Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just keeping it comprehensive considering that I'm seeing sources from 4chan and Reddit used in this thread too. It is the "no technical merits" thread after all.

Maybe I should add pastebin source, Reddit and 4chan anons to the bottom list.

Yup, a comprehensive list of obvious fanboys and corporate shills (on both sides). But yes, this thread has no technical merits as you stated. :yep2:

The demand for mobile phones must be causing supply constraints with the LCD screen needed for the DS5 controller. Sony will be forced to ship the PS5 with the disclaimer DS5 Controller Not Included.
Hope.
So we can still use ps4 controllers...

Lol this is very not generous in any way. This is rock bottom margins. AMD would probably aim for at least 30% margins even in this console space. This would mean wafer cost + production cost * 0.3 probably looking at more than $5000 as AMD's cut. AMD has a lot more negotiating power this gen than last and I expect them to actually negotiate much better margins on the consoles.
AMD's financial results after the current gen launched pointed to semicustom margins in the teens, and those were unexpectedly high. There are payment schedules that gradually reduce what the clients pay, so the early prices were a high water mark where Sony and Microsoft made allowances for being early in the improvement curve.
During the most recent financial call, once AMD mentioned the upcoming generation launch, the next question was how much they expected the console products to weaken AMD's margins. AMD's response seems to be counting on every other part of its business to make up for the hit, as well as the consoles not making a notable impact until late in the year.

I'll say the R&D is of very high value, after all Navi is the foundation that covers more than just PS, it extends out to all tiers of PC graphics hardware both discreet and APUs. The return should be highly profitable for AMD wouldn't it?
Semicustom customers pay for the up-front engineering cost of their SOCs, which minimizes AMD's risk but entitles it to less per-unit revenue. The pricing schedule is laid out in advance to a significant extent, and there is a limit to how much leverage AMD has in pricing since these are bespoke chips that AMD can only sell to the client.

I don't think gddr6 or other ram production is necessarily entirely dedicated. If there is need for more of one product it may mean a shift in resources away from producing another.
Commodity DRAM does have dedicated production lines, which is why commodity memory can be so cheap. It's also why there's a tendency for volatility, since they can overshoot demand and glut the market in hopes that demand recovers before lines go idle. They then react by cutting slow-to-ramp production and don't ramp until after demand spikes again.

More boutique memories like GDDR and HBM aren't continuously manufactured, so they lack the same economies of scale. They're also in demand by a number of high-paying markets (particularly HBM) and the DRAM makers are counting on their more reliable margins to improve their profitability.

It was a self-requested ban. i.e. "I can't resist the urge to post if I have an account. Please ban me to remove the temptation."

Matt is a known industry insider and moderator at the forum. He knows both because he's in the industry. 15% is a quantifiable mathematical relationship.

Ah so a banned user, exited after hard data leaks occured.

Matt, another ’industry’ insider, well thats too bad then, again nothing. The problem is just that, insiders. Give us information thats relevant instead.

Some of these sources, even though reliable like Reiner, only made statements around last GDC/E3. Things change and what may have been true at the time and was likely based on only target specs doesn’t mean it is still true today.

PS5 will be more powerfull then xbox, above 12TF. Journalists said so, atleast before bans etc

The Playstation brand is the strongest in Europe and Asia, which are both facing economic slowdown, even before this virus thing.
Source?

@Globalisateur, @ToTTenTranz, @anexanhume any others you would like to add to the lists
I don't really like how the list is separated (mine is bigger than yours), as it's just inviting flamebait.
You could make a list that separates between "github Gospel tells the full story" and "github Gospel does not tell the full story". Most people you put in the "PS5 WINS" list is actually saying there's a slight edge on the PS5 but they're so close in power that it could change with final clocks, i.e. it's inconclusive.

Besides, for us customers (who care about specs and IQ) it's much more important to know if the performance difference between the consoles will be 30% large or 5% large. One results in notably different games, the other does not.

Matt, another ’industry’ insider, well thats too bad then, again nothing. The problem is just that, insiders. Give us information thats relevant instead.
There is a thread for mocking / pursuing / discrediting the sources that threaten your Gospel. This is not that thread.

Sources in this thread? If trolls on reddit, 4chan and even resetera are used we might aswell not have any sources at all.

