Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they don't disclose technology that the partner (or themselves) didn't want disclosed yet. "based on RDNA" or "next gen RDNA" was the most they could say until RDNA 2 was officially unveiled.

Anything custom cannot be disclosed by AMD first, so it's a reasonable angle to argue it might not be amd's implementation, but it could also be just a slightly modified version of amd's implementation.
AMD has been very clear that they don't say anything about their semi-custom customers chip before the customer has disclosed it itself, custom or pure stock AMD design.

Why would a Sony employee deflate a key next-generation checkbox feature that his employer (Sony) will obviously be pushing, on selling units?

Why not? An engineer has surely another perspective than the public perception of something which hasn't even been really specified yet. AFAIK There hasn't been any significant messaging by Sony about RT either in relation to the PS5. Their focus was on SSD/Fast loading as far as I know and compatibility.

AFAIK There hasn't been any significant messaging by Sony about RT either in relation to the PS5.
ps5-features.original.jpg

Why not? An engineer has surely another perspective than the public perception of something which hasn't even been really specified yet. AFAIK There hasn't been any significant messaging by Sony about RT either in relation to the PS5. Their focus was on SSD/Fast loading as far as I know and compatibility.

How can he deflate something he never work on. He is not rendering engineer but he was working on OS side of PS5. He probably only repeat what he was told by rendering engineer at Sony.

How can he deflate something he never work on. He is not rendering engineer but he was working on OS side of PS5. He probably only repeat what he was told by rendering engineer at Sony.

I didn't know that until I read it afterwards here.

So let's put this into the "twitter fluff people post and we better ignore" box.

I didn't know that until I read it afterwards here.

So let's put this into the "twitter fluff people post and we better ignore" box.

I doubt the people he talked about in Sony headquarter doesn't know about what they were talking. The question are precise like about transparency which is something with performance problem on raytracing and DXR and about a VRS tier 2 functionality. I don't think he invented this things in his head, too precise and probably from someone who told him some very precise things concerning raytracing performance and limitation and VRS.

Last edited:

That is a picture not an official statement, hell it's not even got an AMD logo or anything indicating it came from an official slide deck.
I'll continue to consider the 8 core CCX a rumor until you or anyone can provide solid evidence.
As far as i know, AMD haven't made any official statements regarding zen3 other than to say it's under development, what process node it will be on,
and when we are likely to expect it.

That is a picture not an official statement, hell it's not even got an AMD logo or anything indicating it came from an official slide deck.
I'll continue to consider the 8 core CCX a rumor until you or anyone can provide solid evidence.
As far as i know, AMD haven't made any official statements regarding zen3 other than to say it's under development, what process node it will be on,
and when we are likely to expect it.
The slide is from an AMD presentation:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...noa-architecture-microarchitecture,40561.html

Btw, does the shared cache automatically mean 8-core CCX or are the other factors that make up the cluster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back