Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But of course the jump to wild conclusions easy implication is it's something about they've got to undercut the more powerful series X by $50, $100.

I mean that's not a wild conclusion to jump to if you go by his statement...

“What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it’s very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay."

“What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it’s very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay."

I mean, you could also read it as a generic "we have a competitor, so what they do affects our pricing" statement, in which who's more powerful is irrelevant.

Or what if they are packing tremendous tech in and aiming for 599, but then MS comes in at 399, so they have to subsidize.

IMO it's easier to read it as discussing a loss leader, though. But not necessary.

The thing is they do have an public idea about MS box from the Series X reveal.

I hope they [the game industry] do, but where it makes sense for each individual developer and gameplay scenarios.
Agreed.
because in the question was mentioned 1-2 years, I expect most xgen games to be xplay. Multi-player to just look nicer, single player may contain additional benefits beyond just looks.

Albert Panello gave his interpretation of what those statements mean.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...a-pace-never-seen-before.165711/post-28842858

His view on the quote you posted above is as follows
This says to me the box is tracking more expensive, but clearly they don't want to be out of position. It's a pretty honest statement IMO. Why be first to declare price in this space if you don't have to? If MS comes in at $599 on Series X for example, that's a much different scenario then if they come in at $399.

It's super interesting related to the above statement. If they have to sell cheaper then they would like, you may adjust the launch quantities to try and wait for the cost reduction to come in. If you're going at a higher price, you may try to get more installed base more quickly. It's a very delicate dance.

I don't read this as they are "reacting" to Xbox as much as holding more option value to get the right mix of units and pricepoint. Funny thing is, I'm betting MS is thinking very similarly so this could be an interesting game of chicken.

CFExpress would be pointless. 1TB cards are just coming out now and they are ~$900....

I'm pretty sure it's going to be NVMe enclosed in a proprietary case like the hard drives for 360 were.

If it's storage expansion, I can't see why it would be anything other than M.2 NVMe using PCIe 4.0 4x. All Microsoft needs to do is include a plastic enclosure that fits.

I'm glad they are doing this. Aside from the obvious, being able to easily expand the available storage, I like being able to store games on removable storage because it allows for easy system upgrades and allows me to take my games to my friend's houses and play them without having to re-download them. Neither of these things happen very often, but when they have happened it has been really nice.

In theory SONY should have the best deal with those electronic manufacturers because PS consoles have the largest quantity of all the game hardware.

Therefore I expect PS5 will have much better memory system including SSD and RAM.

If PS5 really has great revision on its APU I am curious what kind of RAM will be adopted.

In theory SONY should have the best deal with those electronic manufacturers because PS consoles have the largest quantity of all the game hardware.

Therefore I expect PS5 will have much better memory system including SSD and RAM.

If PS5 really has great revision on its APU I am curious what kind of RAM will be adopted.
They might not be as far ahead in hardware purchasing as you think. Sony sells more consoles to us, but MS buys a lot of blades to put in their data centres. I daresay Sony still buys more but it isn't as clear as just comparing console sales.

Yes because the dram manufacturers are known for being fiercely competitive on price...

Yes because the dram manufacturers are known for being fiercely competitive on price...
They are known for being fierce negociators.

Sony negociated a procurement deal with samsung for 8GB GDDR5 back when posters on B3D said it would be $160 on the BOM because that was the latest estimate from gpu card manufacturers. They got it for nearly half that. Sony praised their procurement team for the deal.

This isn't some walmart sale on ram with coupons. Each supply contract is different.

DRAM and especially flash manufacturers have lots of potential customers and when you are securing a contract you are asking a manufacturer to allocate a portion of their production to the part you require instead of producing something else for someone else. Don't get me wrong, it will be a desirable contract to secure and companies will compete on price to get it, but there's a limit to how cheap they will go since at some point there is more money to be made by directing their limited production capacity elsewhere.

To clarify: Sony's potential to produce a lot of PS5's will absolutely allow them to secure a favorable contract for component supplies. I do not feel that the contract will be favorable enough to have a "much better memory system including SSD and RAM". That is going to require them to direct more of their component supply cost towards those things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back