Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Pretty much everyone assumed 12 TFs from the 'twice XB1X' quote, plus RDNA flops and not GCN flops because, as explained at the time, talking flops in terms of previous architectures makes zero sense and is something never done before. I guess it's nice to have confirmation of the interpretations explained before (like 'what does custom next-gen Nvavi/RDNA mean?'), but there are no surprises here since the official reveal and subsequent public talks.

Its nice to have it explained so the discussion about GCN vs navi doesnt come up as often ;)

Pretty much everyone assumed 12 TFs from the 'twice XB1X' quote, plus RDNA flops and not GCN flops because, as explained at the time, talking flops in terms of previous architectures makes zero sense and is something never done before. I guess it's nice to have confirmation of the interpretations explained before (like 'what does custom next-gen Nvavi/RDNA mean?'), but there are no surprises here since the official reveal and subsequent public talks.
IIRC the original E3 broadcast:
We are leveraging the latest Zen 2 and Navi technology from our partners at AMD.

It was never known as to which version we'd get. I think most people assumed RDNA 1 since Navi was named. I'm not sure if RDNA 2 would be necessarily called Navi 2.

Nice to see that CDPR hasn't changed their philosophy when it comes to thinking of gamers first and foremost when it comes to their decision making.

Just like The Witcher and The Witcher 2 offered technologically more advanced versions (rewritten rendering engines, effects, etc.) of those games for free to existing users, they are going to do that with Cyberpunk 2077 as well (well at least on XBSX, but hopefully PS5 as well).

But it's still nice to see confirmation that they have no intention or desire to try to double fist dip their customers unlike some publishers/developers out there.

Regards,
SB

Nice to see that CDPR hasn't changed their philosophy when it comes to thinking of gamers first and foremost when it comes to their decision making.

Just like The Witcher and The Witcher 2 offered technologically more advanced versions (rewritten rendering engines, effects, etc.) of those games for free to existing users, they are going to do that with Cyberpunk 2077 as well (well at least on XBSX, but hopefully PS5 as well).

But it's still nice to see confirmation that they have no intention or desire to try to double fist dip their customers unlike some publishers/developers out there.

Regards,
SB

So there are no seperate X Series Gamedisc , only original Xbox one Disc as a Key to download the X Series Content? Really? Such a Consumer unfriendly procedere is a good idea?? NO THANKS Microsoft , not with me.

I want play Games in a Plug and Play Manner , buying a Disc and playing Games without downloading huge 100 Gbyte Data for the the new Console. So if i must spend everyday a lot Time for downloading X Series Content before i can Play , there is something wrong here. My Internetspeed in our Street is not really fast and not constant 8-30 Mbit , i will not spend so much Time only for Downloading Content , just because Microsoft and the game manufacturers refuse to press separate discs for the new console and pass the costs on to the end customer. Cost are for me:

long waiting times for downloading the content.

Electricity costs for such long download times.

The cost of a new internet connection for 100-400 Mbit, which I don't get in our street, here is only a maximum of 50 Mbit possible.

I have a hard Work and want to enjoy to play Games at home and not waiting for Something.

I really dont understand why Microsoft put so much energy to support a 7 years old and dead Plattform, and holding back the new Hardware forcing the people to play old Games.

Last edited:
So there are no seperate X Series Gamedisc, only original Xbox one Disc as a Key to download the X Series Content? Really?

Where did they say that?

Obviously, CDPR can't announce shipping formats for an unreleased console. What they can do is say that if you buy their game on XO, you won't have to buy it again on SX.

This does not in itself rule out any possible (or impossible) physical or digital distribution medium we can think of. As such, there may very well be a "seperate X Series Gamedisc" available. We just don't know at this point.

So there are no seperate X Series Gamedisc , only original Xbox one Disc as a Key to download the X Series Content? Really? Such a Consumer unfriendly procedere is a good idea?? NO THANKS Microsoft , not with me.
Intelegent delivery or whatever it was called addressed many of these concerns.
This is just an extention of it to say that next gen will be covered by it.
Intelegent delivery also covered multiple discs, so even if its not a hybrid disc and everything can't fit on a single disc they can use multiple discs. Example disc 1 XO base game, disk 2 1X and XSX assets.
The issue this gen was that publishers are the ones who chose not to do it and go the download route, which is also part of intelegent delivery.

Even if publishers sold it separately there's no guarantee that they wouldn't demand a huge download if it meant using cheaper lower density discs.

I want play Games in a Plug and Play Manner , buying a Disc and playing Games without downloading huge 100 Gbyte Data for the the new Console. So if i must spend everyday a lot Time for downloading X Series Content before i can Play , there is something wrong here. My Internetspeed in our Street is not really fast and not constant 8-30 Mbit , i will not spend so much Time only for Downloading Content , just because Microsoft and the game manufacturers refuse to press separate discs for the new console and pass the costs on to the end customer. Cost are for me:

The cost of a new internet connection for 100-400 Mbit, which I don't get in our street, here is only a maximum of 50 Mbit possible.

