The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Lock and Key - very enjoyable series. If you liked Stranger Things, you'll probably enjoy this.

Narcos: Mexico - The second season just hit, and I have the same complaint I had with the first season -- too many subtitles for far too long. I wish they'd handle the language issue like how the series "Warrior" did. You have the first few sentences, at most a minute, in the other language and then it transitions into the audio language you picked. I really don't feel like reading the series, and yet here we are again. For this reason alone it won't ever be as enjoyable as the original seasons of Nacros: Pablo Escobar .

I've been going through Narcos and really enjoyed the first 3 seasons. Started Mexico now as well.

The only problem I have with subtitles is I can't put an episode on and make lunch or something. I much prefer original language in any foreign series or movie though.

But these are not what I consider to be foreign series, even if they're set outside the US they're still very much Hollywood-style series.

But these are not what I consider to be foreign series, even if they're set outside the US they're still very much Hollywood-style series.
Why does it matter who it's made by or the "style"? Is it somehow you think the apparent target audience doesn't like subtitles?

Yes, most US viewers hate having to read their entertainment. Its why there were US remakes of the already excellent movie series The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

It's also why Netflix redid the dubbing on some of their more popular foreign series like Money Heist.

Lock and Key - very enjoyable series. If you liked Stranger Things, you'll probably enjoy this.

Narcos: Mexico - The second season just hit, and I have the same complaint I had with the first season -- too many subtitles for far too long. I wish they'd handle the language issue like how the series "Warrior" did. You have the first few sentences, at most a minute, in the other language and then it transitions into the audio language you picked. I really don't feel like reading the series, and yet here we are again. For this reason alone it won't ever be as enjoyable as the original seasons of Nacros: Pablo Escobar .

sometimes it does have similar tone with stranger things but Locke and Key are so different due to
1. Full of dumb people with stupid decisions, especially the Locke kids and mom. Making the plot feels like "just the whim of the storywriter".
2. Tons of annoying drama that doesn't flow well
3. inconsistent pacing.

All 3 points of which seemed highly relevant to Season 1 of Stranger Things, as well. You dont notice the pacing issues as much when you're watching all episodes in a weekend (3 days or less).

Hmm i didnt remember binged stranger things S1 and i dont remember those issues. But then, it could just be the rose tinted nostalgia.

I also watched Locke and Key and overall found it enjoyable. I don't remember being as frustrated about Stranger Things S1 either but also admit it could be nostalgia.

For all that frustrated me, I really didn't like the twist in the final episode. They noticed that the knocked out Dodge in the hallway no longer had the crown, and IIRC they didn't even searched her for the rest of the keys. They bloody well knew she had the key to change forms, and yet, no one suspected it was a set up.

And they committed such strategic and tactical blunder.

like taking the key to the crown with them to get the crown.

I didn't like how they hide the ending plot twist
Gabe being Dodge
but it sets things up for Season 2.

Maybe I'm getting my Stranger Things seasons mixed up, but there was stupidity with kids not trusting or telling their older siblings and parents or adults what was happening, there was infighting with the kids, and so much time spent on Barb that didn't matter, and romantic setups and conflicts with Nancy that didn't matter and just filled time.

i actually dont mind the "kids doesnt tell parents" trope (actually in L&L they did told their parent but none of them can understand). but the stupid actions in L&L is really baffling. Like in the last episode is full of stupid things that feels like just the whim of the story writer.

The Expanse, season 4.

I'm liking the story and everything, but... I think they're kind of ruining it with one of my favourite characters, Avasarala. :no: In previous seasons I thought she was awesome: so smart, so elegant, so regal and yet so vulgarly straight to the point when the moment required it, but now it seems that the writers only focused on this last point, and every fucking sentence she speaks she is cursing and pouting, like a child having a tantrum. Am I the only one? I've only watched 4 episodes so far.

The Expanse, season 4.

I'm liking the story and everything, but... I think they're kind of ruining it with one of my favourite characters, Avasarala. :no: In previous seasons I thought she was awesome: so smart, so elegant, so regal and yet so vulgarly straight to the point when the moment required it, but now it seems that the writers only focused on this last point, and every fucking sentence she speaks she is cursing and pouting, like a child having a tantrum. Am I the only one? I've only watched 4 episodes so far.

an important character in a few eps also noted that change of her characteristic. So its deliberate by the author IMO

I stopped watching that Westworld trailer half way through. They put way too much in trailers.

Back