Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
After consulting with experts on RT and VRS culture, the principle engineer was questioning if RT and VRS on RDNA2 is that in practice and not in name. All that he said was fundamental characteristics of RT and VRS.

After consulting with experts on RT and VRS culture, the principle engineer was questioning if RT and VRS on RDNA2 is that in practice and not in name. All that he said was fundamental characteristics of RT and VRS.

No when he has a question about transparency it is very precise because transparency does not work well with RTX/DXR. This is coming from a presentation at GDC about Unreal Engine and raytracing.

tvto1jz.jpg

No when he has a question about transparency it is very precise because transparency does not work well with RTX/DXR. This is coming from a presentation at GDC about Unreal Engine and raytracing.

tvto1jz.jpg

Nice catch. So I would take it that this was solved on PS5.

Nice catch. So I would take it that this was solved on PS5.

"Solved." Transparency will always cost more, because if you hit a transparent surface with a ray, you have to cast another ray to continue until you hit another transparency and repeat until you hit something opaque. I imagine there are optimizations there, but there is going to be blending of multiple hits from multiple materials, each of which can be affected by indirect light, reflection and so on and so on.

He was principal engineer on PS5 until last month. I don't know what he means exactly but I am not sure so sure they use the same RT or VRS implementation than Microsoft.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthargett/

hmmm... could this really mean he implies PS5 has RT power 4 x 2080Ti ?
Well, i speculated myself Sony could have more RT power for the (speculated) lesser TF, but this sounds a bit like bragging.
It's almost like saying RTX mobile beats next gen, hihi :)

But 'At what distance from the frustum'... gives me hope they care about LOD. Give me just that and i'm happy.

Still unsure about custom HW. All the differences could be on API side but still enough to poke each other. E.g. 'patented VRS' really sounds constructed for marketing to me.

Zen 3 is a new architecture, Zen 2 was evolution of Zen (with some parts left on cutting board included this time)
How different it will be remains to be seen, but currently we know that at least the old CCX gets thrown out, as with Zen 3 8 cores will share same 32MB or bigger L3.

Sorry, do you have a source or link for this info?
I understand that it is strongly rumored that AMD will change the CCX configuration, but there is no 100% official information saying so?

Intel was not clear about it. There were some words about upcoming RT GPU support, but could be they mean their existing frameworks like Embree and offline / HPC application.
There is no official confirmation they will support RT / DXR on their upcoming discrete consumer GPUs, AFAIK.
Past performance is no guarantee of future trends, but Intel's later GPUs tended to have some of the broadest DX feature level compliance when they were introduced.
That could change, if there were further disruptions in development or RT somehow required more pervasive changes. Something like VRS seems like it fits in the area of the more fixed-function domain that Intel was generally willing to evolve and expand upon in the past.

The word "custom" in the tweet might be referring to the chip in general.

In the press release this is how they word it:

"Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures."
The current gen put custom format support and internal tweaks to the GPU. Backwards compatibility at the current level would encourage porting those tweaks into the next gen at least.

Most claimed rdna1.5 for both consoles, turns out its 2 for xsx, most likely ps5 also.
I think people were fixating on the visible results at the end of the pipeline, rather than viewing these projects part of an ongoing process that allows for internal changes long after the initial products are finalized.
The current gen wasn't constrained to match Tahiti, and since it was in development around the same time as Bonaire and Hawaii, there was continued evolution within that lineage rather than GCN1. Tahiti had to be locked down far earlier than the Sea Islands and the consoles needed to be.
It seems reasonable now that we're getting rumors of an RDNA2 discrete in 2020 that the consoles in 2020 would have a good change of sharing IP with a product coming out in roughly the same time frame rather than the prior one.

If RDNA2 is a change in the architecture, it might also provide a more bug-fixed foundation for the consoles. Perpetuating some of the GFX10 bug flags for 6 more years seems iffy to me.

Eh... it's just a label. Could be as straightforward as adding RT & VRS aside from any fab-related maturation.

GCN over the years had various labels.

GCN1.0 = Tahiti/Pitcairn/Cape Verde
"GCN1.1" = GCN2 = Bonaire/Hawaii, TrueAudio DSP, scaling up block units (SEs/ACEs)
"GCN1.2" = GCN3 = Tonga, delta compression, ISA changes
GCN4 = Polaris = 14nm, various updates
GCN5 = Vega = 14/7nm, various updates, HBCC, packed math

Nevermind the internal gfxip numbering.
The other GCN labels coincided with ISA changes, as such, I don't think AMD separated Polaris from Tonga/Fiji.

