, info WILL inevitably come out, so one cant discount "stuff" entirely.

People that were bashing him are now taking this as fact because it fits their narrative. My guess is that was the intent of that post. He;s trolling.

So let me guess VFX veteran works for a movie or CGI type studio?
Lockheed martin IIRC. His bio/resume was tracked down some years ago if I'm not mistaken.

Already backtracking, it seems:
VFXVeteran on GAF said:
Guys you all have to calm down. Sheesh!

Our text was pretty flaky because he was getting the information from a very high profile worker at Sony.

The text seems to be all over the place.

I never got dates nor prices. As I said before, "expensive" to me means near Nvidia 2080 costs. The guessing is all on me so take it with a grain of salt.

PS5 as of now is 9TF. I specifically asked that and got a yes.

PS5 falls in between performance of the Lockheart and the XSX. That is confirmed.

The iffy part is the PS5 Pro.

"they have one model with lower specs than PS5 and one model with higher specs. PS5 is right in the middle" -- talking about the Xbox SKUs.

"tons of rumors that the lower spec xbox is coming out this year".

"XSX is equivalent to the RTX 2080 super"

"unless they plan on selling it for $800 I doubt it will release anytime soon." -- XSX coming out later??

There is other comments like if XSX sells for $500 then that would disrupt Nvidia sells, etc.."

Anyway, I tried to piece together was is happening. It appears like the PS5 Pro is coming later. That would mean the base PS5 is 9TF and perhaps the 2 SKUs for Xbox are releasing during xmas 2020.

So 2 models. Possible 2 coming out from Microsoft but 1 coming out for Sony.

I'm just as confused as you guys but I won't press for straight answers.

Very standard for people who want insider cred, be vague, noncommittal and act like things are way more fluid than they actually are.

Already backtracking, it seems:

Very standard for people who want insider cred, be vague, noncommittal and act like things are way more fluid than they actually are.

I've warned users/members in this very thread about him. VFX_Nonsense and his various alt-accounts still at it.

Combination of ~9TF base console and ~12TF pro console doesn't make much sense to me. The pro console should have at least triple the TF count of the base console, preferably more.

People that were bashing him are now taking this as fact because it fits their narrative. My guess is that was the intent of that post. He;s trolling.

The funny thing is that just a few months ago these desperate fanboys had huge problems with a 2 console strategy. Trolling until their brains get mushy. I have to admire this master stroke.

right; fair enough.
My experience with this type of thing might be analogous to a court trial. Leakers are like witnesses, the lawyers and prosecutors are journalists, and the evidence are real data points that can't be refuted. Like datamined sources.
So a witness is like a person who saw the suspect at a certain time and place. They are like bystanders that happened to be around a suspect at the time of the crime.
And the problem is you're literally examining words at a legal level IMO - don't forget, many internet users type English but not English, how many times have you read a double negative? Also, these days people type like they talk which is not great.

What i'm trying to say is, my experience is that I can be given information that is confidential, because we're friends. And they are excited about talking about their work, and they have some passion about what they are working on. But I'll never ask them, so many cores, what clock rate, what's the TF? or when to expect it, or this or that. They will tell me whatever they want to tell me, and I'll just listen. If I start asking real questions, they are going to stop being my friends real soon and they'll never tell me things ever again. I have family who work at Apple, and part of the orientation is that you never talk about what you're working on, and you never ask people what they're working on, or what areas they work on. It's really tight.
I get that, I have a friend and family member who work on far more 'important' things than tech - they tell me things they shouldn't, I ask questions. It's called showing interest, of course I'm not going to ask specifics. In the case of someone working on PS5 I might ask what new things I might see that wasn't around last gen and roughly how much faster/more powerful...I don't think these questions would be unreasonable depending on the relationship - I always think back to when I was shown Crash before the press, I had a pretty good professional relationship with the guy at Sony and he obviously was excited to show me.

When I read a single leaker is writing a full story on Sony and MS of what's been going on fro the last 2 years and with all the data points filled in nicely, I just find that unlikely and that has not been my experience.
The amount he wrote there if all true, DF could have at least five 20 minute videos on. I mean they spent 20 minutes on a official press release.
Yeah, I suspect any of these guys are making stuff up, I don't doubt that...but at this stage I'd be surprised if the full truth isn't out there.

So what? Honestly, who cares?
It's just that we already understand this point...it's adding noise, we all know github inside out, if we thought it was 100% true as to what PS5 is then we wouldn't post the other 'insider leaks'

Sure, let's redefine what "mid-gen refresh" means.
haha true.
Although now sony and MS have muddied the waters, If I was gonna buy a console at launch (which I wont) I'ld be thinking, hmmm why buy at launch if I can play these games on my old console (*), instead wait a couple of years for the 'mid gen' refresh and then purchase that.
I betcha a lot of ppl are thinking about this, Has Sony or MS stated theres not going to be a midgen upgrade console this time?

(*)esp since MS say none of their games will run only on the new xbosx for the next couple of years, so having it is not necessary I dont know if sony also said this?

Sure, let's redefine what "mid-gen refresh" means.

I think you're just picking on words. Clearly he means a 2 tier launch with 2 different powerful machines - both released at launch because they don't want to release a mid-gen console.

Just because he says 'mid-gen refresh at launch' does not make his information incorrect, not that I believe it (although as pointed out there was some noise around 2 skews for both prior to this.

The main problem for me is that this gen the minimum increase was 2.5x (PS4 to Pro) and I can't see how it's possible to have such a gap unless the cheaper skew is gimped badly (something like Lockheart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back