Questions about NV30

Should Beyond3D allow its forum resource to be used for the benefit of competing websites?

• Total voters
Pascal's response seems to be the most reasoned and untainted of personal bitterness here. It's worth repeating:
Pascal said:
I see some strong emotions going on here.
The best thing to do now is calm down.

IMHO:
- B3D is one of the most unbiased site around.
- B3D staff are easy going and fair.
- B3D regulars are very smart
- Simple PR stuff will not help much B3D.
- B3D site/staff must have the priority to any question, but IF the B3D site is not interrested in the questions then it could be used by other sites with the credits and links (there is no IF in the pool).
- I hope that IHVs will understand more and more B3D way.

Reverend, I used to see your skills as a good complement to other staff skills. I hope you will do a great job at VE.
I suggest, before anyone else escalates this misunderstanding (one in a recently growing series in this forum, fanned in no small part by the recent influx of non-professionals), they hit preview instead of reply, and pause 15 minutes to read their reply before posting. Is it necessary to further excacerbate the situation? To further insult and belittle people over innocent and minor misunderstandings?

Rev, I appreciate why you asked the B3D crowd for questions. It should be obvious to any regular, and quite a few have articulated why in this thread: you simply won't get the insight of the many professionals and dedicated fans (not fanbois, those who substitute reason with emotion) on other forums. Now, I don't visit VE's fora at all, but judging from the funny but slightly immature (hell, I still loved it) humor Billy infused it with, I don't expect the same level of interest and technical understanding as here. So you were right in coming here. The problem started when you asked for Q's in private; and though you later explained why (nVidia's grudge), people who haven't followed you as long as some of us have may mistrust your requests. Obviously everyone here will read your interview anyway, and if someone sees one of their questions asked but uncredited, they'll let everyone know. You should understand some of the mistrust, though. If the site is having trouble covering its hosting costs, then you should be especially appreciative of the desire to keep B3D's community, the one thing that weathered the sites many transitions, exclusively for B3D's benefit. On the flip side, we should understand that pimping B3D on a site such as VE, which will undoubtedly garner more hits, has a definite positive side (witness the 17,000+ page views in a recent NV30 thread).

So, Rev, I hope the outbursts here don't turn you off as much as they did Ben; if you feel the need to step away, consider a temporary rather than permanent break. I think you're thicker-skinned than that, but consider this some support. The rest of us, let's not turn this into a turf war, and allow Dave and Marco and the gang to decide what's best for B3D.

To all: there's no need to criticize people; let's restrict the criticism to ideas.

(BTW, not to restart old fires, but what's this GaryT-NVNews thing? :) )

Pascal's response seems to be the most reasoned and untainted of personal bitterness here. It's worth repeating:
Pascal said:

IMHO:
- B3D site/staff must have the priority to any question, but IF the B3D site is not interrested in the questions then it could be used by other sites with the credits and links (there is no IF in the pool).

Reverend, I used to see your skills as a good complement to other staff skills. I hope you will do a great job at VE.
I suggest, before anyone else escalates this misunderstanding (one in a recently growing series in this forum, fanned in no small part by the recent influx of non-professionals), they hit preview instead of reply, and pause 15 minutes to read their reply before posting. Is it necessary to further excacerbate the situation? To further insult and belittle people over innocent and minor misunderstandings?

Rev, I appreciate why you asked the B3D crowd for questions. It should be obvious to any regular, and quite a few have articulated why in this thread: you simply won't get the insight of the many professionals and dedicated fans (not fanbois, those who substitute reason with emotion) on other forums. Now, I don't visit VE's fora at all, but judging from the funny but slightly immature (hell, I still loved it) humor Billy infused it with, I don't expect the same level of interest and technical understanding as here. So you were right in coming here. The problem started when you asked for Q's in private; and though you later explained why (nVidia's grudge), people who haven't followed you as long as some of us have may mistrust your requests. Obviously everyone here will read your interview anyway, and if someone sees one of their questions asked but uncredited, they'll let everyone know. You should understand some of the mistrust, though. If the site is having trouble covering its hosting costs, then you should be especially appreciative of the desire to keep B3D's community, the one thing that weathered the sites many transitions, exclusively for B3D's benefit. On the flip side, we should understand that pimping B3D on a site such as VE, which will undoubtedly garner more hits, has a definite positive side (witness the 17,000+ page views in a recent NV30 thread).

So, Rev, I hope the outbursts here don't turn you off as much as they did Ben; if you feel the need to step away, consider a temporary rather than permanent break. I think you're thicker-skinned than that, but consider this some support. The rest of us, let's not turn this into a turf war, and allow Dave and Marco and the gang to decide what's best for B3D.