9 vs 12TF, its abit more then pro vs one x difference, so thats what to expect, resolution, framerate, or assets, perhaps a combination of those. Depends on the devs. Exclusives will make bigger differences that harness the full 12TF.
With sony having cooling issues, due to higher clocks, upto 2ghz, we might see a downclock.

Sources in this thread? If trolls on reddit, 4chan and even resetera are used we might aswell not have any sources at all.

I thought the acceptness of lacking sources was related to 9th-gen console specs and features.

I wasn't aware this was valid to throwing in generalised comments on the financial future of entire continents.

My bad.

Sony wants a cheaper PS5 because Sony is more popular in Europe and Asia and all those peoples are getting poor.
Yeah ok.

9 vs 12TF, its abit more then pro vs one x difference, so thats what to expect, resolution, framerate, or assets, perhaps a combination of those. Depends on the devs. Exclusives will make bigger differences that harness the full 12TF.
With sony having cooling issues, due to higher clocks, upto 2ghz, we might see a downclock.

1 - 33% difference is gigantic. The PS4 Pro used more advanced (and noticeably bigger) CUs and had dedicated hardware for upscaling, yet the difference between the XBoneX and PS4Pro is still big.

2 - 2GHz is far from the optimum efficiency curve in any GPU architecture we've seen yet. Makes no sense to target that unless there's a huge architectural upgrade in RDNA 1.5/2 that significantly moves that curve.

3 - A spreadsheet that tests BC modes will only activate the necessary CUs that are used in the BC modes, therefore is not conclusive proof of iGPU size.

No. Why is this coming up again?! I repeat, it's the difference between getting sacked and choosing to retire early. Within the forum software, there is only one method to exclude a member and that is to 'ban' them, so yes, according to the letter of the law that you like to use, he's technically banned. But he was not ejected from the forum which is what happens to properly 'banned' members. When someone else is a 'banned insider' it means they were wrong and ejected for spreading lies or something. But that hasn't happened to Klee (yet - maybe he won't be allowed back in?).

With all the arguments you are happy to use to disprove the PS5-more-power camp, Klee being banned isn't one of them and you shouldn't be using the fact he was been 'banned' as evidence to discredit him. That one doesn't work and it shouldn't come up again.

1 - 33% difference is gigantic. The PS4 Pro used more advanced (and noticeably bigger) CUs and had dedicated hardware for upscaling, yet the difference between the XBoneX and PS4Pro is still big.

I am not sure you can use the CU's in isolation as there is also a massive memory bandwidth advantage to the X also.

Dedicated HW upacaling? I did not know it was any different to base ps4. I assumed this because most games render to the dashboard set resolution rather than to whatever the developer wants and the system takes care of the rest (Xbox).

My bad.

Sony wants a cheaper PS5 because Sony is more popular in Europe and Asia and all those peoples are getting poor.
Yeah ok.

Sony wanted a 399 model because it was very succesfull for the 8th generation.

3 - A spreadsheet that tests BC modes will only activate the necessary CUs that are used in the BC modes, therefore is not conclusive proof of iGPU size.

Or it is the full chip, narrow and fast, while MS went wide and slow (er) approach.

No. Why is this coming up again?! I repeat, it's the difference between getting sacked and choosing to retire early. Within the forum software, there is only one method to exclude a member and that is to 'ban' them, so yes, according to the letter of the law that you like to use, he's technically banned. But he was not ejected from the forum which is what happens to properly 'banned' members. When someone else is a 'banned insider' it means they were wrong and ejected for spreading lies or something. But that hasn't happened to Klee (yet - maybe he won't be allowed back in?).

I have no idea why Klee, and others like him,names are appearing on a forum like this. Why ban yourself if you have been right all along, when we are getting close to the truth? He has been under critics all along, but just after hard data leaks he wanted to exit, cause apparently he couldnt resist commenting on resetera.
It doesnt really matter anyway, with the fall of Klee, another journalist will take his place. There is enough 'market' for people like him, and there are always people who want to get attention on gaming forums.

With all the arguments you are happy to use to disprove the PS5-more-power camp, Klee being banned isn't one of them and you shouldn't be using the fact he was been 'banned' as evidence to discredit him. That one doesn't work and it shouldn't come up again.

