Curved monitors with high Hz.

The difference is more notorious than I thought.
Thats what i've heard, when moving to a high refresh it's a case of "is that it, not much difference" but if you have to go back to 60hz it's horrible.
running a game at 120fps @120hz may be nice, but I wonder what 40fps @120hz is like

Thats what i've heard, when moving to a high refresh it's a case of "is that it, not much difference" but if you have to go back to 60hz it's horrible.
running a game at 120fps @120hz may be nice, but I wonder what 40fps @120hz is like
it's horrible, I can tell you. Quite a few monitors nowadays work at a bare minimum of 48Hz, anything below that...LFC should kick in. If for whatever reason it doesn't work or can't work be prepared to a dance of slides like you've never seen.

In addition, high refresh rate monitors, when the framerate is so low and LFC has to kick in, change their brightness level. I suffered it, it's like the screen is flashing, the contrast changes a lot so suddenly without apparent reason. Not funny. :cry::-x

More on that here:

Today I have had my 1st complete HDR experience in a game: A Plague Tale Innocence. And it's like love at first sight! How you distinguish the light areas from the dark, the stunning contrast.... I dont know. When I tried the 4k for the 1st time ok, it wasn't bad, but I didn't feel nearly the same as with HDR. :LOL::mrgreen:

List of games that support HDR on PC:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_high_dynamic_range_display_(HDR)

There are also games not listed there which support HDR10, such as the wonderful A Plague Tale Innocence.

In order to enable HDR in A Plague Tale... Just go to Documents\My Games\A Plague Tale Innocence , open ENGINESETTINGS, and Open with -choose Notepad for instance-:

In the line where it says HDR10 set it to Enabled 1. Enjoy. Full ENGINESETTINGS file below:

Version 66
{Video
Adapter "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080"
Monitor 0
Windowed 0
FullscreenBorderless 0
Resolution 2560 1440
PrimaryScaling 1.000000
SecondaryScaling 1.000000
VSync 0
TextureQuality 1
TextureFiltering 0
PosX 0
PosY 0
}
{Graphics
Version 1.0.4
{Platform
EPlatform 0
}
{HDR10
Enabled 1
}
{Texture
MaxAnisotropy 16
LODBias 0
MaxLOD 0
}
{DrawDistance
DrawDistanceMultiplier 1.500000
MIDrawDistanceMultiplier 1.500000
}
{MassInstancing
TrimRatio 0.700000
}
{Terrain
}
{Shadows
MaxSliceCount 4
Size 3
MaxDist 10000.000000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.100000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.100000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.100000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.100000
OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.000000
}
{SSRaytracedShadows
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{Water
FFTSize 512
}
{VolumetricClouds
Quality 3
}
{VolumetricLights
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{LightShafts
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{SSR
Enabled 1
HalfRes 0
Quality 2
}
{SSAO
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{SSSSS
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
{AA
Enabled 1
Type 2
Quality 2
}
{Bloom
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{DOF
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{MotionBlur
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
{PostProcess
Enabled 1
EyeAdaptation 1
ColorGrading 1
Sharpen 1
Fringe 0
LensDistortion 1
Dirt 1
LensFlare 1
FilmGrain 0
Vignette 0
LensBlurMultiplier 0.100000
FringeMultiplier 0.100000
}
}

Last edited:
HOW TO CAPTURE HDR IMAGES WITH HDR ENABLED IN YOUR MONITOR

First don't try to capture images with the wonderful Windows Clipping tool or Snip & Sketch, Lightshot, etc. They are great utilities but they won't make the cut to capture native HDR on screen. The screens will come out with the whites shattering the blacks and all the dark text will be covered in white.

This from my own experience.

THE ONLY WAY TO CAPTURE HDR

Unless I learn another method..., I only found one option. It is done with the Xbox Game Bar. If you have the original Xbox One controller, you can enable the Xbox Game Bar by simply pressing the big circular button at the center of the gamepad.

It's the only way to take true HDR screenshots, and creates the metadata file in .jxr format with the HDR data.

It is how I got the images below, if not it'd be directly impossible.

Last edited:
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SDR and HDR

HDR is best seen when there are very bright lights and very dark areas and colors in between.

For example, with HDR the sunlight on screen "bothers" your eyes as it does in real life, and you feel like you have to squint or close your eyes.

This is what an SDR video looks like compared to HDR.

(images below taken by me on my computer, a bit amateurish but still)

SDR format (whites appear too bright and detail is lost in the image, blacks don't look much dark, colors are bad). Some of the wolf's fur is directly invisible.

MGyithF.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HDR Format. Details are much better.

It is not the best image to compare because ideally images with many colors and very dark areas next to very light areas, but that is what I had at the time improvising.

jn1ShOA.png

HOW TO KNOW IF YOUTUBE VIDEOS THAT ARE NATIVE HDR ARE PLAYING IN HDR

This also determines whether the monitor is capable of playing HDR10 content.

As you can see in one of the above images, Youtube automatically detects if the monitor supports HDR - you should have it enabled on the monitor, of course- and place a small label that says HDR on the gear to the bottom right.

The video where I took both screengrabs from:

For office work, browsing, reading, etc, SDR is more than enough. Only enable the HDR on the monitor when you are about to use HDR content, in games and so on.

