Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Kensington Security Slot.
It's connected to the internal frame, so you can pass a metal cable and lock in place the devkit, to avoid things like theft, or your kid putting it on a dirty carpet and sharing pictures on the internet.
Many notebooks have one too.

It's already the 5th in my country and in an ideal space time continuum construct by now, Sony would be pouring down those sweet PS5 specs and next gen exclusives in my face like I'm a newborn. The warm and nourishing 13 TF liquid form of purity Baptiste me in my awakening as the great priest Mark Cerny blesses me again and again. Oh yes, the great one would wash away the 9.2 TF of filth that's still lingering on some of you too :).

500soupnazi.gif

If it were a slot for an internal drive, one would also want a place for mounting fasteners or screws to fix it in place. Something jostling an SSD out of place during operation is unlikely to lead to a good time.

Maybe it's for a propriety drive that is enclosed like it was on 360?

13276632.jpg

HTB1vrMhaBGE3KVjSZFhq6AkaFXaB.jpg

I dunno I am only speculating here...

It's a Kensington Security Slot.
It's connected to the internal frame, so you can pass a metal cable and lock in place the devkit, to avoid things like theft, or your kid putting it on a dirty carpet and sharing pictures on the internet.
Many notebooks have one too.

That slot is by the barcode. The Kensington icon is a padlock symbol with the broken “K”.

Well Brad Sams says he was incorrect on the port after all. Nice.

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/229355/whats-the-xbox-series-x-mystery-port-its-for-expandable-storage

A few weeks back, we got our first look at the backside of the Xbox series X. At that time, I believed the long-rectangular port between the HDMI and digital audio port that was for diagnostics and I was incorrect. That port is for storage expansion, according to people familiar with the company’s plans...

The bigger question, which I don’t know the answer to quite yet, is what technology is Microsoft using for the expandable storage.

He goes on to speculate it could be CFExpress.

Yeah, lets get some more rumors started. We don't have enough evidently. E3 can't come quick enough.

Tommy McClain

i suspect it's the same data storage unit going into Surface Duo/Neo.

Looking at the shape, it's quite similar imo.

Jez windows central said originally was debug port but then last week I think it was, that he was hearing it was expansion also.
I got the feeling that he speculated CF Express 2, not that is what he heard.

I'll just be very surprised if it does release lacking any usb c.

CF Express as storage expansion would be moronic. This niche professional SLR format will never drop in price anywhere near dram-less nvme and will be slower. They would need to make a proprietary low-grade CFExpress card themselves since all the companies making them are using robust devices that are very expensive.

So might as well either go all proprietary without being encumbered by standards, or go nvme and allow low cost PC parts.

Last edited:
I know MS have announced cross-gen support for 1-2 years but do you think there’ll also be cross gen play as well? The beauty of the mid-gen refresh was that you could still play multi-player with mates that hadn’t upgraded yet. For that to work they kept the frame rates the same and just varied the graphics. I know PC has multi-player with unlocked frame rates, but on consoles (to date) they seem to like keeping the playing field a bit more level (although the refresh console may have fewer drops in a game than the OG console so you could say they weren’t the same).

Do you think that on, say, the next Battlefield we’ll get multi-player with Xbox One, One X and Series X players all playing together or will it be old gen Xbox One and One X and new gen Series X all on its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back