There just isn't any proof either that the PS5 is more powerfull, or that the github leak was fake. It is just that, after the hard data leak, he decided to be banned, which some had anticipated well before would happen. The 'sources' that claim the ps5 is more powerfull are the ones that are 'insiders' or 'insiders with a friend'. Some might find those 'sources' hard to discuss, as they dont contain any real information other then platform favoring.

That Spanish dev BGs from Gaf said that earlier this year, the PS5 devkit still performed faster than the XSX devkit in their studio, now could that be the older XSX version or the 12 TF one MS was trying to send out after that VGA announcement? Is it not the case that the main design of the chipset should be all locked down way before the final release year? Let's say it's the older version and weaker than PS5 and you believe a 9.2 TF PS5, wouldn't that make the old XSX devkit ~8TF? So they just added a whopping 4 TF in the final devkit?
I guess it's possible the older kits were using a Vega 64 or R7 to simulate but I find it a bit far fetched such huge increase in power in the later version is possible, so would somebody elaborate on this? Has devkit ever been weaker than the retail unit before?

Sony wanted a 399 model because it was very succesfull for the 8th generation.

Or it is the full chip, narrow and fast, while MS went wide and slow (er) approach.

I have no idea why Klee, and others like him,names are appearing on a forum like this. Why ban yourself if you have been right all along, when we are getting close to the truth? He has been under critics all along, but just after hard data leaks he wanted to exit, cause apparently he couldnt resist commenting on resetera.
It doesnt really matter anyway, with the fall of Klee, another journalist will take his place. There is enough 'market' for people like him, and there are always people who want to get attention on gaming forums.

There just isn't any proof either that the PS5 is more powerfull, or that the github leak was fake. It is just that, after the hard data leak, he decided to be banned, which some had anticipated well before would happen. The 'sources' that claim the ps5 is more powerfull are the ones that are 'insiders' or 'insiders with a friend'. Some might find those 'sources' hard to discuss, as they dont contain any real information other then platform favoring.
While it's possible Klee may have lost his nerve when under fire by the supposed "hard data" which some is hell bent in believing to be fully representative of the retail PS5 unit, this reasoning still doesn't fully stand tho. By such rationale would rest of the Pro PS5 camp who didn't self ban automatically become reliable then;)? Let's see it in a different light here, a whole bunch of people constantly disagreeing, nit picking or rudely harassing you just because of platform bias despite your info was 100% accurate, would that not piss you off and make you wanna cut off the conversation altogether?
I"m just saying you're too dead set on Klee and should consider more possibilities dude.

That Spanish dev BGs from Gaf said that earlier this year, the PS5 devkit still performed faster than the XSX devkit in their studio, now could that be the older XSX version or the 12 TF one MS was trying to send out after that VGA announcement? Is it not the case that the main design of the chipset should be all locked down way before the final release year? Let's say it's the older version and weaker than PS5 and you believe a 9.2 TF PS5, wouldn't that make the old XSX devkit ~8TF? So they just added a whopping 4 TF in the final devkit?
I guess it's possible the older kits were using a Vega 64 or R7 to simulate but I find it a bit far fetched such huge increase in power in the later version is possible, so would somebody elaborate on this? Has devkit ever been weaker than the retail unit before?
If this is the VR dev. We looked at the company. It’s a Business 2 Business VR company. They don’t make Any games.
The original dev kits for Xbox all painfully withheld full access to resources for non gaming applications.

there was a change later on, but I have no reason to believe that MS would be willingly once again releasing a fully unlocked kit to a non game company - these folks are the easiest leakers since they have virtually 0 stakes whether or not you bar them from future hardware kits.

I"m just saying you're too dead set on Klee and should consider more possibilities dude.

I'm not, he's just one of those insiders. Mostly, it is hard data that does the job, if not Sony or MS themselfs say it. All we got aside from github leak is hearsay from journalists, forum members etc. Also, i think there's more people who want to believe him then not, most kling to insiders like him because of they give what people want.

I have no idea why Klee, and others like him,names are appearing on a forum like this.
[Because this the Baseless Rumours thread.
Why don't you just drop the subject at this point instead of repeating it ad nauseam? This thread was created when discussing next-gen tech as rumours from would-be, uncorroborated insiders generated discussion. It's sole purpose is to give voice to the voices that don't belong in the tech thread. If you don't like that, stay out of the discussion. You've been complaining about rumours in this rumour thread for ages!