To all: there's no need to criticize people; let's restrict the criticism to ideas.

Pascal said:

IMHO:

Pascal said:

IMHO:

Pascal said:

IMHO:

IMHO:

Pascal said:

IMHO:

Pascal said:

IMHO:

I have deleted most of my postings in this thread. Those that have read my posts know my story, those that have not don't need to know.

Dave, "slander" can only work if claims are false. I have my emails to back me up.

Kristof, note that I am NOT saying you should leave Beyond3D. It all depends on what Wavey/B3D wants, given the current "restrictions" pertaining to your employ at PowerVR. If not being amongst the first to get next-gen reference boards, or even getting them at all, and depending on board vendors for such boards, is the case, no problem then. You should know how huge it can be, however, if B3D is viewed in the likes of the other famous sites.

ChrisK, yes, I was specifically told by NVIDIA that because Kristof works for a competitor, they are hesitant. His words were "Do you know if Kristof and Wavey ICQs each other for two hours everyday? Do you know what they talk about? You don't, I don't as well. They can say Kristof won't influence anything but, really, what assurances do I have? I think Kristof is a stand up guy but, really, are you *really* sure of anything?". IMO, this guy is really good at his job.

MikeC, my apologies... heat of the moment thing.

Wavey, someone I know said the following some time back wrt my enquiring what it would take for B3D to be like the other "famous" sites :

==============
What is MY reason for giving it to B3D:

Is it because we have history, I trust you, know you are fair an objective
and knowledgeable, and this is our big chance to win over your
X-company-bashing readers?

Do you have the most readers?

Do you have the best testing criteria?

Do you "get it" where our story is concerned?

Will you write a flattering article?

Do you have an R300 you want to go head to head against?

Do we make the best shit ever and you would pee your pants if only you can
get your hands on an <insert next-gen hardware>?

Will you send me a case of beer and a hooker?

Is it because you take potshots at our "fan sites" ; )

Do you want to use it to rip X-company and create big hits for your site by
having the only bad review of <insert next-gen hardware from X-company> out there? And besides, "I like hardware, have a website so it is my birthright to get one!"

Are you writing for an established gaming site with a ton of avid gamers
that need kick ass video cards and will use it to generate excitement for
your new and long overdue hardware section?

You got to give me a reason!
==============

That's a valid view IMO.

My apologies to everyone who thinks I insulted them with my (now deleted) posts. I was really angry at the first two replies in this thread, especially Kristof's first post and especially his subsequent removal of my email address. He obviously does not know how dear I hold B3D to my heart, even if I don't belong to the site anymore. While being its webmaster, I did everything for the site as much as I could do, it almost destroyed my marriage, got me kicked out of the house, had my finances locked out by the wife, had no money, could not reimburse the site the money I received from ads coz I had no money since I got kicked out of the house.

I would plug B3D at VE everytime I think it deserves a plug. Having had some sleep, I now know how inappropriate some of the things I posted were. I still hold true to what I posted but I know this should not be public.

Mods, please lock this thread. No more replies/defending from me. If anyone has issues with me, PM me, don't post this here and continue this aggravation. In the end, I guess I am simply disappointed by those who I thought knew me well.

I have deleted most of my postings in this thread. Those that have read my posts know my story, those that have not don't need to know.

Dave, "slander" can only work if claims are false. I have my emails to back me up.

Kristof, note that I am NOT saying you should leave Beyond3D. It all depends on what Wavey/B3D wants, given the current "restrictions" pertaining to your employ at PowerVR. If not being amongst the first to get next-gen reference boards, or even getting them at all, and depending on board vendors for such boards, is the case, no problem then. You should know how huge it can be, however, if B3D is viewed in the likes of the other famous sites.

ChrisK, yes, I was specifically told by NVIDIA that because Kristof works for a competitor, they are hesitant. His words were "Do you know if Kristof and Wavey ICQs each other for two hours everyday? Do you know what they talk about? You don't, I don't as well. They can say Kristof won't influence anything but, really, what assurances do I have? I think Kristof is a stand up guy but, really, are you *really* sure of anything?". IMO, this guy is really good at his job.

MikeC, my apologies... heat of the moment thing.

Wavey, someone I know said the following some time back wrt my enquiring what it would take for B3D to be like the other "famous" sites :

==============
What is MY reason for giving it to B3D:

Is it because we have history, I trust you, know you are fair an objective
and knowledgeable, and this is our big chance to win over your
X-company-bashing readers?

