Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder, are those PS4 (and even PS3) RT stories accurate, or was it just too slow to be practical?
RT for PS4 wasn't considered. Cerny approached devs asking what they wanted and they responded that wasn't weird and exotic, using RT as an example.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2102998/

...the final piece of feedback we received was that they didn't want exotic, if there was for example a GPU out there that could do real-time ray tracing...
This is in contrast to the memory layout that Sony did consider, up to 1 TB/s eDRAM, which devs also rejected in favour of a single memory pool.

WIll Sony go with dual-SoC's again? Main SoC + low-power SoC for always on connectivity? Or have AMD's power management improvements made this redundant?

WIll Sony go with dual-SoC's again? Main SoC + low-power SoC for always on connectivity? Or have AMD's power management improvements made this redundant?
If they really want low standby power, it's hard to beat that tiny arm core on a low power process, and very narrow ddr4 bus. They still need a south bridge as an efficient I/O fan-out anyway, so I expect they will continue in that direction.

That all depends on how they do the SSD controller. If its host level management (purpose built software) than whatever runs that will need to be powered up to do reads and writes. Or would all the magic processing be done by a tiny little arm core?

That all depends on how they do the SSD controller. If its host level management (purpose built software) than whatever runs that will need to be powered up to do reads and writes. Or would all the magic processing be done by a tiny little arm core?
I guess it depends whether they go with a standard nvme or with something lean, soldered on board.

If they have a standard nvme drive, they might simply connect it directly to the pcie lanes on the SoC and cut the middleman. Then the SB would be a normal dumb SB for the usbs, wifi, bt, and the odd.

But if they do a custom soldered on board cheap solution, they still need a chip with pcie on one side to the SoC, and parallel flash interface on the other, so might as well combine everything as the south bridge, with memory.

Third option is a full features SB with pcie to the SoC and nvme to a standard drive. It could still run file system and standby network operations, however the hardcore processing for wirespeed crypto and decompression would still be done by the SoC since it's only required by the game running. Just moving data around is not a heavy burden.

Pcie lane switching is also a thing, the SB could just take control of the pcie lanes going to the nvme when in standby and have the SoC completely off. And when powered on it relinquish the drive to the SoC lanes.

I wonder if any of these choices can be considered "elegant" from their point of view.

Last edited:
The comment about the cooling being expensive makes me worry that the V shaped cooling is official.

I'm guessing PS5 ram, SSD and cooling solution are pricier. The APUs for these systems are more than likely within the same ballpark.

Ps5 is rumored to have more ram or a better ssd ?
Series X is rumored to be more powerful. If it is, and cheaper, Sony mess up somewhere..

So expensive cooling if the article is correct or has good sources I should say.
Lends credence to the 2ghz rumour for the graphics part of the APU.

I very much expect them to take a $50 hit on the launch machines maybe even more depending on how quickly they can get the bom down.

Also the difference in price compared to the launch PS4 could just be down to the storage alone.
I mean the HDD in the PS4 was what $35? I expect the storage in the PS5 to be north of $50 by some margin maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back