Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know red dead redemption is over 150gb on p.c (i assume its a similar size on consoles) what is the average size of recent console games.

I am looking at this gen.
It's possible the only difference could be resolution, say 1800p.vs 2160p.
Every other effect the same. So you think res will make that much of a difference when that high etc

Previous gens was lot easier to tell the difference, its getting harder. If the systems are like what is being presented it will only get harder even by top tier experts like DF.

There's already been games where they've had to speculate that the 1X was higher resolution, but everything else the same. If it's that close then loading is an easily measurable difference, especially by every other journalist.

This is if all things being equal apart from TF and SSD.

but what if the cheaper one is the faster one?

The point is if everything else is perceptualy the same, what will the reviews of multi gens be.
TF isn't even known by most journalists, if game looks and plays the same, the only people who care are us in the forums
Like i said, Sony need to full force the marketing to make it like 2013 or it won't affect anything for mainstream people like this: PS5 is less powerful but cheaper, XSX is more powerful but more expensive.
And no, journalists do know the TFs just like resolution, because it's a easy number: bigger means better(unless PS5 or XSX using GCN).
And resolution is top reason for people getting PS4:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ing-ps4-purchases-is-better-resolution-survey

I don't know if next gen is supposed to be marketed as 4K native. While the Pro and X1X were marketed as the 4K variants of the existing base consoles; I don't think that will be the messaging necessarily for next gen. They don't need to adhere to 4K if they are pushing higher graphical options or frame rates.

I honestly don't know what they'll do, but if htey want to show next gen graphics, they'll need next generation methods. Otherwise it's thus this mid-gen refresh generation + higher fps
I don't think native will be a big thing from most devs and gamers perspective.
I would need to check if I said native, if I did it wasn't the emphasis of what I meant at all.

My point is that at 1800p to 4k, even pretty close to the screen is hard to see the difference for most people. Especially now that reconstruction and post effects are being used a lot, makes it even harder.

And no, journalists do know the TFs just like resolution, because it's a easy number: bigger means better(unless PS5 or XSX using GCN).
And resolution is top reason for people getting PS4:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ing-ps4-purchases-is-better-resolution-survey
At lower resolution its easier to see the difference.
Difference between 900p and 1080p is bigger than 1800p to 2160p.

That's why I said the higher the resolution.
Then take into account, distance and size of screen, reconstruction, post effects, it's only getting harder to tell the difference between resolution.

Last edited:
I don't think native will be a big thing from most devs and gamers perspective.
I would need to check if I said native, if I did it wasn't the emphasis of what I meant at all.

My point is that at 1800p to 4k, even pretty close to the screen is hard to see the difference for most people. Especially now that reconstruction and post effects are being used a lot, makes it even harder.
Seriously if it's indeed 2.8TF difference unless it's super niche or small developers, otherwise i believe we will see the more than just resolution difference for both console.
Yeah 9.2TF(and it's navi TF!) is very strong but please don't act like 2.8TF more than that means nothing.

At lower resolution its easier to see the difference.
Difference between 900p and 1080p is bigger than 1800p to 2160p.

That's why I said the higher the resolution.
Then take into account, distance and size of screen, reconstruction, post effects, it's only getting harder to tell the difference between resolution.
Not so hard to tell the difference for me fam.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

How much of that 150GB is actually necessary to play at one setting?
You mean one sitting? ive no idea but whatever that number is if the game isnt all stored on a drive in the console since it looks like physical mediums are disapearing (blu-ray,dvd-ram ect)
that amount will have to be streamed from the internet.

No I mean one graphics setting. PC games often install with many texture packs and languages.

Btw rdr2 is ~107 GB on xb1

Last edited:
XBX is 50% stronger than the Pro. The expected difference between PS5 and XBSX is half that.

Also, RDR2 looks good even on base PS4. OFC pixel counters will always find the difference.
If I remember correctly RDR2 on 4pro CB rendering or something that didn't work so well for it.
Can find good and bad exaples to prove points. The fact is DF has made it a point to highlight how hard pixel counting is getting and why. With all the implications that it brings.
Most journalists won't be pixel counting, even if they could.

The thing is how much TF is required to go from 1800p using 9TF to 2160p. How much if any will be left for anything else. I think there's a serious misunderstanding how much power can be used on just resolution.

Even 1800p vs 4k do have noticable differences when it's movin
But why would we even thinking 9.2TF=1800p is
most strange part of this discussion.
It will be both native 4k with 12T console have some advantages, period.

Hmm. 2.5 TF difference; the same as the difference between a 2070 and a 2080 on the button.

Many benchmarks for frame rates, resolution or ray tracing settings between those 2 should provide an idea of what to expect between the 2 systems if this gap is real.

Hmm. 2.5 TF difference; the same as the difference between a 2070 and a 2080 on the button.

Many benchmarks for frame rates, resolution or ray tracing settings between those 2 should provide an idea of what to expect between the 2 systems if this gap is real.
I rather wait for RX series to compare(i know top RX cards are not out yet)
Come on man even NVIDIA have "N", "A", "V" and "I" but it's still not the same as Navi series.

1TB of storage is going to be an unusable piece of shit, but as long as we can upgrade it it's going to be fine.

Curious how it will be handled given the tech...

If there is no user upgradeability and these launch consoles are 1TB(they almost undoubtedly will be)....that's going to be a massive early adopter tax.

Even 1800p vs 4k do have noticable differences when it's movin
But why would we even thinking 9.2TF=1800p is
most strange part of this discussion.
It will be both native 4k with 12T console have some advantages, period.
Why would both be 4k?
If the 9TF is 4k due to being lead platform, then probably see even less difference.
Its not mandated to be 4k, the reason to lower resolution is to get closer to the same flop per pixel, which makes it easier.
If it's better to keep both at 4k and drop some settings they'll do that, whichever gives the best presentation.

Lot more than just simple TF that will determine the overall capabilities and perceived differences of the consoles. Especially when talking those resolutions and how engines are progressing.

Hybrid storage. Allow owners to plug in external USB3 HDD and then you just juggle games between what's installed on SSD and what's moved to mass storage.

Hybrid storage. Allow owners to plug in external USB3 HDD and then you just juggle games between what's installed on SSD and what's moved to mass storage.

they also could do what SHDD did, automatically do the data location juggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back