Just to hold everyones horses, new architecture doesn't necessarily mean there's big changes. For example Bobcat and Jaguar & Puma are clearly similar, but AMD considers the latter two to be different architecture from the first (Family 14h vs 16h) ((also Hygon Dhyana is counted as separate architecture even when it's actually Zen with minimal differenes, Family 17h vs 18h, but this could be just to separate it from AMD's own products))
Bobcat to Jaguar included a change in the pipeline length, units, cache hierarchy, and ISA support. Puma was more of a port that didn't change those factors.
The Hygon product might be considered different if there are some elements that were removed for export or were removed/replaced for the purposes of compliance with the client nation's policies. For example, the on-die security setup and management hardware designed in a US-controlled setting may not be desirable to the Chinese market.

He was principal engineer on PS5 until last month. I don't know what he means exactly but I am not sure so sure they use the same RT or VRS implementation than Microsoft.
Perhaps there's a hint of that. Though it seems like a more neutral questioning of the practical impact of PR using technical buzzwords without covering real-world applications and challenges.

more precise maybe and some criticism about DXR it seems
I think this trying to be more neutral without tipping anyone's hand. I think the statement means that meeting an API's requirements is not the same as operating the same below the level of the abstraction, and that the current API is not the last word on the topic as these standards are part of an ongoing development process.

I got that feeling as well, especially from his earlier tweet. Sounds to me, Matt was hinting in roundabout manner, that PS5 RT solution might not have these potential issues.

I read this just as someone asking about the practical implications of things. I would not at all read anything into it about "ps5".

4K 60 means nothing, for example, as even an RTX 2060 could do 4K 60 with RT on since the sentence has no qualifiers for anything. "what content? What type of rays? How many rays? What type of scene complexity"?

Just reads like rhetorical questions, for the sake of, rhetorical questions.

I read this just as someone asking about the practical implications of things.
Yeah, makes sense. Could be he is working on other things, does not know details about PS5 RT, is just asking and no poking / bragging intended.
I also see now how one could read it as a hint for custom Sony RT, or Sony not using RDNA2 but showing curiosity about MS doing so.
I'm left in confusion and uncertainty, which probably wasn't his goal either :)

I read this just as someone asking about the practical implications of things. I would not at all read anything into it about "ps5".

If PS5 GPU was RDNA 2 based, why would a Sony PS5 software engineer be asking "rhetorical questions" about possible RT related issues right after Xbox announcement of having RDNA 2 based GPU? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why would he ask very specific questions about RT related methods relating to RDNA 2, if PS5 has such features? Either Sony engineers have no clue how to resolve these specific issues, or PS5 GPU isn't RDNA 2, but something else.

Also, in some of his following replies he hinted towards why he was asking such questions.

Last edited:
I read this just as someone asking about the practical implications of things.
If you aren't told the guy is a Sony software engineer, it definitely reads like general curiosity. If you are told the guy is a Sony software engineer, it takes on a whole load more meaning. If Sony are using RDNA 2 RTRT, he should presumably know the answer to these things as 'principle software engineer' working on stuff that needs to know about RTRT. Hence no need to ask. And if PS5 is not using RDNA 2, then the purpose of these questions is what? They aren't particularly technical.

If you aren't told the guy is a Sony software engineer, it definitely reads like general curiosity. If you are told the guy is a Sony software engineer, it takes on a whole load more meaning. If Sony are using RDNA 2 RTRT, he should presumably know the answer to these things as 'principle software engineer' working on stuff that needs to know about RTRT. Hence no need to ask. And if PS5 is not using RDNA 2, then the purpose of these questions is what? They aren't particularly technical.

Exactly.

If PS5 GPU was RDNA 2 based, why would a Sony PS5 software engineer be asking "rhetorical questions" about possible RT related issues right after Xbox announcement of having RDNA 2 based GPU? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why would he ask very specific questions about RT related methods relating to RDNA 2, if PS5 has such features? Either Sony engineers have no clue how to resolve these specific issues, or PS5 GPU isn't RDNA 2, but something else.

Also, in some of his following replies he hinted towards why he was asking such questions.

Even if Sony is using RDNA2 the software (API) implementation can be different enough to warrant these kinds of questions, especially since isn't MS using bog standard DX12, which isn't crafted to exact RDNA specs, on Xbox now?

Well, the guy could be doubting the general purpose of RT at the moment for gaming and asked if they solved the issues in a slightly rhetorical fashion to counteract the RT hype:) That's how I interpret it at the moment.

Even if Sony is using RDNA2 the software (API) implementation can be different enough to warrant these kinds of questions, especially since isn't MS using bog standard DX12, which isn't crafted to exact RDNA specs, on Xbox now?

You have internal teams and discussions on such matters, not a "we cant figure this shit out" tweet. This isn't some random Sony employee sweeping floors, but a 'principle software engineer' working on PS5. Even if these questions were relevant to such API differences, I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want their internal teams talking about such matters at this stage.

Well, the guy could be doubting the general purpose of RT at the moment for gaming and asked if they solved the issues in a slightly rhetorical fashion to counteract the RT hype:) That's how I interpret it at the moment.

Why would a Sony employee deflate a key next-generation checkbox feature that his employer (Sony) will obviously be pushing, on selling units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back