PS Now: Unlimited Access To Well Over 350 PS4 Games and streaming of over 700 to PC+PS4

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Just noticed the Xbox Game Pass thread and realised there wasn't similar for PS Now. Discussions regarding PS Now on EG threw up that people don't seem that aware as to what PS Now is after evolving quite a lot as a service. Even I didn't realise how large a library it had until I went looking.

So, what is PS Now? It started purely as a game streaming service, but now it allows you to download and play locally a host of PS4 titles. Over 350 by this list. As such, it's comparable to XBox Game Pass as a library service.

But in addition, it maintains the game streaming, similar to XCloud, of some 700 titles including the PS4 titles, PS3 titles, and PS2 titles. Streaming is limited to PS consoles and PC.

A recent price reduction has it down to £10 a month, £50 a year, and in April 2019, long before its cost halved, it commanded over half the subscription market.

So, anyone using this? Any opinions? Why does it seem far more overlooked than other services? Is it growing or shrinking versus its rivals?

It is not highlighted properly by Sony.
New additions in gamepass are announced quite often in gaming sites, but barely for PSNow.
In my mind PS Now is like I read about it a few years ago. Very expensive service with the inconveniences of streaming.
But as you said pricing has been improved and you can download games locally which are game changers
A shame that Sony isnt communicating it properly

If Sony was including first party titles as day one playable, everyone else would take notice of it.

if someone believes this isnt going to become the Sony's gamepass over time, I bet my house against a PS5 that they are completely wrong. Mark my words.

For now it's just an unattractive proposition imho.

Did Sony make that list? :oops:

If Sony was including first party titles as day one playable, everyone else would take notice of it.
That seems to be the biggest differentiator. But then, Sony doesn't want to lose all that money!

Although an interesting point from MS is Game Pass subscribers typically spend more than non-subscribers, so Sony may have a change of heart.

Is that Sony's fault for not making a big deal of it?
Where's Kevin butler? We need him to clearly states that PS Now is

Btw does ps dashboard also advertise PS NOW?

On my Asia PS4 pro, the dash only have prominent button for ps plus, for any account region

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony doesn't put their AAA 1st-party games on PS Now on day one because they can afford not to.
There's been talk about Sony implementing different tiers of subscription for Plus when the PS5 launches, but maybe they'll do the same for PS Now and on the premium-premium service they'll provide the newest games.

At the moment, I'd say PS Now is not for the seasoned gamers who want the latest games. It's for nostalgia lovers on the streamed PS3 titles + emulated PS2, and late PS4 adopters who will still get an amazing list of great games for 10€/month.

FWIW, I've started seeing TV ads for PSNow, so Sony seem to be starting to actually want people to know it exists now.

I had another crack at the PC version a month or so back. The lack of options for touchpad inputs on the PC meant I played a hour of UC4 before I couldn't progress as it needs a click of the touchpad. Rubbish!

I had another crack at the PC version a month or so back. The lack of options for touchpad inputs on the PC meant I played a hour of UC4 before I couldn't progress as it needs a click of the touchpad. Rubbish!
Have they really made such a serious omission???

Have they really made such a serious omission???

It's Sony, what do you think?

"There is no way to map the touch pad on the DS4. You can use software to map the other buttons, but not the gestures."

"Sort of. You can emulate the ps4 dualshock touchpad click (not the swipe). I used reWASD and it worked perfectly."

"You were probably trying to play games that need the DS4 functions to work. This is usually the touchpad and/or gestures, occasionally R3 (joystick press) which I know Horizon definitely uses. You can map the start and select buttons from the touchpad as well as the rest of the buttons using PC software that tricks it into thinking you're using a DS4 when you're not, but gestures aren't mappable so you would need a DS4 controller for those games. Just plugging an Xbox controller in without any kind of mapping software doesn't work with PS Now all of the time outside of the menu AFAIK. This isn't something that is only happening to you, and is a known problem. Sony only officially support their own controllers with PS Now and so some games not working with another controller is expected."

Last edited:
Redditors complaining about how some games on PS Now are only on the service for 3 to 4 months before being removed. I guess if you're going to use PS Now you best jump in on the new games when they hit.

If your post starts with "Redditors complaining..." just don't post it. :nope:

I found the one game, that annoyed me, that I never got around to finish on the PS3. It was Spec Ops The Line, will try to give it a go. Wish I had the save game from the PS3, quite sure I had it in the cloud on PS+ for the PS3....

Edit

Seems you can, now I got a small project this weekend. Download the save game and play spec ops.

Back