Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC automatically gets kicked in once HDMI devices starts to ask for more data then possible with uncompressed. Next gen consoles will still be locked to 4K@12Hz0/8K@60Hz because of chipset limitation. 8K@120Hz will be probably possible with the next-next gen. Separate from DSC, HDMI 2.1 chipsets also have their own compression to keep 4K@120/8K60 data under control.

I don't think it'll have a dedicated 3D audio chip and will instead rely on gpu compute for a lot of the advanced 3D audio processing.
That may be the case. I was looking at the Wired interview with Mark Cerny from april 2019:

"The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

Anyhow it seems that we can expect a possible boost in 3D audio capabilities with better sound localisation. I guess it will be up to developers how they implement it.

I don't think it'll have a dedicated 3D audio chip and will instead rely on gpu compute for a lot of the advanced 3D audio processing. https://gpuopen.com/beyond-spatial-...eflections-third-order-ambisonics-demo-video/

Sony bought Audiokinetic, they will not use GPU compute like on PS4. This is the reason they say custom audio 3D chip.

https://www.audiokinetic.com/about/news/sony-interactive-entertainment-to-acquire-audiokinetic/

3622979-ps5.png

Audiokinetic is a software company. It makes little to no sense to do raytracing for audio on a separate chip.

It does not mean the chip will not use the raytracing data structure created for graphics. It means they will not need to use some GPU power for doing the 3D audio processing and this is very important because it means all teams can use it without impacting graphics.

https://fr.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/mm-4085-laurentbetbeder

I remember this presentation from an audio guy from Sony about audio on PS4/HSA and it is not perfect to use compute for it and not good for all usages.

In the Wired interview

"The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

Sorry I think Mark Cerny has a better idea of what is inside the PS5 than you. ;)

It does not mean the chip will not use the raytracing data structure created for graphics. It means they will not need to use some GPU power for doing the 3D audio processing and this is very important because it means all teams can use it without impacting graphics.

I remember this presentation from an audio guy from Sony about audio on PS4/HSA and it is not perfect to use compute for it and not good for all usages.

In the Wired interview

Sorry I think Mark Cerny has a better idea of what is inside the PS5 than you. ;)

Its a UNIT from amd, just like last time with ps4. It will most likely be on other amd hw before the ps5 even releases.

Its a UNIT from amd, just like last time with ps4. It will most likely be on other amd hw before the ps5 even releases.

Last time the AMD ACP(audio compute unit) unit was not use for games because it was not useful. Read at least the presentation I post into the link. Maybe it will be AMD but it will more probably not be AMD because AMD true audio use compute shading of the GPU currently. They let down the AMD ACP technology.

Last edited:
PS4 didn´t use compute for Audio, both consoles used dedicated tensilica cores because at that time the use of compute for high priority tasks like real time audio wasn´t suitable, it was corrected by AMD in later gpu parts.

PS4 didn´t use compute for Audio, both consoles used dedicated tensilica cores because at that time the use of compute for high priority tasks like real time audio wasn´t suitable, it was corrected by AMD in later gpu parts.

It does not means all audio will be on a custom unit here it is only 3D audio custom unit maybe it is a tensilica cores or other things.

Maybe most of the audio will be done on CPU.

Maybe most of the audio will be done on CPU.
Why mention game changing audio and a custom block alongside the talk of super fast storage and what that brings if the game changing audio custom hardware isn't something significant? From the quote, "significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.” Audio on the CPU would be classed as software power, certainly by an engineer like Cerny. There's no way he'd mention custom hardware and hardware horsepower if they were just using a lot of CPU/GPU processing. That concept, hardware audio, is more explicitly presented than the idea of having an SSD present (the language of the SSD being less explicit, but Sony since clarified it as such).

Why mention game changing audio and a custom block alongside the talk of super fast storage and what that brings if the game changing audio custom hardware isn't something significant? From the quote, "significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.” Audio on the CPU would be classed as software power, certainly by an engineer like Cerny. There's no way he'd mention custom hardware and hardware horsepower if they were just using a lot of CPU/GPU processing. That concept, hardware audio, is more explicitly presented than the idea of having an SSD present (the language of the SSD being less explicit, but Sony since clarified it as such).

Where did I say 3D custom audio will be done by the CPU? Spatialize the audio is not the only workload maybe all other audio part will be done on CPU.;) It was divided on CPU and GPU on PS4. They never said the custom 3D audio unit does more than spatialize the sound.

I think maybe Sony will try to take things for audio done on GPU to be done elsewhere. Maybe it will be in a full custom audio unit or maybe it will be done between a custom audio unit and the CPU.

Last edited:

In the Wired interview

The part of the article you’re underlining is not a direct quote from Mark Cerny. It’s the interpretation of the interviewer. Again, I think it makes little to no sense to have a gpu that most likely has hardware ray tracing acceleration and then not use it for audio. All of AMDs audio work is in using the gpu to do real-time 3D audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back