Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hybrid storage. Allow owners to plug in external USB3 HDD and then you just juggle games between what's installed on SSD and what's moved to mass storage.

Hopefully that juggling is done by the OS in the background. I don't want to do it myself. If it was a PC maybe, but on a console I expect a more integrated system.

Tommy McClain

Hmm. 2.5 TF difference; the same as the difference between a 2070 and a 2080 on the button.

Many benchmarks for frame rates, resolution or ray tracing settings between those 2 should provide an idea of what to expect between the 2 systems if this gap is real.

Not sure that's a good example because on PC the games are made for even lower end cards so they just scaling up when using more powerful cards but in a console situation 2.5 TF might mean you can use some new fancy technique that the weaker machine can't use.

Yes, but specifically if one is twice as fast it may allow extra game design advantages.

I know red dead redemption is over 150gb on p.c (i assume its a similar size on consoles) what is the average size of recent console games.
A lot of data is duplicated today that won’t be next gen.

An outliner example on a machine with a much bigger power difference. I recall DF being very impressed with HZD and how hard it was to tell it wasn’t native 4K.

Even 1800p vs 4k do have noticable differences when it's movin
But why would we even thinking 9.2TF=1800p is
most strange part of this discussion.
It will be both native 4k with 12T console have some advantages, period.
I suspect devs might save some of the pixel power to put towards other effects/features.

4K native is a big waste of ressources, it only matters to a few pixel counters, hell i still have a 1080p and barely see the difference between 900p and 1080p
reconstruction techniques work well now and will continue to improve.

We know for a fact that devs will sacrifice resolution for other effects if they decide to.
That extra performance can either be allocated to better framerate or other elements that may have a better impact.
So the argument that we wont be noticing much difference between the two because 1800p and 2048p isnt that noticeable is not a strong argument.
Those extra TF can be used in other ways besides resolution.
If a dev wants to target 1800p on both or even less for PS5 he will do it. The extra power will be allocated somewhere else

We know for a fact that devs will sacrifice resolution for other effects if they decide to.
That extra performance can either be allocated to better framerate or other elements that may have a better impact.
So the argument that we wont be noticing much difference between the two because 1800p and 2048p isnt that noticeable is not a strong argument.
Those extra TF can be used in other ways besides resolution.
If a dev wants to target 1800p on both or even less for PS5 he will do it. The extra power will be allocated somewhere else
Im not so sure, this gen we saw (mostly) just revolution differences - isn’t it the easiest thing to scale or FPS? Why would they add something to just one version of a game- seems like extra work for the sake of it?

I suspect next gen games will share the same ‘graphical extras’ with the odd one being different but any extra grunt going towards pushing native or FPS on the X (based on 9 v 12).

Not sure that's a good example because on PC the games are made for even lower end cards so they just scaling up when using more powerful cards but in a console situation 2.5 TF might mean you can use some new fancy technique that the weaker machine can't use.

That's already existed on PC for over 20 years now. It's not as prevalent as it used to be due to many developers focusing on consoles first, but there are still quite a few developers that implement features on higher tiers of hardware that aren't possible on lower tiers of hardware.

On PC, it's not ONLY scaling up existing graphics IQ settings or quality, but the addition of hardware features that aren't supported on lower end hardware.

RT in Control, as a recent example, isn't scaled up from anything. It's something added only for hardware that supports it.

Regards,
SB

Im not so sure, this gen we saw (mostly) just revolution differences - isn’t it the easiest thing to scale or FPS? Why would they add something to just one version of a game- seems like extra work for the sake of it?

I suspect next gen games will share the same ‘graphical extras’ with the odd one being different but any extra grunt going towards pushing native or FPS on the X (based on 9 v 12).
Effects can be scaled down too.
Also stable framerate might be a bigger problem for the lesser machine

Effects can be scaled down too.
Also stable framerate might be a bigger problem for the lesser machine
It's less to do with power and more to do with targets.
The more powerful machine can have more problems with framerates than the less if its being pushed beyond its capabilities.

In fact seen that a few times with the 1X compared to 4pro.

As a side note reconstruction can be done at 2160 as well as 1800p, so if its 4k doesn't necessarily mean it's not reconstruction.

My point is simply that the difference in resolution can quickly eat into TF's, and resolution is the easiest and usually least egregious to change. Especially as its getting harder to make it out due to how high it is and post processing etc.

It's less to do with power and more to do with targets.
The more powerful machine can have more problems with framerates than the less if its being pushed beyond its capabilities.

In fact seen that a few times with the 1X compared to 4pro.

The new CPU's are going to push the bar so much higher though...

That's already existed on PC for over 20 years now. It's not as prevalent as it used to be due to many developers focusing on consoles first, but there are still quite a few developers that implement features on higher tiers of hardware that aren't possible on lower tiers of hardware.

Yes Ray Tracing is one of those features but you don't need it. The games are still made to be run on hardware that doesn't support it. Which isn't the case for first party games coming out on console.

That's why the release of new consoles has been the catalyst for leaps on PC gaming, in the nineties you could buy a top end PC and it would be practically obsolete two years later now if you buy a top end PC at the beginning of a new gen of consoles it lasts until the next gen of consoles release, if you happy with 60fps.

would they go to 2160p since tv's dont really do that res
That's 4K TV resolution.

2tb sdd is minimum £200 is that financially possible on a console
That's retail price - console companies buying millions of units can get it cheaper. Also, the price is going to plummet over the coming years, so even if very expensive at launch, cost may be a quarter or less after two years. Thus $100 of storage for launch to secure a decent baseline, reducing to $25 in year 2, doesn't seem unreasonable.

Last gen we started with 500GB as the standard and it eventually migrated to 1TB. We'll probably see the same things this gen with 1TB->2TB.

We could see some limited edition 2TB game bundles in the first couple of years.

Not going to happen, but I really wish they’d give the option to go for a 2TB model. If the drive is swappable, I’d be upgrading it pretty soon and I’d hate to have yet another useless spare HDD that I can’t use for anything else, it’s such a waste.

If you have to "install" a game from a slower external HDD to the fast SSD before you can play it, that can get old.

Would be like loading from an optical disc.

I hope they adapt their respective fast start downloading methods so it installs the most important stuff first and you can start playing while it's still installing.

I hope they adapt their respective fast start downloading methods so it installs the most important stuff first and you can start playing while it's still installing.

I would like to see smart unloading as well. Where the OS could remove parts, (but leave the game playable)based on usage, when storage nears capacity.

Going through and manually clipping games on a relatively smaller drive is going to be tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back