Fan Cable management question

Davros

Legend
Picture just to give you an idea of the type of cable i'm referring to
RH5Ao9B.jpg

So imagine you have a fan with a cable like in the picture the fan connects to a motherboard header about 4 inches away, problem is the cable is about 30cm long. Anyone have a solution to make it look neat. Best solution would be to cut the cable to the ideal length but thats beyond my skill level (I could do it but the join would be weak and look like crap)
Tnx...

Try to find a shorter one on eBay or Aliexpress? It should be a few quid, tops.

You can prize the pins out of the housing, then open them up, cut back the wires to the required length, strip and redo the pins and re-insert them into the housing.

Or buy some new crimp pins from eBay, they are cheap and can put pinched on with needle pliers if you have patience.

This is more or less the layout
I have a rgb cable and a pwm cable
c3hEUm9.jpg

redoing pins is a bit beyond me
I'll look at a solution tomorrow in the daylight (led light bulbs suck)

Snake the cable around the fan a few times? Depending on the fan, you might just have the wire catch onto the edge of the fan too, but a tie would help.

Yeah, maybe even wrap it a few times with the fan removed and then see which orientation gives the best amount of slack to the mobo pins then attach the fan back to the case.

Wonderful, the fan is supposed to come with 4 screws and it didn't and I don't have any screws that will fit
Edit: Must be going senile in my old age The previous Altar of Gaming Goodness has a shitload of case fans that I can take screws from.

ps: little tip about rgb connectors, you have to line up pin 1 with pin 1 of the rgb header. The marking on the connector is very hard to see so put a little bit of red electrical tape on the side that has pin 1

Last edited:
if the cable is long enough, you probably can hide it behind the nook and crannies (side of PSU, under motherboard, etc) then secure it in place with black tape

Cant do that because the fan wires also have sockets on the to connect another fan and a socket to connect to a controller. Also the pwn cable isnt a wire with a pwm connector its a wire with a socket on the end then another cable with a pwm plug connects into it
This is whats connected to the fan (its ridiculous) I may just get another fan because it annoys me so much
nfwVZxU.jpg

Last edited:
You know I just built a computer for my younger son two weeks ago mostly using leftover parts but had to buy a new case for it. I cursed out loud at the store seeing the only options off the shelf not only had see-through side panels but also LED-equipped case fans. And of course the motherboard has no way of disabling or even adjusting the PWM controller of the case fans, so the thing is flashing like a frigging rave club prop due to low PWM duty cycle all the time.

I get it that average citizens watching War Games and Knight Rider back in the day were impressed by the flashing lights in computers, but I was perfectly happy with boxes colored like East German home appliances. The world seems to be retarding further year by year.

Because it was annoying me so much I decided to put on my thinking cap break out a pwm extension cable and a rgb extension cable and have now managed to move all the bulky connectors to behind the motherboard tray out of sight.
I am so happy......

Here ya go (apologies for the crap camera)
tU9Gqfl.jpg

Its only temporary, I'm currently using a braided pwm extension cable like this :
TTz3nw1.jpg

I will get a flat cable. I will be able to hide it better (maybe attach it to the side of the heatsink with some black insulation tape)
1FHdciw.jpg

You cant notice it from a distance through the tinted glass side panel
rov0UJg.jpg

And finally some multicoloured rgb to cheer up WhiningKhan ;)
USbBKIC.jpg

ps: when I shutdown the p.c the leds on the motherboard and the aio (including the fan rgb's) stay lit
I thought it was just because the capacitors still had some voltage in them but they were still lit the next day.
So just a pwm cable and a gfx card to go

it only last less than a week before i pulled the RGB cable from motherboard LOL. Then i also taped the power LED.

Back