Do you have the most readers?

Do you have the best testing criteria?

Do you "get it" where our story is concerned?

Will you write a flattering article?

Do you have an R300 you want to go head to head against?

Do we make the best shit ever and you would pee your pants if only you can
get your hands on an <insert next-gen hardware>?

Will you send me a case of beer and a hooker?

Is it because you take potshots at our "fan sites" ; )

Do you want to use it to rip X-company and create big hits for your site by
having the only bad review of <insert next-gen hardware from X-company> out there? And besides, "I like hardware, have a website so it is my birthright to get one!"

Are you writing for an established gaming site with a ton of avid gamers
that need kick ass video cards and will use it to generate excitement for
your new and long overdue hardware section?

You got to give me a reason!
==============

That's a valid view IMO.

My apologies to everyone who thinks I insulted them with my (now deleted) posts. I was really angry at the first two replies in this thread, especially Kristof's first post and especially his subsequent removal of my email address. He obviously does not know how dear I hold B3D to my heart, even if I don't belong to the site anymore. While being its webmaster, I did everything for the site as much as I could do, it almost destroyed my marriage, got me kicked out of the house, had my finances locked out by the wife, had no money, could not reimburse the site the money I received from ads coz I had no money since I got kicked out of the house.

I would plug B3D at VE everytime I think it deserves a plug. Having had some sleep, I now know how inappropriate some of the things I posted were. I still hold true to what I posted but I know this should not be public.

Mods, please lock this thread. No more replies/defending from me. If anyone has issues with me, PM me, don't post this here and continue this aggravation. In the end, I guess I am simply disappointed by those who I thought knew me well.

With all due respect to everyone at this site. This points out the very reason why I have personal issues with Nvidia. Everyone on the internet can see that B3D puts out the most technical most ballaced most Non-ra ra ra previews, reviews, and articles on the internet.

Nvidia is all about Manipulation and nothing else. I was really disturbed recently by some of the posts made. Where B3D was told No review boards becuase your message board is to *negative* towards Nvidia. It is Precicley this type of attitude that makes people negative. Now this.

Why should this affect anything??? ATi sends Review parts. Beyond3d has a Reputation that is Beyond reproach. It is insulting to me personally that a statement like this is even made. It shows just how manipulative they are. There is NO history in ANY of their product reviews that display anything but integrity for 3D technology, and an Honesty towards all competitors products.

With the Vaste emptyness that make up the majority of Hardware Sites, Reviewers with No grasp of the tech, Posting nothing but 3dmark and Q3 scores.... It is Patently Unthinkable that Nvidia Could protest ANY site. What Assurance do they need??? Does Beyon3D have such influence that one negative review would impact anything if it did go that route? They could easily see issues with the review, make a public rebuttle and never alllow a review board again. However even the *hint* of this kind of impropriety on B3D's part makes my Stomach turn. It just would not happen., and we all know it, as do they. This is about control, and manipulation. What else could it be? Are they afraid of backlash becuase of their Totally unethical and misleading Kyro document?? Does this not burn your blood to boil? That they make common place these kinds of practices yet would insinuate impropriety on B3d's part?? AS if from some kind of High Ground???

Yes, I am just one voice. I know well that many of you consider me a Fan-Atic, Or Just simply Anti nvidia. But NO Hardware vendor is worth this kind of Treatment, This kind of power grab, This kind of Manipulation.. Not ATi, Not PowerVR, not S3 or Matrox, And no.. Not Nvidia either. Let them keep their Hardware. There is plenty of other Companies out there. With very good Tech even Trident and S3 are making a comeback.

That is all.

With all due respect to everyone at this site. This points out the very reason why I have personal issues with Nvidia. Everyone on the internet can see that B3D puts out the most technical most ballaced most Non-ra ra ra previews, reviews, and articles on the internet.

Nvidia is all about Manipulation and nothing else. I was really disturbed recently by some of the posts made. Where B3D was told No review boards becuase your message board is to *negative* towards Nvidia. It is Precicley this type of attitude that makes people negative. Now this.

Why should this affect anything??? ATi sends Review parts. Beyond3d has a Reputation that is Beyond reproach. It is insulting to me personally that a statement like this is even made. It shows just how manipulative they are. There is NO history in ANY of their product reviews that display anything but integrity for 3D technology, and an Honesty towards all competitors products.

