Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed a lot of editors from IGN and other respectable publications, and so far they operate the same way, their speculaltion follows rumors and echo chamber. There isn't more information being sourced, the only difference is that they admit it's speculation, or they clearly preamble "according to our sources". When they have real exclusive info it's massive fanfare article making it clear they know something real.

And this is the kind of phrasing and context that gets lost in translation. I.e. they believe what based on what?

We had a lot of those from IGN Italy over the years, with a weird google translate. Japanese tends to be much worse with half the words being translated as an emotion instead of a verb.
Why wouldn’t I trust rumors about Microsoft from Japan, the land of Xbox?

They've been saying that for two generations now. It has got us Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, a canceled Scalebound, and I can't think of much else to be honest.

Why just focus on exclusives, though? I wonder how many games that ended up multiplatform would have ended up being PlayStation exclusives if MS hadn't stayed engaged with the Japanese development community.

I wonder what kind of tune Sony would sing right now if PS5 is actually slightly more powerful say 13 TF. They would absolutely have no fear of announcing it early with all the specs and go for $499. Even if MS pull a 14 TF rabbit out of their hat it still wouldn't matter since the performance would be so negligible while the price wouldn't be any cheaper if not $50-$100 more.
My gut feeling tells me they're been coy mainly due to the specs and are afraid of MS undercutting them on the price if XSX is indeed 3 TF stronger.

I wonder what kind of tune Sony would sing right now if PS5 is actually slightly more powerful say 13 TF. They would absolutely have no fear of announcing it early with all the specs and go for $499. Even if MS pull a 14 TF rabbit out of their hat it still wouldn't matter since the performance would be so negligible while the price wouldn't be any cheaper if not $50-$100 more.
My gut feeling tells me they're been coy mainly due to the specs and are afraid of MS undercutting them on the price if XSX is indeed 3 TF stronger.
If PS4 is truly 9TF, I doubt the specs matter all that much in their mind. Sony has their internal data and understand why their consumers bought PS4. If Sony's suucess this generation was strictly about power they will have a machine that competes with Microsoft.

That said I think people may be in for a surprise regarding the cost of the premium Xbox... 599 in my mind is entirely possible.

If PS4 is truly 9TF, I doubt the specs matter all that much in their mind. Sony has their internal data and understand why their consumers bought PS4. If Sony's suucess this generation was strictly about power they will have a machine that competes with Microsoft.

That said I think people may be in for a surprise regarding the cost of the premium Xbox... 599 in my mind is entirely possible.
As much as I would love to buy one, a $599 Xbox or any console for that matter is basically DOA, they might as well not releasing such a SKU in the current economic climate. But then again MS could be too rich to care I guess.

Google translate says they are aiming higher according to the IGN editor. But that may not have been the translation. So just a heads up in-case it switches at a later time.

It didn't seem like the IGN editor had sources saying that ti's more powerful though.
He probably just found out about the github repository and made his own opinion about it.

Or he just needed the clicks.
Unlikely. MS are stuck at 12.X tf with their 380-400mm² RDNA1 7nm DUV APU.

He probably just found out about the github repository and made his own opinion about it.

Or he just needed the clicks.

Unlikely. MS are stuck at 12.X tf with their 380-400mm² RDNA1 7nm DUV APU.

Their clocks are much more conservative than Sony's rumored clocks on the github express. At 1.7 theyre 12, at 1.8 they're almost 13, at 1.9 they're 13.6. PS5 supposedly being 2.0. Series X also happens to look like a wind tunnel.

I've said all along I suspect MS has a lot of actual upside over 12TF if they want. I think that's one reason Phil didn't want to commit to a FLOP number, by leaving it vague they can go up or down. Besides that less hand-tipping=better.

No way MS is undercutting them on price or could that be a valid fear. Unless they really screwed something up, like put way too much money in their SSD solution being the only thing I can think of.

Too be fair, I like to point out, console screw ups do happen. PS3, 2013 Xbox One raise their hands. Less powerful, more expensive can happen I guess.

However the fact we're still on random 13TF only because it's 12+1 rumors, and that Sony says nothing amidst all this distress, still makes me thing the writing is on the wall.

It also just say Phil has already won because the best dream for Sony fans seems to be they come in 5% more powerful. Xbox sat at ~50% less powerful to start last gen. 5% less would be a colossal improvement regardless, and it's like the utter worst case apparently..

Sony has their internal data and understand why their consumers bought PS4.
I think it worth pointing out that 'Sony' isn't the same thing every generation, because the heads and staff change. We had Kutarai, Hirai, House, and now Kodera. They could have different visions (and indeed have had, as Kutaragi's craziness was replaced with the boring sense that gave us PS4). Presumably House set in motion the design for PS5 based on his ideas of what's best for PS, but it's now Kodera's vision (not Sony's, because there is no one Sony entity) to execute on that, which might involve being more tricksy with the pricing than other House was going to be be.

I think it worth pointing out that 'Sony' isn't the same thing every generation, because the heads and staff change. We had Kutarai, Hirai, House, and now Kodera. They could have different visions (and indeed have had, as Kutaragi's craziness was replaced with the boring sense that gave us PS4). Presumably House set in motion the design for PS5 based on his ideas of what's best for PS, but it's now Kodera's vision (not Sony's, because there is no one Sony entity) to execute on that, which might involve being more tricksy with the pricing than other House was going to be be.

This is not Kodera but Jim Ryan and if the staff change many were there for the generation before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back