PS Now: Unlimited Access To Well Over 350 PS4 Games and streaming of over 700 to PC+PS4

As I see it you can download most of PS4 or PS2 games on the list to play localy, it's very good value for $60 per year, especially for people who don't buy lot of games. Streaming is meh anyway.

Sony doesn't put their AAA 1st-party games on PS Now on day one because they can afford not to.
There's been talk about Sony implementing different tiers of subscription for Plus when the PS5 launches, but maybe they'll do the same for PS Now and on the premium-premium service they'll provide the newest games.

At the moment, I'd say PS Now is not for the seasoned gamers who want the latest games. It's for nostalgia lovers on the streamed PS3 titles + emulated PS2, and late PS4 adopters who will still get an amazing list of great games for 10€/month.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-game-pass-helped-outer-worlds-says-take-two/

IMO these services hurt the value of new games, it tends to act more like a extended demo and convince me not to buy said game. The only games I have finished on XB GP was Crackdown 3, because it was so short. Everything else I just stopped playing and was thankful I didn't pass full price. Where with a retro list or classic releases, you know what you are getting.

I know it's Screen Rant, but I thought this funny & surprising. I'm not a PS fan but I at least know about PS Now.

Sony Needs Its Own Game Pass-Like System on PS5
Xbox Game Pass is one of the biggest innovations of the generation, and it's something Sony will need to cope with looking forward to the PS5.
https://screenrant.com/sony-game-pass-system-ps5/

:oops::oops::runaway:

Tommy McClain

Remember when reporters were expected to, like, research topics they wanted to write about?

It's the Internet age, no such thing as reporters. Everyone has an opinion even it's ignorant & biased. Granted I might be biased, but I at least try not to be ignorant. SMH

Tommy McClain

I think it shows more Sony's failure at marketing if someone into console gaming doesn't know what the service is. That really is Sony's responsibility - they can't slip a service out there (or quietly update one already out) and expect people to know about it or go researching changes Sony may have made. They should have given free subs to game journalists etc., get some real coverage.

I think it shows more Sony's failure at marketing if someone into console gaming doesn't know what the service is. That really is Sony's responsibility - they can't slip a service out there (or quietly update one already out) and expect people to know about it or go researching changes Sony may have made. They should have given free subs to game journalists etc., get some real coverage.

Maybe. The service might do well with a re-launch with PS5. Maybe even a name change. Maybe that's been their plan?

Tommy McClain

If the article was about Sony's failure to market the service properly, that would be fine. But a reporter's job is to inform, and this author even claims to be a graduate of a journalism program, yet the entire premise of the piece is false due to ignorance. How hard is it to google "PlayStation gamepass competitor" before hitting that publish button?

First few results are people asking the same question with no large arrows directing to Sony PSNow.

Screenshot_20200212-180725_Chrome.jpg

First few results are people asking the same question with no large arrows directing to Sony PSNow.

What are you talking about? All the top results you're showing have the words "PlayStation Now" or "PS Now" in them. How incompetent of a reporter do you have to be to look at those results and not even think you might need to find out what PS Now is?

Too bad no Chromebook support. Not buying a PS4/5 or even a Windows device when my Xbox & Chromebook are all I should need for awhile. Considered trying it out to compare with xCloud.

Tommy McClain

It seems odd for sure. It’s like Sony has some kind of reservation holding them back.

Back in Oct, Sony stated they had 1 million subs with a projection of growing the userbase by 50% annually.

Contrast that to MS who stated they had millions of subscribers late in 2018. A year later they claimed during nov 19 that they had doubled the sub base in the last year. While last Jan they claimed they had doubled the userbase in the last quarter alone.

Given its market share, Sony should be able to easily eclipse game pass sub numbers with just the same amount of marketing MS has invested.

I wonder if Sony may be concerned that a sub based service may be somewhat disruptive to a transition to a new gen. How many would readily buy next gen consoles with a handful of launch titles when their current hardware still offers hundreds of titles they haven’t touched yet but just a download away?

Maybe Sony wants to tie the marketing with PS Now with the PS5.

Last edited:
PS Now is purely streaming, but Gamepass allows you to install the actual game, both on Xbox and PC, right? That certainly makes a difference?

PS Now is purely streaming...
See?! Loyal PS user still doesn't know what PSNow is! PSNow allows local downloads of PS4 games. About 350 local PS4 games, and another 450 titles for streaming including PS3 games. Here we are in a thread discussing the service, where this has been mentioned before, and here we have a Sony user coming in with their out-dated understanding. If that doesn't show a problem of communication from Sony, I don't know what does. ;)

True! I had no idea, only tried it a long time ago ... that said the PC difference I mentioned still holds, right? That was my main point.

Yes, Game Pass includes game for PC, although not an identical library. Streaming quality is also better for Game Pass (PSNow still capped at 720p?), and GP streams to more devices.

Back