Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony clearly only spend a dollar on cooling, hence the noise. They use aluminium and copper coloured plastic, this gen they will try the real stuff.

After all those rummors of xbone having a blitter, it will turn out its ps5 that will have copper!

Gotta steal as many tricks as possible from Amiga's book, if you wanna ray trace that juggler in real time, after all.

Last edited:
He didn't show up any activity on PSN for almost a year except trying a small indie game. All work, no play!

Either he's in a big crunch on an undisclosed title, or he's been playing on PS5 for a year and those games obvious won't show up on his account yet.
LOL. I know you were kidding but a bit of context: That Indie is Invisible (great game BTW). He platinumed that game. That's an "Ultra rare 0.1%" completion rate trophy. I don't think he "tried" that game.

LOL. I know you were kidding but a bit of context: That Indie is Invisible (great game BTW). He platinumed that game. That's an "Ultra rare 0.1%" completion rate trophy. I don't think he "tried" that game.
Oh, I had no idea! I should have looked it up. Whenever one of the top brass of playstation play an indie it really helps them get the game known. It shows up on a lot of people's activity feed.

Albert Penello's take:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bl...-dram-components.170008/page-23#post-29125250

Some of the smaller details in the article don't make sense to me, although I can agree with the overall conclusions. I sort of said the same thing after their earnings call based on the comments from the CFO - things appear to be trending more expensive and $399 isn't a slam dunk. They would like to wait until Xbox announces price to make the call. I agree with this sentiment.

The actual dollars don't make sense to me because a $450 launch BOM wouldn't be a super hard pill to swallow to launch at $399 assuming they have line-of-sight for that to come down. I think it would need to be much higher for them to waiver like this.

Second, I don't recall cooling solutions being that cheap - even single components within the system. Still it seems hard to believe that cooling (even an exotic solution) would be something that drives up the price. I also don't believe they couldn't design around this issue. It's all memory, silicon yields, storage and spinning media. Those are the big areas. So a significant increase in memory pricing absolutely could be a driver.

My guess is that costs have gone up enough to put them in a weird spot. Depending on what you want to believe about performance - but if they are actually in a 9-10 vs. 12 situation, being at the same price isn't super fun. And if costs have gone up more than they expect, it could be very hard to get to a $100 delta.

That's my take anyway. I don't think it's a revelatory article, more just adding some texture to things that seem to be known.

Mark Cerny?
Within the last 4 years:
2016 - Executive producer for The Last Guardian
2017 - Director for Knack 2
2018 - Executive producer for Spider-Man
2019 - Technical producer for Death Stranding

You think he isn't working on any game at the moment? Nor that his insights over game sizes are valuable enough?
I only wonder if his insights are accurate with regard to future games considering a resolution bump will be expected on many titles. Or perhaps if he was just hoping to sell the idea of a smaller storage solution, because a 4TB drive swap likely will not be feasible.

I challenge your conviction!

OK!

Would Sony be getting a better deal from AMD due to the impressive PS4 sales? Maybe for $20-$30 less but a very similarly specced gpu as XSX's? Does the fact Sony and AMD co-developed Navi play a role in getting them a cheaper BOM? So many questions.

Would Sony be getting a better deal from AMD due to the impressive PS4 sales? Maybe for $20-$30 less but a very similarly specced gpu as XSX's? Does the fact Sony and AMD co-developed Navi play a role in getting them a cheaper BOM? So many questions.
$20? Zero chance, 20cents maybe.

'The fact' is seriously in question, but if part of a deal was contributing to R&D one would need to factor the value of that R&D.

$20? Zero chance, 20cents maybe.

'The fact' is seriously in question, but if part of a deal was contributing to R&D one would need to factor the value of that R&D.
I'll say the R&D is of very high value, after all Navi is the foundation that covers more than just PS, it extends out to all tiers of PC graphics hardware both discreet and APUs. The return should be highly profitable for AMD wouldn't it?

MS probably also got similar issue right? as PS5 probably pretty similar to XSX. Like PS4 similar to X1.

if the story about expensive cooling solution, maybe thats one of the reason why XSX was a block of box with vertical airflow?

I'll say the R&D is of very high value, after all Navi is the foundation that covers more than just PS, it extends out to all tiers of PC graphics hardware both discreet and APUs. The return should be highly profitable for AMD wouldn't it?
The value of the contribution. Did a Sony student engineer scribble some crap on a napkin and give it to AMD and say 'see what you can do with this', or did dozens of highly skilled people each contribute thousands of hours to the project.

Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

- The company’s biggest headache is ensuring a reliable supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, with both in high demand as smartphone makers gear up for fifth-generation devices, according to people familiar with Sony’s operations.

Are Sony putting low power DRAM in PS5? Why? It's connected to a wall socket. Phones and tablets I get, but a console? The thermal differences aren't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back