Laptop won't boot

green.pixel

Veteran
When turned on and passes logo screen, it shows just a black screen with flashing cursor on it.

I put its SSD in another laptop, it works there. So that leaves one option out.

What could be a source of the issues from most likely to least likely? RAM, board's SATA ports, CPU or something else?

Have you tried going into BIOS and validating the boot order? Maybe bios options got reset?

From what I recall, BIOS didn't recognize SSD at all: the first boot option was filled with blank field. I transfered SSD into another laptop to test it because I thought it was broken because of that.

Do you have a usb enclosure or a caddy you could try booting from that
or on of these (dirt cheap)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3031427070...uC8MHj2uvxgXXYzExkd5w7VNqyShI_jgaArDwEALw_wcB

ps: you did try selecting the ssd in the bios, you didnt just look see the first boot device was empty and exit the bios ?

Don't have the enclosure or caddy.

I couldn't select the SSD in any boot device order # because there was no option with it, it didn't recognize it.

have you tried blowing compressed air to the SSD connector on laptop motherboard?

No, I don't have compressed air bottle atm .

When turned on and passes logo screen, it shows just a black screen with flashing cursor on it.

I put its SSD in another laptop, it works there. So that leaves one option out.

What could be a source of the issues from most likely to least likely? RAM, board's SATA ports, CPU or something else?
doesnt the laptop emit a sound? Could it be that you have a corrupt MBR?

when you put the drive in another laptop was it the boot drive ?
if not it could be a bad mbr, boot from a usb thumb drive and see if you can access the disk as a data drive

No Cyan, it doesn't emit a sound.

Yes, it was the boot drive. Will try that Davros, what should I put on thumb drive? Live Linux distro?

I assume the OS is windows. What happens if you boot from the windows cd and try to repair the OS partition?

Haven't tried it yet. I suppose I can do that with the original W7 disk even though the current version is much newer, ISO'd from MS website?

Haven't tried it yet. I suppose I can do that with the original W7 disk even though the current version is much newer, ISO'd from MS website?
The original will be fine as I've done it many times to repair boot issues. Just have it search for and repair any boot issues it finds.

But what @orangpelupa is also true regarding UEFI. Check the other laptop bios settings for UEFI and confirm the problem laptop bios UEFI settings are similar.

btw, have you tried putting the other working fine laptop disk to the not-working laptop?

oh my god my english. is that even english?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS back to factory settings?

Back