Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances that mystery slot on the back of the XSX prototype is for removable/additional NVMe?

ky0Lpfl-00d3.jpg

Seems like it would be approximate size of an NVMe...

Well no one could agree on what it was for, with most suggesting it was some debug port.

If it was going to be for expandable user-replaceable storage, the hole wouldn't be wide open like that. They would at least have it looking more designed for final retail usage, such as a cover and expansion bay. Like how the PS4 drive slot is setup. https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/upgrade-playstation-4-hdd/

Well no one could agree on what it was for, with most suggesting it was some debug port.

If it was going to be for expandable user-replaceable storage, the hole wouldn't be wide open like that. They would at least have it looking more designed for final retail usage, such as a cover and expansion bay. Like how the PS4 drive slot is setup. https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/upgrade-playstation-4-hdd/

It doesn't look like a port though....it looks like a slot.

It's possible you wouldn't need all that if it were for an additional proprietary nvme that is enclosed itself. But yeah you'd have to think there would at least be a flap/cover there to prevent dust....

Would love this DS5 to be the real deal. Very nicely done! Lol to 50 hour battery life.
Whoever made this put way too much effort. I mean, this is a complete, perfectly designed product with proper packaging and a super high quality animated render. This is very nice for his product design portfolio

they also could do what SHDD did, automatically do the data location juggling

Then the console have to be powered on (or at least in idle mode) to move the data back and forth, like a auto-tiering system does. Could be nice on paper, but I doubt they implement that in a console.

On the other hand you won't get longer/more complex games on the Quest with its old mobile based SoC. It's too expensive for what it offers IMO, although I understand that it could hardly be any cheaper than it is. Also, unlike a PC or PS4 you either play a VR game or you don't play anything. To me, personally, it's not interesting at all, especially after trying one and 10 minutes later having pain on my neck.

Well, this is not true, you can hook it up to the PC wired or wireless, it's your choice. You need to read up a bit. I don't have any pain in my neck, but I put an additional battery to have as a counter weight and that works great.
Sure, it's going to get smaller in the next iteration but that's technology for you.

Well, this is not true, you can hook it up to the PC wired or wireless, it's your choice. You need to read up a bit. I don't have any pain in my neck, but I put an additional battery to have as a counter weight and that works great.
Sure, it's going to get smaller in the next iteration but that's technology for you.

Hooking it up to a PC greatly increases the cost and defeats the purpose of being accessible and the same thing for the additional battery. Those are solutions for problems the Quest have on its own and just proves that it is not a great product to begin with especially with how expensive it is, more than a Rift S. Plus you can get a PS4 Slim and PSVR for more or less the same cost of a quest and get an overall better experience, without having to buy a PC or battery pack to help with weight balance. The only thing really missing is portability, which goes out of the window if you have to connect it to a PC for better games. While it's theoretically room scale, the inside out tracking is not 100% perfect either. It is IMO a very flawed product which only benefit is portability, but at the expense of many other things.

Last edited:
Then the console have to be powered on (or at least in idle mode) to move the data back and forth, like a auto-tiering system does. Could be nice on paper, but I doubt they implement that in a console.
When I used first gen Seagate shdd on PS4 pro, the auto caching works well. Loading to different areas, opening inventory, etc were as fast as when i used a samsung ssd.

I assume it will works even better if PS5 system managing the caching, as they also cleverly put "oh now you are downloading game X, ill absolutely put the first mission on the fast cache" or something.

It doesn't look like a port though....it looks like a slot.

It's possible you wouldn't need all that if it were for an additional proprietary nvme that is enclosed itself. But yeah you'd have to think there would at least be a flap/cover there to prevent dust....
If it were a slot for an internal drive, one would also want a place for mounting fasteners or screws to fix it in place. Something jostling an SSD out of place during operation is unlikely to lead to a good time.

If it were a slot for an internal drive, one would also want a place for mounting fasteners or screws to fix it in place. Something jostling an SSD out of place during operation is unlikely to lead to a good time.

I assumed a click in and a springy click out, the same as sd cards and other insert able memory devices. It's at the back, it's unlikely to get knocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back