With the Vaste emptyness that make up the majority of Hardware Sites, Reviewers with No grasp of the tech, Posting nothing but 3dmark and Q3 scores.... It is Patently Unthinkable that Nvidia Could protest ANY site. What Assurance do they need??? Does Beyon3D have such influence that one negative review would impact anything if it did go that route? They could easily see issues with the review, make a public rebuttle and never alllow a review board again. However even the *hint* of this kind of impropriety on B3D's part makes my Stomach turn. It just would not happen., and we all know it, as do they. This is about control, and manipulation. What else could it be? Are they afraid of backlash becuase of their Totally unethical and misleading Kyro document?? Does this not burn your blood to boil? That they make common place these kinds of practices yet would insinuate impropriety on B3d's part?? AS if from some kind of High Ground???

Yes, I am just one voice. I know well that many of you consider me a Fan-Atic, Or Just simply Anti nvidia. But NO Hardware vendor is worth this kind of Treatment, This kind of power grab, This kind of Manipulation.. Not ATi, Not PowerVR, not S3 or Matrox, And no.. Not Nvidia either. Let them keep their Hardware. There is plenty of other Companies out there. With very good Tech even Trident and S3 are making a comeback.

That is all.

Pascal said:

IMHO:

I guess the only useful info Kristof can gain is the date that the sample board has reached reviewers. Now, how useful is that?

As for nvidia providing actual info on its hardware, its like squeezing water/blood out of stone.

The fear of Kristof, besides the fact that he worked for a competitor, is that he really knows his stuff and shares it for all our benefit.

Doomtrooper said:
Why should NVIDIA share any priveledged information with a website that is run by somebody who works at a competing company?

Why should Nvidia share information with anyone period ?? Whatever Nvidia releases to the public being to Reverend or Wavy Dave is going to be nothing more than PR crapola.
There will be no trade secrets revealed in this interview, no indepth technical details revealed...that entire statement is a joke.
It doesn't matter WHO gets the information..if the Reverend does get some technical answers out of them...well it will be uploaded to a public, popular internet site like Voodooextreme where Kristof, ATI and all the other IHV's could read it..again there will be no technical details revealed here so that arguement is poor. :rolleyes:

I guess the only useful info Kristof can gain is the date that the sample board has reached reviewers. Now, how useful is that?

As for nvidia providing actual info on its hardware, its like squeezing water/blood out of stone.

The fear of Kristof, besides the fact that he worked for a competitor, is that he really knows his stuff and shares it for all our benefit.

Doomtrooper said:
Why should NVIDIA share any priveledged information with a website that is run by somebody who works at a competing company?

Why should Nvidia share information with anyone period ?? Whatever Nvidia releases to the public being to Reverend or Wavy Dave is going to be nothing more than PR crapola.
There will be no trade secrets revealed in this interview, no indepth technical details revealed...that entire statement is a joke.
It doesn't matter WHO gets the information..if the Reverend does get some technical answers out of them...well it will be uploaded to a public, popular internet site like Voodooextreme where Kristof, ATI and all the other IHV's could read it..again there will be no technical details revealed here so that arguement is poor. :rolleyes:

DaveBaumann said:
Kristof said:
Maybe we should do a second poll: "Should Kristof leave his official position with B3D ?".

No - the only question is do you still wish to have your position at B3D (I assume yes seeing as you've given me no hint otherwise) and do I feel you are more of a benefit than a liability (see previous reply).

WRT to the actual thread topic - would VE readers want to read a bunch of questions written by people from B3D?

Hmm....I dont see any reason for Kristof to leave his position at B3D, thats just ludicrous.

I rarely post at these forums and just lurk in the background, but I thought i'd chirp up here. Seems everyone else is adding their 2p.
This topic lost me a few posts back and has gone way out of hand IMHO.

Rev, I mean no disrespect, but if nVidia dont want questions originating from Beyond3D, you shouldnt have asked here in the first place. Its insulting at the very least.

DaveBaumann said:
Kristof said:
Maybe we should do a second poll: "Should Kristof leave his official position with B3D ?".

No - the only question is do you still wish to have your position at B3D (I assume yes seeing as you've given me no hint otherwise) and do I feel you are more of a benefit than a liability (see previous reply).

WRT to the actual thread topic - would VE readers want to read a bunch of questions written by people from B3D?

Hmm....I dont see any reason for Kristof to leave his position at B3D, thats just ludicrous.

I rarely post at these forums and just lurk in the background, but I thought i'd chirp up here. Seems everyone else is adding their 2p.
This topic lost me a few posts back and has gone way out of hand IMHO.

Rev, I mean no disrespect, but if nVidia dont want questions originating from Beyond3D, you shouldnt have asked here in the first place. Its insulting at the very least.

Back