Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xist.jpg

Have to say I haven't seen an eXisenZ reference in a long time.

In this case, if you want it to be 13TF, or higher, you will find answers to that, that will fit your narrative. There's magnitude of 'insiders' and even officials who claim PS5 will be around 9TF, but those aren't 'seen' because those you want to refuse to believe.

It just seems you assume the wishful thinking / optimistic people to be the majority, which is your own subjective perception.
And worse, you seem to assume those people are somewhat dumb, which is subjective as well.
Now i could turn this against you, by claiming it is you that refuses to 'see' the other group is just as large, and you're motivated by the thought: 'a dumb majority makes myself smarter'.

...but we all make this mistake here and there ;)

c5c8b40f669b2aa9fbcc9ade966111c0.jpg

It just seems you assume the wishful thinking / optimistic people to be the majority, which is your own subjective perception.
And worse, you seem to assume those people are somewhat dumb, which is subjective as well.
Now i could turn this against you, by claiming it is you that refuses to 'see' the other group is just as large, and you're motivated by the thought: 'a dumb majority makes myself smarter'.

...but we all make this mistake here and there ;)

c5c8b40f669b2aa9fbcc9ade966111c0.jpg

Not what i ment, its the other way around too. What i mean is that theres as many that think its below 12 as there is that think it will be 12 or above. Its easier to accept what you want to see, no matter which way.
I dont think anyone is dumb for believing either.

At this point those who still think it's going to be 8 vs 12 are living in a delusion. AFAIK the only true devs & journalists insiders that have made a clear statement have said both machines currently have very similar target specs and min nvidia 2080 performance.

I also dont understand why here people praising the 8 vs 12 TFlops rumors . But i think its pretty simple. They want the ps5 to be 8 Tflops so that ms can have the most powerful console. It's fanboyism distilled to its purest form. It's not enough that i succeed, everyone else has to fail.

Its also why they are all so excited about the 4 tflops Lockhart despite it potentially holding back their 12 tflops Monster. This way they will have the cheapest AND most powerful console.

When you are on a hardcore forum actively participating in an even more hardcore spec thread and are hoping for a last gen 4 tflops console to win a console sales war, you clearly aren't a hardcore gamer who cares about tech. You are just a fanboy.

12tf vs 9.2tf is 4k vs 1800p.

You won't see the difference in real world gaming conditions.

Complete disagree , Flops Number /Power does not only has an influence on Resolution, its about Polygoncount, Number of Effects, and other things etc.
And and 3-4 Tflops between PS5 and X Series is a huge noticeable Gap.
So you have no clue about tech.

Complete disagree , Flops Number /Power does not only has an influence on Resolution, its about Polygoncount, Number of Effects, and other things etc.
And and 3-4 Tflops between PS5 and X Series is a huge noticeable Gap.
So you have no clue about tech.
It's roughly the same % gap as ps4 and xbox one. I don't think most would describe the difference in output as huge.

It's roughly the same % gap as ps4 and xbox one. I don't think most would describe the difference in output as huge.

It's not a tiny bit of a difference. They're not equal.

The difference in output actually became huge as the years went on. With the XBone losing in userbase and software sales, and mainly after both mid-gens released, developers eventually stopped writing handmade optimizations for the 32MB scratchpad.
The end result is a bunch of games where you end up comparing a 68GB/s XBone vs. a 174GB/s PS4, and the former gets half the resolution, half the framerate or even lower resolution at half the framerate.

This is obviously not the same case as a 33% difference in compute.
However, we now know there may come a time where developers just stop giving a shit for the lowest common denominator and they just want their game to appear the prettiest on youtube videos and image stills.

If Ps5 really is 9.2 TF then the best thing Soony can do now is hoping for a come back with the Pro like how 1X has redeemed itself. This time Soony should have no excuses, go big in power and not a half arsed console like Ps4 Pro. We get to see most of the true next gen games that fully utilize the hardware to the brink anyway around midgen so there's still hope. Also a blow to the power race from XSX might give them some incentives to try harder too.

About the odd 120fps and 240fps statement from Gran Turismo director, I think I may understand where it does come from:

“In terms of frames-per-second, rather than staying at 60fps, I’m more interested in raising it to 120fps or even 240fps,” he said. “I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward.”

I very much doubt he would have said 240fps without some reason. 120fps is most probably about the availability of 120hz TVs, so GTS could have a 120fps mode on those TVs (should be easy by taking the PS4 game and uncapping the fps, they could even make it native 4K), and PSVR2 which should probably have a 240hz screen as it's going to be possible using HDMI 2.1, like the way 120hz was possible using PS4 output:

PSVR1 -> 1080p @ 120hz.
PSVR2 -> 4K @ 240hz.

I'd say those specs are highly likely for PSVR2. Most games probably won't do native 240hz, some could do native 120hz with 240hz reprojection and the usual 60hz -> 120hz for the others most demanding games.