Why ban yourself if you have been right all along, when we are getting close to the truth?
For the same reason if you had any sense, you'd take yourself out of this thread instead of me having to ban you from it? :p It's been explained. He finds it hard to stay away from the conversation, and so requested a ban so that he can't be involved. Whether you believe that or not, it's already old ground that doesn't need covering again. Some people are willing to believe that story. Others aren't. there's zero proof either way so nothing can be gained discussing it.

There just isn't any proof either that the PS5 is more powerfull, or that the github leak was fake.
Again, you're going around in circles. The GitHub leak isn't fake, but that doesn't mean it tells the whole story. Ergo, there's as much reason to believe in insiders as there is that the tech leak is the be-all-and-end-all of PS5's specs. There's nothing wrong or illogical in anyone preferring to believe either side as neither is clearly the more reliable source.

Just agree to disagree and move on. This thread isn't about proving whose faith in which sources is correct, but to have a safe place to surface rumours about what next-gen might be without the tech thread getting polluted with discussions about how reliable those sources are.

Honestly, when you say, "a forum like this," I want to close this thread as an embarrassment to the board, thousands of posts saying the same things over and over. But if I did, it'd just spill out elsewhere. Top tip, none of this is at all important and it's really not worth your (anyone reading) time to try and convince those with a different interpretation to you to align with your interpretation.

I meant with that b3d is a more serious tech discussion forum then some others are, where insiders originate from.

Copy that.
I think it’s best to just slow down and to stop reiterating the points already made unless you have a stronger more nuanced perspective that may be missed.

there are other strategies to reasoning and logic that can be employed to showcase items; and its critical to do it in this way. You want redundancy without repetition. This is how you formulate arguments that are stronger without annoying people

for example can you make a strong argument without github leaks?
This process is straight forward; the first insider leaka indicates that PS5 and XSX difference was the difference between XBO and X1S. This difference is approximately 7% on the GPU side iiRc.
Since then all the insider leaks have been the same vein; no real leaks on actual spec numbers, just an emphasis of PS5 being more powerful by 7%+. By the logic we are using. Say up to 15 max. If we cast a wide net on leaks.

We still have no numbers at this time from the insiders mind you. Everyone is afraid to give out the official spec number they are looking at. But w/e.

somehow people believe this relative number to leak is critical but it’s not.
Because we are able to strongly determine the power footprint of XSX without the need of github leaks.

We are told it is twice as powerful. We have determined it’s size of 405mm^2. These 2 days points corroborate a power profile of close to approximately 12.

so by large PS5 should be between 12.84 to 13.8 TF by leakers accounts.

still have yet a credible leaker who said earlier that PS5 was more powerful by 7% to say the obvious Yes XSX is 12 TF.

They already told us the relative difference. Anyone here can do math. X*107% = Y
Pretty simple. Yet we don’t. Because if the answer to that formula is not the same as the spec sheet they are looking at; that XSX cannot be 12.

that’s where the Github leaks becomes a problem. It corroborated the size of the chip with the large number of CUs before we saw the size of the chip.

We know with relative confidence intervals that XSX will be ~12

Last edited:
I think it’s best to just slow down and to stop reiterating the points already made unless you have a stronger more nuanced perspective that may be missed.

there are other strategies to reasoning and logic that can be employed to showcase items; and its critical to do it in this way. You want redundancy without repetition. This is how you formulate arguments that are stronger without annoying people.

Yeah i got that now, that's why i replied 'copy that' to shifty geezer. No harm in you explaining that though :)

The github leak only proofs what the target specs are, the final chip will be in the retail units. It is a testbed for a reason, the leak does imply 9.2TF, but they could alter the design somewhat, not from 36CU to 52, or from 2ghz to 1.5. Slight adjustments i ment.

It doesn't proof anything, it's only doing regression tests for backwards compatibility with PS4 and PS4 Pro. That one line about being "full chip" might even mean something different to who wrote it, other than full PS5 chip. It's your interpretation, not proof of anything.

And what would be the point of going to the trouble of developing a 36CU chip to test it at 2Ghz if another one with more CUs and lower clock would be coming down the line still targeting 9TF? In your effort to insist with 9TF you start not making much sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back