Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was always going to be a generational leap, aside from if Sony and MS didn't want to and stayed with jaguars, a mechanical spinning HDD, omitted ray tracing which arrived for costumers 2018, and stuck with a GPU that is anything below Navi at the same raw TFs.
With a BOM between 400 and $500 it is kinda hard to not offer a generational leap in 2020, over the jaguar and HDD equipped 2013 consoles, which had a relatively modest GPU for the time.

Also, zen2 might come close to Intel in IPC, but not really in clock speeds yet? Maybe Zen 3 will do that though.
Desktop clock speeds are somewhat irrelevant when it comes to consoles anyway. They're aiming for notebook level of dissipation.

What a rather boring weekend ... Nothing new or exciting in the rumor mill. There isn't even new pics of DevKits to look at. And still people are talking about a non-existent console built around a SOC codenamed Lockhart.

Both sides have solid information well contained.

What a rather boring weekend ... Nothing new or exciting in the rumor mill. There isn't even new pics of DevKits to look at. And still people are talking about a non-existent console built around a SOC codenamed Lockhart.

Both sides have solid information well contained.

Yes there is some good news, Sony is shutting down all Playstation Forums:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-shutting-down-all-official-playstation-forums.1526310/

https://community.playstation.com/c...erals.topic.html/update_communityfo-8D71.html

Very surprised they didn't mention Reddit as it's a natural fit for forum replacement. I think MS took down their horrible forum software a few years ago after trying out an even worse software product that seemed written by college students as a coursework assignment.

UPDATE: Community Forums Closure

Beginning 27 February, the PlayStation.com forums will no longer be available. We invite you to continue the conversation via PlayStation.Blog, Twitter, and Instagram. For product support, please visit the support site, Playstation.com/help/

WAIT.

At advanced nodes, Intel followed the 0.7X scaling trend. But starting at 16nm/14nm, others deviated from the formula, creating some confusion in the market.

At that point, the node names became fuzzy and were no longer tied to any transistor spec. Today, the node names are little more than marketing terms. “The node designation is becoming more misleading and meaningless,” said Samuel Wang, an analyst at Gartner. “For example, at 5nm or 3nm, there is no single geometry that is actually 5nm or 3nm. Plus, the process commonality decreases widely between vendors. For the same node, the performance differs from TSMC to Samsung and of course versus Intel.”

Scaling is also slowing at advanced nodes. Generally, a 7nm foundry process consists of a contacted poly pitch (CPP) ranging from 56nm-57nm with a 40nm metal pitch, according to IC Knowledge and TEL. At 5nm, the CPP is roughly 45nm-50nm with a 26nm metal pitch. CPP, a key transistor metric, measures the distance between a source and drain contact.

WHAT.

7nm isn’t *actually* 7nm?

I feel cheated. I’m cancelling all orders of every electronic thing I’ve not ordered ever.

I’m shook.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/13/202...s-must-adjust-to-china-slowdown-anz-says.html

https://www.barrons.com/articles/eu...-will-struggle-to-recover-in-2020-51577359800

Both of those BEFORE the world knew about the corona virus.

This one about Germany, the biggest economy, being flat for the last quarter of 2019.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...flatlines-after-spending-and-exports-slowdown

So yeah price may matter a bit for 2020 console launches.

Logic, pah!

We know an expensive PlayStation = two jobs

So, Ps > 399 then jobs = 2

Then, jobs =2 then Market ++

There for

Flat market ! = low price

Some clever C level maths means you can perfectly calculate the value of Ps

Ps = 599

And an improving market

Solving economics the gamer way

:yep2::yep2:

I guess he means the ID buffer intended to facilitate reconstruction techniques. 'Hardware for upscaling' doesn't equate to 'upscaling hardware'.
Correct.
I should have used the term "reconstruction", so it's ID Buffer, Checkerboard and to a certain point rapid packed math that is used on those while taking a lower performance hit.

Yes there is some good news, Sony is shutting down all Playstation Forums:
I'm confused. Last post of yours was about 5nm and 3nm availability. I responded with a link to an article explaining the complexities, challenging your theory that a 2021 launch on 5nm is a sound business strategy. Your next post is then about PS closing down their forums, which AFAICS has nothing to do with next-gen at all. It's not even a rumour but news. It's not even baseless as it comes from Sony officially. So in the middle of a discussion on your hardware theories, you post in the Baseless Next Gen Rumours thread some Fact-Based Current-Gen News. :???:

Please explain your train of thought! ;)

Feels pretty weird we are almost at March and still no detailed leak from Sony/MS official documentation has leaked.

In my mind, I think that they were pretty ready for a reveal.

And I know some people on here mentioned it, while some joked about it, but seeing MWC 2020 actually cancelled completely because of the coronavirus, now I do feel that all big reveals have been out on hold.

MWC might be unrelated to consoles, being the E3 of mobile, but it’s clear now that things are not great in the world of big reveals, at the moment.

From OsirisBlack:

“Newer tools are much more refined for Sony’s machine. XseX is slightly ahead in Spec on new gdk.” They do not have final PSV Development kit and the person I know that has access to it won’t talk about it.
Asked about numbers “12.2/12.4 not exactly numbers that is how minimal the difference is.”

The dude was always full of shit.
And the Inquisitors just can't help themselves.
I think @Shifty Geezer was pretty clear about dogpiling on rumor sources in this thread.

BTW, for all I know, he could be about as full of it as you.
But one big difference is he's been vetted by the forum's mod team, and at least he's putting his account on the line with a clear ban if his info doesn't come through.
Whereas all you've been doing is betting virtual moneys for how sure you are of the Github Gospel with no real repercussions if your sources are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back