I have a hard Work and want to enjoy to play Games at home and not waiting for Something.

I really dont understand why Microsoft put so much energy to support a 7 years old and dead Plattform, and holding back the new Hardware forcing the people to play old Games.
First off, I would let an American Football punter kick me square in the pills for 50 Mbit internet. Also, I think you might be missing the point of what CDPR are saying here. There isn't going to be a Series X version of the game. Just an Xbox One version, that will have an "Enhanced Edition" update for free that adds features and graphics for Series X owners. Free updates aren't anti-consumer, and given CDPR's history, there will likely be a later physical release with the enhanced content on it.

First off, I would let an American Football punter kick me square in the pills for 50 Mbit internet. Also, I think you might be missing the point of what CDPR are saying here. There isn't going to be a Series X version of the game. Just an Xbox One version, that will have an "Enhanced Edition" update for free that adds features and graphics for Series X owners. Free updates aren't anti-consumer, and given CDPR's history, there will likely be a later physical release with the enhanced content on it.

Well, it doesn't say there won't be an XBSX specific disk or a version that has both the XBO and XBSX installs for Cyberpunk 2077. All they are saying is that if you buy the XBO version of the game, you can get the XBSX version for free. Likewise, I'm assuming that would go the other way as well. If you buy the XBSX version of the game, you can play the XBO version on an XBO if you wanted.

Either way it's great for consumers.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't say there won't be an XBSX specific disk or a version that has both the XBO and XBSX installs for Cyberpunk 2077.
Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Maybe shove the high res texture pack onto the deeper layers?

All they are saying is that if you buy the XBO version of the game, you can get the XBSX version for free.

As it should be, like free texture packs on Steam/PC, and that super duper expensive .ini file!

Major Nelson had on Jason Reyonolds who is the "Director of PM" at Xbox to talk about the news from the other day: https://majornelson.com/podcast/647-what-you-can-expect-from-the-next-generation-of-gaming/

I clicked through it quickly and it was mostly a recap but 2 little things caught my attention:
A mention of ray traced audio, which i can't remember if they talked about before on the Xbox(?).

Also really seemed to hype up the backwards compatability team coming up with "brand new techniques" that are "pushing the boundaries".

Last edited:
Major Nelson had on Jason Reyonolds who is the "Director of PM" at Xbox to talk about the news from the other day: https://majornelson.com/podcast/647-what-you-can-expect-from-the-next-generation-of-gaming/

I clicked through it quickly and it was mostly a recap but 2 little things caught my attention:
A mention of ray traced audio, which i can't remember if they talked about before on the Xbox(?).

Also really seemed to hype up the backwards compatability team coming up with "brand new techniques" that are "pushing the boundaries".

I listened to it. One thing that stood out is that apparently quick resume will survive a system reboot.

Idgi. I'd assume instant resume involves coping ram to the ssd on shut down. If it crashed then how'd it manage that one?

One of the game states might have been trashed, but the others could have survived. Or the game in question was in a suspended state when the crash occurred already.

Intelegent delivery or whatever it was called addressed many of these concerns.
This is just an extention of it to say that next gen will be covered by it.
Intelegent delivery also covered multiple discs, so even if its not a hybrid disc and everything can't fit on a single disc they can use multiple discs. Example disc 1 XO base game, disk 2 1X and XSX assets.
The issue this gen was that publishers are the ones who chose not to do it and go the download route, which is also part of intelegent delivery.

Even if publishers sold it separately there's no guarantee that they wouldn't demand a huge download if it meant using cheaper lower density discs.

Don't expect anything different from next gen, downloads are just plain cheaper and easier for developers, publishers, and even MS itself. I'm surprised they're not trying to bring back download only.

Given that’s it common for games to huge day 1 patches, I’m not sure if that’s a viable complaint.

Do you buy games everyday? Or delete your most played games on a daily basis? If not, why would you be downloading everyday waiting to play?

MS wouldn’t care if the Xbox one platform was dead. It would only be a reality where Xbox one owners were still a significant buyers of games.

Nevermind that the strategy for Cyberpunk is not evidence of that reality.

The OX already plays 4k games, it’s not like one day huge downloads have been a complaint from X owners.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Maybe shove the high res texture pack onto the deeper layers?

I don't think it's possible to ship a hybrid BDXL disc with four or six layers and have the standard dual-layer drives in existing Xbox Ones work by just reading the top two layers. The Xbox One consoles that includeBlu-ray 4K support should be fine though but what portion of the Xbox One console base that is I don't know.

I feel that hybrid media formats have always packed more problems than they solve, I remember they were a rare thing on Commodore 64/Atari 5.25" disks and Amiga/Atari ST 3.5" discs and everything after.

Back