Last edited:
tried Halo Reach, which was advertised as HDR compatible, but I tried and the game looks good but it doesnt have HDR. I read the borderless fixes that, but I am not sure, gotta try it.

Also, there is a settings file you can edit where you can enable HDR, but I havent tried yet: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\MCC\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

A new 1,54GB patch has been published today. Hopefully it adds HDR support.

Cyan you do realise that only people with 4k hdr monitors can see the point your trying to make with those 4k hdr video's ;)

Cyan you do realise that only people with 4k hdr monitors can see the point your trying to make with those 4k hdr video's ;)
My goal is to keep this thread as informative as possible in every post. Plus, I recently made this discovery which allows me to keep HDR signal on all the time without thing being overly bright in SDR mode -Windows overall, programming, browsing, office, etc-.

I wholeheartedly recommend you to use this trick, that's how HDR support improved a lot in Windows 10 in the last year and a half. I turned it down, 'cos if you crank it up the screen is going to look too bright. Also, HDR content looks more vivid compared to SDR content, and this only helps confirming it. I set it at 27. You save energy, and the screen is only going to truly enable HDR when a HDR source is used.

The HDR will show the difference between the two signals -SDR and HDR- in a youtube native HDR video against the rest of the screen, a SDR background.

You have 2 colour spaces in 1: 8bit, less nits SDR and 10 bit more nits HDR. Great stuff.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3269591/windows-10-april-2018-update-hdr-settings.html

EDIT: Can a moderator please help me and add "HDR monitors" to the title of the thread? Btw, my monitor is 1440p, not 4k (wouldn't mind but I am not dazzled by 4k)

Last edited:
So I am using my old 4k 60Hz TN monitor for the time being. Playing games on it is okay, at 60Hz it is bearable. Still I was getting used to a monitor with a higher framerate and when performing certain actions I miss the smoothness those give you. The difference is more notorious than I thought.

There is actually a rather long period of adjustment to a higher framerate monitor if you are used to lower frame rates. At first it ”merely” offers better smoothness of motion, but gradually you will adjust your game play to having better positional and more importantly movement vector information. You will make quicker turns since you are less likely to get momentarily disoriented, you will be able to snap aim (with mouse) since the entire system of latency, opponent movement vector and your precision in angular velocity will have improved across the board, and so on.
Once that adjustment has been done and integrated into your motor memory, going down in frame rate will be ... an unhappy experience. Different genres have different needs, obviously, but I really enjoy the sense of immediate control regardless.

There is actually a rather long period of adjustment to a higher framerate monitor if you are used to lower frame rates. At first it ”merely” offers better smoothness of motion, but gradually you will adjust your game play to having better positional and more importantly movement vector information. You will make quicker turns since you are less likely to get momentarily disoriented, you will be able to snap aim (with mouse) since the entire system of latency, opponent movement vector and your precision in angular velocity will have improved across the board, and so on.
Once that adjustment has been done and integrated into your motor memory, going down in frame rate will be ... an unhappy experience. Different genres have different needs, obviously, but I really enjoy the sense of immediate control regardless.
maybe you feel the same as me. I can´t go back from 240Hz or 165Hz now. Once you get used to it, it becomes a much more comfortable and lifelike viewing experience.

Playing Halo Reach for instance, feels as if you were there. Xenon Racer and Redout....., it's quite the experience.

Something I noticed is that my previous 240Hz monitor with GSync was less stable than my Freesync 2 hdr monitor -165Hz-. Perhaps it was due to the fact that the GPU was much under stress but 144-165fps are very easy to achieve on PC.

My previous monitor didnt have the GSync chip, it was meant to be Gsync compatible, but Freesync works a lot better for me overall, enabled via nVidia Control Panel as Gsync.

Tried the HDR in Metro Exodus yesterday. And it's the best HDR implementation I've seen. The colors are very vibrant, and when the sunlight hits you directly, it bothers your eyes as in real life. In fact the effect gives me the goosebumps because it feels real and I want to look but I have to move the camera around not to keep my eyelids constantly closing.

At first I thought A Plague Tale had HDR on PC, but it doesnt. Enabling HDR on the ini files and in the monitor, seems to work if you are new to the game, because the lighting of the game and the graphics are some of the most beautiful.

But yesterday I disabled the hdr of the monitor ingame, reenabled it, disabled it again, and the game didnt look any different. So the HDR implementation of A Plague Tale Innocence is broken.

Love the game to death anyways.

Stable 40 fps is a nice upgrade to 30fps, every bit helps in low framerates.
Could be nice if some games allow it as a choice when 120hz TVs are used.

Well i did mean if the game is so demanding (or your gfx card is not powerfull) that a max of 40 fps is all you can get
does it feel worse on a high refresh monitor than it does on a 60hz monitor

Well i did mean if the game is so demanding (or your gfx card is not powerfull) that a max of 40 fps is all you can get
does it feel worse on a high refresh monitor than it does on a 60hz monitor
No.

Any problems on 60hz monitor will cause 16ms hitches, on 120hz it's 8ms.
Also the additional stable frame rates can mean less problems overall.

Back