Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't stop them from expiring. A3D is a bit older than one might think, it was originally created by NASA spinoff Crystal River and rebranded to A3D by Aureal when they aquired Crystal River
Fair enough.
Then the tech is probably no longer relevant anymore.

That doesn't stop them from expiring. A3D is a bit older than one might think, it was originally created by NASA spinoff Crystal River and rebranded to A3D by Aureal when they aquired Crystal River

Can't they just renew the license forever, Disney-style?

I really am expecting proper object based RT spacial audio next gen.
From both Sony and MS.

Trying to remember if I got around to upgrading the DAC on the ultrasound or not. As has been said, we have basically not just stood still but taken a step backwards.

The rules on patents and copyrights are very different. They can research new stuff and patent that, but the old stuff will be legal to clone as soon as the original patents run out, at 20 years after original filing.
Is that only applicable to "really old" tech? The few software/hardware patents I was involved with in the mid 2000s, as long as we reapplied/renewed them before they expired, they would remain for the next however many years.

Is that only applicable to "really old" tech? The few software/hardware patents I was involved with in the mid 2000s, as long as we reapplied/renewed them before they expired, they would remain for the next however many years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_patent

20 years from date of filing is the international standard.

Any maintenance fees/renewals are to maintain the patent during that 20 year term.

So even though yes the issue you highlighted is mentioned, I feel that given in games you scale the graphics on pc, or throw hardware at it that it having inpact on graphics in an area due to dynamic nature of audio, it would be lower issue/more manageable as pc gamers need to manage that anyway.

But that could be my biases.
Too many things in article that I could use to highlight both of views to be honest.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/08/17/amd-trueaudio-next-is-bringing-realistic

I guess we are both right. LOL

Even though I doubt how fundamental CU reservation is to TrueAudio Next. AMD only offers CU reservation to select devs.

Reactions: Jay
interesting quote from the A4 article.
Not sure how it's that interesting, both companies have confirmed ages ago that they're bringing RT hardware, and obviously if you bring RT hardware to PC space you need to support DXR

Maybe the fact that the hardware exists and is in the hands of 4A Gaming? I know we all supposed the hardware would show up sometime. That time seems to be now, at least for these developers.

EDIT: Or does that statement not imply that 4A Games has the hardware in their possession? And just that AMD and Intel are working on it?

Not sure how it's that interesting, both companies have confirmed ages ago that they're bringing RT hardware, and obviously if you bring RT hardware to PC space you need to support DXR
Intel was not clear about it. There were some words about upcoming RT GPU support, but could be they mean their existing frameworks like Embree and offline / HPC application.
There is no official confirmation they will support RT / DXR on their upcoming discrete consumer GPUs, AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back