Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends which console they favor.
The person in question, Klee, was excited about Stadia. That alone should tell you he has no platform alliance.

Neither. Hard data, numbers, that's what is called information, not 'very powerfull' which is a given for any gaming hardware launching 2020. Or 'they are close' cause whatever that means can anyone guess, one s and ps4 are 'close' aswell.

One is a banned user with unverified info, the other not even verified at all, if that even means anything. It is resetera were talking about, there's a reason trolls appear there so often.

TF was confirmed within 15% by Matt. Is that enough of a number for you?

Hey Samsung and Motorola just showed off $1400 flip phones.

So what's the worry about $600 consoles?

Well first no is paying that much out of pocket for a phone because it's usually part of a payment plan. Second, this phones vs consoles is apples to oranges because virtually everyone would qualify as a "hardcore phone user" these days....few would qualify as a hardcore gamer.

People literally have there phones with them 24/7.

So keeping it to insiders/journalists that specifically made PS5 vs Xsx comparisons:

9vs12 camp / Xsx having edge camp:
Digital Foundry
Tom Warren
Brad Sams
VFXVeteran
@chris1515
XCloudTimDog
RedTechGaming
IGN Japan Editor In Chief

InconclusiveCamp:
JSchreir
Matt

PS5havingEdge camp:
Jeremy Reiner
OsirisBlack
KleeGameFan
Colin Moriarty
BGs
Moore's Law is Dead
FoxyGames
Tidux

@Globalisateur, @ToTTenTranz, @anexanhume any others you would like to add to the lists?

Last edited:
So keeping it to insiders/journalists that specifically made PS5 vs Xsx comparisons:

Digital Foundry
Tom Warren
Brad Sams
VFXVeteran
@chris1515
XCloudTimDog
RedTechGaming

InconclusiveCamp:
JSchreir
Matt

PS5havingEdge camp:
Jeremy Reiner
OsirisBlack
KleeGameFan
Colin Moriarty
BGs
Moore's Law is Dead
FoxyGames
Tidux
That is certainly a list that contains people.

Are Sony putting low power DRAM in PS5? Why? It's connected to a wall socket. Phones and tablets I get, but a console? The thermal differences aren't great.

I looked your post and realized, smartphones don’t sport gddr6 so why would smartphone demand affect the PS5’s DRAM supply?

Unless the PS5 is using a ton of LDDR (2 to 4 GB isn’t a lot), supplying enough for 3-4 million units shouldn’t be a significant volume especially given the volume needed to supply the smartphone market. 1.5 billion smartphones are sold annually and smartphones sales have been declining.

Last edited:
Well first no is paying that much out of pocket for a phone because it's usually part of a payment plan. Second, this phones vs consoles is apples to oranges because virtually everyone would qualify as a "hardcore phone user" these days....few would qualify as a hardcore gamer.

People literally have there phones with them 24/7.

In general, there's a smaller market for a $600 console than a $400 one.

But to put it in perspective, PS3 came out at $600 now over 10 years ago?

Inflation has been low but relatively speaking, $600 now would be a lot less than it was whenever the PS3 came out.

It hurt their sales for the first couple of years. But overall, they caught up.

However, Sony is much more dependent on the console business than MS. So they can't take risks which could reverse the positive brand image it has. The Playstation brand is the strongest in Europe and Asia, which are both facing economic slowdown, even before this virus thing.

So I can see Sony being relunctant to risk $600 price point again.

I looked your post and realized, smartphones don’t sport gddr6 so why would smartphone demand affect the PS5’s DRAM supply?

I don't think gddr6 or other ram production is necessarily entirely dedicated. If there is need for more of one product it may mean a shift in resources away from producing another.

I don't know how many 1TB ssd's shipped last year, but I expect there will be 5-10 million more this year.

The demand for mobile phones must be causing supply constraints with the LCD screen needed for the DS5 controller. Sony will be forced to ship the PS5 with the disclaimer DS5 Controller Not Included.

I don't think gddr6 or other ram production is necessarily entirely dedicated. If there is need for more of one product it may mean a shift in resources away from producing another.

I don't know how many 1TB ssd's shipped last year, but I expect there will be 5-10 million more this year.

I imagine GDDR6 isn’t commodified like LDDR. GDDR6 is a high end product with premium margins. Plus, GDDR6 is becoming a bigger market due to demand of high bandwidth memory in areas like data centers. Why give production in this area to produce low margin parts?

If anything memory manufacturers just don’t have the production levels to deal with the transition from gddr5 to gddr6 for consoles, pc gpus and other products. Versus being pressured by smartphones.

Last edited:
Hes back?

It was a self-requested ban. i.e. "I can't resist the urge to post if I have an account. Please ban me to remove the temptation."

Who’s matt? Another journalist with a friend? How does he know both specs? Again ’within 15%’ no hard data there.

PS5 having cooling problems, high clocks going on?

Matt is a known industry insider and moderator at the forum. He knows both because he's in the industry. 15% is a quantifiable mathematical relationship.

Digital Foundry
Tom Warren
Brad Sams
VFXVeteran
@chris1515
XCloudTimDog
RedTechGaming

InconclusiveCamp:
JSchreir
Matt

PS5havingEdge camp:
Jeremy Reiner
OsirisBlack
KleeGameFan
Colin Moriarty
BGs
Moore's Law is Dead
FoxyGames
Tidux

@Globalisateur, @ToTTenTranz, @anexanhume any others you would like to add to the lists?
tenor.gif

At least we'll get LOTR CG in real time next gen right?

Digital Foundry
Tom Warren
Brad Sams
VFXVeteran
@chris1515
XCloudTimDog
RedTechGaming

InconclusiveCamp:
JSchreir
Matt

PS5havingEdge camp:
Jeremy Reiner
OsirisBlack
KleeGameFan
Colin Moriarty
BGs
Moore's Law is Dead
FoxyGames
Tidux

Some of these sources, even though reliable like Reiner, only made statements around last GDC/E3. Things change and what may have been true at the time and was likely based on only target specs doesn’t mean it is still true today.

Important to keep in mind that his credentials weren't good enough for verification on Era.

I wouldn't exactly use Era as a great measuring stick as well.

Digital Foundry
Tom Warren
Brad Sams
VFXVeteran
@chris1515
XCloudTimDog
RedTechGaming

InconclusiveCamp:
JSchreir
Matt

PS5havingEdge camp:
Jeremy Reiner
OsirisBlack
KleeGameFan
Colin Moriarty
BGs
Moore's Law is Dead
FoxyGames
Tidux

This list is more ignorant than the 'exclusive games list' console warring fanboys like to use.

This list is more ignorant than the 'exclusive games list' console warring fanboys like to use.

I am just keeping it comprehensive considering that I'm seeing sources from 4chan and Reddit used in this thread too. It is the "no technical merits" thread after all.

Maybe I should add pastebin source, Reddit and 4chan anons to the bottom list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back