Ok, take it from me or not, i talked to someone that has supposedly seen the soc of PS5 and all, it won't be 12TF according to the leaker, so could be higher then that too :p It's a total baseless source, no value at all...
I don't understand your point. Why are you in this thread? It doesn't matter whether it's true or not - we're just discussing possibilities and interpretations.

It all depends, as you say. We can't know for sure untill we have factual data.
I'm not discussing what the performance of the next-gen consoles are - I'm discussing the interpretation of the different rumours and what they do or don't point to. It's like a jury with a dozen eye-witness testimonies, and trying to work out what happened when they disagree. There's no point saying, "we can't know what actually happened without video evidence," as we haven't got any, so we talk about the witnesses and whether some tally and whether a picture of events can be found or not.

Was there ever a performance comparison?
Yes! This is the exact quote I've been talking about for the past few pages:

Now for next gen? Well, the same thing keeps getting repeated over and over, that the SX isn’t as mature in dev kit but faster, the PS5 is more mature in dev kit but a tiny bit slower, and nothing matters because they are equal. That’s fine. That’s the best result. You WANT that. But some of you really are hurting at the fact SX may be that stupidly tiny little bit faster...? Hell I can’t say what I know, from my talks with my friends who have actual hardware in hand, all of different updates. All I will say is the above lines up. For now. At this moment. But I wouldn’t put anything out there, I’m not an idiot.
The discussion from this isn't "see, this proves PS5 is similar to XBSX" (it doesn't) or "how can we know he's legitimate" (we can't) but "what is this rumour saying that's the same as or different to other rumours?" And that discussion, without caring at all whether it's true or false, leads to this description of the closeness being more overt than previous rumours that could be interpreted in relative terms. This one can't.

Was he told actual numbers and is passing on the tiny bit of difference or is he interpreting what he was told as tiny bit of difference?
I consider that implausible. The phrasing suggests o'dium knows the specs and he references the previous narrative of both consoles being within spitting distance of each other's TFs. I suppose there's a possibility that some GAFfers post 12 v 12 specs, o'dium's friends working on 9 v 12 SDKs say, "they are close. You can't really notice the differences on screen", and o'dium decides that means the 12 v 12 situation is true and repeats a tiny difference in performance. That'd require never getting any specs from his friends - why would they talk in relative terms? If they're happy to talk about the machines, why wouldn't they go the whole hog as long as they trust o'dium not to go public with them?

I don't understand your point. Why are you in this thread? It doesn't matter whether it's true or not - we're just discussing possibilities and interpretations.

I did talk to someone that claimed to have seen the ps5 soc.

Yes! This is the exact quote I've been talking about for the past few pages:

Ah i thought you ment something else, but yes that about slower and faster i have seen ;)

If they're happy to talk about the machines, why wouldn't they go the whole hog as long as they trust o'dium not to go public with them?

A dev going public and share specs would be interesting. We might finally get to know more by then.

Sony went on record saying there was more to reveal:

In a juicy interview with Business Insider Japan (as translated by Gematsu), Ryan talks up the PS5 and what it's capable of without giving too much away. However, he also teases "unique elements" and "bigger differences" that Sony isn't ready to reveal yet. "There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced," says Ryan.

I hope it's something(s) actually good!
I hope one is a beefy cooling solution with whisssssper quiet operation:yes:

Last edited:
Definitely alot of weird takes in this thread.

9.2TF v 12TF is not necessary what people want, its what only legit leak, with hard numbers and real AMD testing data shows. Might not be the case in the end, perhaps wider context is required, but don't be surprised when people don't accept 123123th "leak" from guy allegedly working on GameStop counter as legit just because it tells you what you want to believe.

I do not believe in personal God and I don't know what happens after death, but my mother tells me all the time "Why don't you believe in it? At least it has happy ending". Happy ending and good feels is not enough for me to believe in something, while for some here its fundamental to taking rumor seriously.

Here's a question, if some people would regard 9 vs 12 as a tiny, weeny difference, what would they refer 11.8 vs 12.4 as? Mega ultra tiny weeeeeeny?

I hear they tried a gartner poll to decide but half the respondents failed to switch the TV to 4k and invalidated their response. The other half preferred whichever console gave them Renaldo in their Fifa ultimate team during play testing.

As to not be a total drive by, do we think with the power of next gen Microsoft will be able to make the Series X play 360 games direct from the production xex files without any code translation. I assume (dangerous) that if they can achieve that they bypass the need to republish and go through the contract hoops and huge sections of the catalogue could become available?

Definitely alot of weird takes in this thread.

9.2TF v 12TF is not necessary what people want, its what only legit leak, with hard numbers and real AMD testing data shows...
Another person who I don't understand why they're in this thread. This thread is for discussing unproven and unprovable theories.

As a mod, I don't know what to do about it. Repeating ad nauseum what this thread is about clearly isn't working. Thread banning people who can't get into the spirit of the discussion would only move their chatter elsewhere. Maybe it needs two threads - one for people who don't care about the outcome and one for those who just want to repeat what they think next-gen consoles will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back