New PC Monitor Advice? [2020]

From my experience both local dimming and edge lighting (both TVs and Monitors) are absolute trash on the PC. In any sort of dark scene if you also have a cursor you can just stare mesmerized (or in my case annoyed) at the blooming following the cursor around.

Even worse is that I prefer dark backgrounds for my desktop. Again, horrible with any sort of dynamic dimming because the dimming is on groups of pixels rather than per pixel. But in this case, it's no longer just the cursor that ends up being annoying but windows. Even dark gray windows on a black background will cause local dimming to pip on and suddenly the screen just looks like trash.

So, while my main monitor (TV actually) has numerous local dimming zones, I've disabled that. I'd rather have that always on IPS glow than black with IPS glow anytime anything causes a block of "black" pixels to be lit just because 1 pixel is in something that isn't black.

Hence, I really want to get an OLED set to do a long term test with. Unfortunately, none of the B9's hit the 1000 USD or less price point over Black Friday, so I'm still waiting. I've been tempted to grab a B8 as they regularly hit the 800-900 USD range, but I really want the option for 120 Hz whenever video card manufacturer's decided to support HDMI 2.1.

Regards,
SB
came across this video today talking about how OLED has lost to Microled. One of the reasons he gave is the introduction of HDR in 2015.

I purchased the 32 inch dell monitor about a month ago, and love it. The monitor out of the box is way to bright though, I had to lower to 60 percent to keep from being blinded.
nice to know you are so happy with it. It's what I read and hear from people who have that monitor.

Have you tried the settings mentioned in the Techradar review?

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...monitor-review-high-performance-work-and-play

I purchased the 32 inch dell monitor about a month ago, and love it. The monitor out of the box is way to bright though, I had to lower to 60 percent to keep from being blinded.
I wholeheartedly recommend you to use this trick, that's how HDR support improved a lot in Windows 10 in the last year and a half.

I decreased the slider, 'cos if you crank it up the screen is going to look too bright. Also, HDR content looks more vivid compared to SDR content, and this only helps confirming it. I set it at 27. You save energy, and the screen is only going to truly enable HDR when a HDR source is used.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3269591/windows-10-april-2018-update-hdr-settings.html

The HDR will show the difference between the two signals -SDR and HDR- in a youtube native HDR video against the rest of the screen, a SDR background.

Thus you have 2 colour spaces in 1: 8bit, less nits SDR and 10 bit more nits HDR. Great stuff.

Last edited:
When are dual layer lcd monitors going to become a thing? That is what I want to buy. I have been waiting for ages to buy a new monitor.

I would ike
120hz
Hdr via dual lcd.

I don't care much about the degradation of viewing angles since it is a monitor, but it seems that no one is releasing this even though it has been around since 2016 or so anD now hisense is putting it in a TV that is way bigger and likely cheaper. I don't want anything bigger than 30"really though so the small TV route is out.

When are dual layer lcd monitors going to become a thing? That is what I want to buy. I have been waiting for ages to buy a new monitor.

I would ike
120hz
Hdr via dual lcd.

I don't care much about the degradation of viewing angles since it is a monitor, but it seems that no one is releasing this even though it has been around since 2016 or so anD now hisense is putting it in a TV that is way bigger and likely cheaper. I don't want anything bigger than 30"really though so the small TV route is out.
This Acer ET322QK fulfills 2 of your requirements. It's HDR600 certified, 32" and 4k. Not bad for such a great price.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.JE2EE.C01

If you play games it would be 1 less reason to use windows (for games that work)
I use it the opposite way for games that have problems with windows 10

I use linux for gaming also, Steam proton does that very well. I also compile the latest kernel with Valve's fsync patch, Greedfall went from 20 fps in linux to 70-90 with the patch.

Woah nice but expensive, Price:£1,604.00 - £2,764.19 (according to amazon u.k)
From the comments :

"Writing this after using for a few weeks trying to resolve the flickering issue when running at high frames. Even after diagnosing the issue myself and finding forums online, I managed to find Acer's official firmware update. Still, no luck, flickering literally makes you have a headache and eye strain. Fed up - want to return to Amazon "

"Constant fan noise even when monitor is off , fan noise ramping up and down on movies , hdr gaming is excellent but low response time ghosting occurs... i have aoc agon ips 27 144hz and no problems with that and colors not that Acurate compering to ips panel two minuses for that price thank you , will get my refund and try ips ultrawide without hdr :("

From the comments :

"Writing this after using for a few weeks trying to resolve the flickering issue when running at high frames. Even after diagnosing the issue myself and finding forums online, I managed to find Acer's official firmware update. Still, no luck, flickering literally makes you have a headache and eye strain. Fed up - want to return to Amazon "

"Constant fan noise even when monitor is off , fan noise ramping up and down on movies , hdr gaming is excellent but low response time ghosting occurs... i have aoc agon ips 27 144hz and no problems with that and colors not that Acurate compering to ips panel two minuses for that price thank you , will get my refund and try ips ultrawide without hdr :("
:/ oops, I havent read the reviews but from the looks of it, it's the kind of monitor I could get if I were rich, despite the reviews. Also, it's just two reviews...., from like....thousands?

Last edited:
"Constant fan noise even when monitor is off , fan noise ramping up and down on movies "

I have an older Acer Predator (1440p 21:9) and have the "same" issue, maybe.
Mine makes a terribly annoying high pitched noise which resembles a fan. Actually it's some coil wine instead. That would explain why theirs still makes the noise with the monitor off.
But mine has a workaround which works all the time so all is great now (it was not before I discovered it) : you turn the volume of the speaker all the way to 0 and you're set, no noise at all. Maybe still valid for the newer model.

(I also have a Dell Ultrasharp 2560 x 1600 2015-2016ish era. Than one has incredibly annoying electronics pop-ing noises after you turn it down (while the electronics cool off for an hour or two)
It's amazing what big flaws these >1k $ products can still have..

From the comments :

What about this one? oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-...ce=hatch&utm_content=s15813858751332rwua52421

Your pants are on the ground already.

Back